Coin of the year... Return on investment

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Shippeevt, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Shippeevt

Shippeevt Member

Another forum is having a discussion on what people think the best bullion coin to have bought this year, based on return of investment. The other forum is mainly people from the U.S. And I thought I would be good to hear from guys, mostly it seems people here are from Australia... So what do you think? The top three in U.S. seem to be the panda, 5 oz goat, and libertads... Me and a few other people are banking on the 5 oz goat... How about you?

2. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

^^Agree with BB (post 2) 1oz and 2oz PM horses.

Regards Errol 43

3. Shippeevt

Shippeevt Member

28$ Aud? That's great either way! What about 2015 stuff...

4. ego2spare

ego2spare Well-Known Member

the 2014 $1 mob of roos by far... their kinda gold.

5. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Must the product be a bullion coin and not some other type of silver product or coin like a bullion round or bar or a (semi)numi coin?

6. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

mob of roos for sure, got a nice bundle from a certain good guy at a resonable price too :)

if you want the sheeple n board you need something easily attainaable low cost and you got a winner

7. Silverpv

Silverpv New Member

My best were the Coins and Chronicles sets by far up to 300% each up until Eisenhower, followed up by the Goddesses of Olympus (100%) in less than a month. I didn't keep any and have no regrets of letting them go. If someone make more from it, I'm happy with my cut. For straight bullion, the 1/2 oz goat/lunars bought at $11.20/roll and sell consistently at $16. I know they can go up a little more, but they move fast and 31% turnaround profit in a matter of months is hard to beat. I don't like waiting to grow profit yield 10-20%, someone else can have it, so its more fair and I can keep stackin!

8. Shippeevt

Shippeevt Member

it can be whatever you think... Just curious what people think is gonna be a winner in say 3-5 years, regardless of spot... Just like to hear why people think certain things about what... Personally I'm pretty into gold libertad proofs for this year... I think it's gonna be another low year.

9. sterling-nz

sterling-nz Well-Known Member

With this attitude ^^^^ you will make a lot of money and FRIENDS in the process.
    Good to see some out here with common sense.

10. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

What is a winner in 3 - 5 months may not be a winner in 3 - 5 years....sentiment changes so much and so quickly it seems.

I've only been stacking for about 3 years so I can only tell you what I've observed during this period of time as a consumer at the retail level. What seems to be in line for positive sentiment (and therefore good ROI) over the next few years is high relief coins, medals, and rounds. High relief is a trend that has only just started to really become a serious thing within the last 2 years or so. Sure there have been a few high relief medals or coins produced in the past....but very few comparatively.

Today, it's a whole new movement it seems and quite a number of them are getting very nice ROI including the Gods and Goddesses of Olympus series (both of which suck really bad in terms of quality of design in my opinion), the LunarSkulls (the proof version in particular), the Privateer round and possibly the American Landmarks 2 oz silver rounds (which just started as a series), some recent Chinese medals, the soon to be released 3 oz "max high relief" Odin coin will likely do quite well, and so on and so forth.

Just imagine the Mint of Mexico producing a high relief proof Libertad.....how sweet that could be. SilverPete, that would be a coin that you could really appreciate! ;) :D

I don't think it's possible if one is conscious and one is an active buyer in the market for silver to sensibly deny the new high relief trend today. Just a month or so ago the U.S. Mint released it's high relief gold American Liberty coin. Thus far, sales are not hot but that could be because of other factors....and who's to say that when they do reach sold out status that there won't be increased demand. I think it's likely, more than just possible.

So my "coin of the year" is more like a "coin type of the year"....high relief. I'm going with it!

11. Shippeevt

Shippeevt Member

I could really be into a high relief libertad too!!! Someone call up Mexico!!!

12. bloomst

bloomst Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Why the 5oz Goat?

13. Silverpv

Silverpv New Member

Typically lower mintage than most of the other denominations of the lunar series that is still relatively affordable

14. Lunardragon

Lunardragon Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Interesting...............

15. milkyspot

milkyspot Member

i am flipping austrian niobs. got them for 58 euro and selling them for 83 -85 euro. So its about 41% on average.
    2015 1/10 oz pandas are also performing very good, but they are not ment to be sold

16. milkyspot

milkyspot Member

olympus gods, skulls etc. is too much gambling for me.

17. johnnyhann

johnnyhann Active Member Silver Stacker

Please tell me those 1/2 prices are USD if not I'm doing it wrong!

18. Silverpv

Silverpv New Member

Yes, this is USD. The ran on sale by BPM on ebay for $222 per roll. Apmex is selling the 1/2 monkeys for 12.60 ish/per. If there's a deal and they drop into the 11's that's usually when I buy a bunch to hoard, i mean stack and sell.

19. Director

Director Member

The burning maple leaf was a good buy, I bought one on issue for about $100. They go on ebay for $400-$500.

20. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

I don't think there has been a significant increase in high relief coins, people are just paying more attention to them on the forum. If I were to pick the year high relief was popular it would have been 2011, prices were up and year the dragon hype was in full swing.

I think now that prices are down everyone is trying to combat low revenue with gimmicks. A forward thinker should be using this time to buy Pandas, lunars and kooks of all years - that is where you'll make your money on the next wave up. They are the only 3 series you are guaranteed a return on longterm if you know what and when to buy.

the rest is just noise.