Newbie who now has skin in the game and questions.

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by BacktoGoldStandard, Oct 29, 2015.

1. BacktoGoldStandard

BacktoGoldStandard New Member

Good day all,

Ive been looking into collecting/stacking silver and gold now for 18 months. And have been reading and learning from this forum all that time. I have only recently taken the dive in and now I feel ready to join in the discussion.
    My first purchases of silver were in maple leafs. All the 2015 ones I have brought are already covered in milk spots and although I brought them as bullion it still bugs me that its not sparkly and shiny any more (lol). Interesting that older maple leafs I have still look great. 2009-2011.
    Anyway, I have decided to look more into silver coins that gain in value and are a silver play. Hence, Pandas and Perth Mint coins (Kooks and Lunar).

I have seen a thread on here about new problems with Perth mint milk spotting and find it very off putting to say the least. I was thinking of investing in Kooks and lunars (2016), particularly the Kook (it is a very pretty coin) but am now wondering if I would be better sticking to Pandas until we see how the new perth mint 2016 stuff gets on with some 'air time' so to speak. Thoughts and advice anyone?

2. iceblue

iceblue Well-Known Member

Welcome, seems you have the bug real bad - take 2oz of silver and if symptoms persist - buy more!!!
    Milkspots are a gamble on lots of items, have seen them on just about every "brand" out there - luck of the draw. Maples are renown for them tho.
    This years kook is great.

3. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Welcome :)

You looked into stacking for 18m and the first thing you bought were Maples?! Oh dear!

I've given up on coins because of those kinds of issues. Someone could have 100 of the 2106 Kook and they'd be perfect yet your 1 Kook could be covered in milky delight. Panda's spot too but I think in general you're that bit safer given recent complaints.

Don't forget to use the other stacking clichs of 'pull the trigger' and 'I've still got some powder dry" ;)

4. sterling-nz

sterling-nz Well-Known Member

House you forgot "just bought on the dip"

5. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

what about "to the moon" and "back the truck up"?

welcome new stacker, buy generic rounds or bars, much better investment and easy to flip at low premium

6. shinymetal

shinymetal Well-Known Member

7. BacktoGoldStandard

BacktoGoldStandard New Member

Haha, thank you guys. The reason I brought Maples is because that is what is readily available in my city. Although I did pick 1 2014 silver Panda. Thank you for the cliches.think Ive got them all ready to go.to da moon!!!!!!

8. neonuke

neonuke Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

welcome!

i do not buy modern bullion any more except for 1oz lunars to keep my collection going.

i only deal with junk silver and gold sovereigns these days. both were meant to be for circulation so do not have issues with milkspotting.

it's just my personal preference, and i can always buy and sell Aussie pre decimal and round 50s very easily being recognisable and liquid.

gold sovereigns are hands down my favourite for their history and varieties and rarities, etc. they move around a bit with spot but the rare and scarce ones hold their premium over spot pretty well.

you may find over time you will find your niche in what you like to stack.

9. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Apologies, we seem to have forgotten "sorry guys, I just bought $5k of metal so the smackdown was my fault".

If Maples are readily available and in demand for resale then they're probably a decent buy. Stackers in Aus aren't fans but Maples, for whatever reason, have been continually hitting all time highs for sales for the last few years despite the inevitable infection of Chlamylkia

10. Stroctor

Stroctor New Member

If you like bullion I would suggest American Eagles . Probably the least pretty of the coins , but the non shiney look makes them less susceptible to spotting. They are .999 instead of .9999 like the maples. Peace dollars are decent too as they can usually be had in great condition at much less premium over morgens.

11. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Welcome to the SS forum.

From what I've read (and have personally seen to some extent), milk spots are being found on every type of bullion coin produced by the Perth Mint including Kooks. So there is always going to be risk with buying these coins because it may not have milk spots when you buy them but a year down the road they could develop those dreaded spots.

If you are looking to buy silver product for the value of the silver content and wanting to avoid the risk of paying high premiums for Perth Mint (or whatever other mint) bullion coins that might develop spots over time, then you are much better off buying blobs (common, non-denom bars or rounds). You will be paying the least premium for these and it won't matter that they develop milk spots, age spots, rabbititis, or whatever else because the people who would want to buy it won't be worried about any of that.

Bottom line, you have to know why you are buying silver products and the risks vs the rewards of paying higher premiums for bullion coins that have some likelihood of developing spots (some more likely than others).

12. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Well-Known Member

Some of the minuted bars are pretty low premium and very nice to look at.
    e.g.
    http://www.perthbullion.com/shop/listings/10-oz-silver-bars/sort_by/price/sort_direction/asc/
    The RCM 10oz bar is the cheapest one on the market and very nice.

13. Bosse68

Bosse68 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Welcome to the evil world of collecting :)

14. JNS

JNS Active Member Silver Stacker

Welcome, I also been new on the forum but reading here, there and everywhere.

I collect any type of silver and gold, when the first time i buy silver coins, i bought each kind available on the store including the rounds and oz bar. I started examining them. After that silver bugs get into my head, i do not care at all for what type, bars, coins, medals and ingots, as long as it is in my fair price. Because in my place, silver/gold coins are only available in high premium, i took the opportunity buying outside my country. Kook and pandas is one of the best buy i ever had till now.

My problem is how to take out the gold and silver bug in my head.

So, for me, i will go for panda and kooks

15. Bullion Pirate

Bullion Pirate New Member

I personally like bars. I just like the way they look, and store, better than rounds; we are stackers after all.... Rounds just allow you the possibility of still making a profit if spot drops, which can be important.

I look at it this way: I buy as a hobby. Does that mean I want to see what I buy drop in value? no. But will I admire the "shiny" less? no. I have no doubt in my mind that I will get a positive return on my investment EVENTUALLY. But for now I buy what I like and what has a low premium.... they aren't always the same thing, but I keep what I like to look at and sell the other stuff when it makes sense to me, whether or not I make money on it.

I'm probably considered sloppy by most people, but hey, I like it all as much as everyone here and have made and lost money. Overall I'm in the black... game winning plan to me

16. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Well-Known Member

17. Topherclaus

Topherclaus Active Member

I'm also new to the game and have been buying in 20-25 tubes then and ordering 1 extra at a time to keep as a display of each. If the single milkspots is thwrestling a risk that the sealed tubes will have also or will they likely be safe?

18. Justfishin

Justfishin New Member

The faster it is exposed to the air,faster milk spots happen.

19. Shippeevt

Shippeevt Member

It would be interning to do a test on this. Sealed tube coin versus not. I feel like someone was on here at some point. I remember when I saw my first milkspot... I felt like I needed to separate it from the others lol.