Spots on 2015 P ATB coins

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by syracuse, Nov 4, 2015.

1. syracuse

syracuse New Member

Received 5 P version ATB coins from US mint.
    4 of them have spots on one side at least. Probably just dust spots which were not cleaned completed at the end of minting process.

Wonder if I should return or keep those.

BTW, it is so hard to open the capsules. Any tips?

2. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

Which state(s), in particular?

I've heard of this before.. Spotting popping up on some of the 2015 P's. Kinda crappy if you ask me. Sad to hear this still happening, especially if these are of the last release or two.

From what I understand, you have to pay your own shipping when sending back to the Mint. And who knows what you might get back, if doing exchanges.

Yeah, those ATB P capsules are ridiculous. I've opened mine to get rid of the fuzz trapped around the edge.

Takes forever.. Trick is to get your fingernails in there, pry up a bit, rotate the capsule, pry up a bit in the new spot, wash rinse & repeat.

Careful you don't break it, and/or have the coin go flying out. I open mine over my bed, just to be safe.

3. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

I use a razor blade to open the capsule...stick between and pry a little bit and move slightly over then repeat many times....takes a while to get it to a point where I can then pull cap halves open by hand.

4. syracuse

syracuse New Member

found all 5 have spots on.

I am returning them all to US mint today. Say bye-bye to P version ATB from now.

5. mtforpar

mtforpar Member

If one looks closely enough you will find a lot of the P versions have spots. This is nothing new to me. Sometimes you have to have just the right light and try different angles. I still enjoy them, even the ones with the hard to find spots.