My Fake Panda Picture

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by barsenault, Aug 7, 2015.

1. mtforpar

mtforpar Member

Yes, I am a golfer.

The biggest challenge I find with Pandas is not determining whether a coin is a fake when one has the real thing to compare it to, It is determining whether a coin is a fake when you are only holding that single coin in your hand and it is sealed. Like walking a coin show for instance. Weight and dimensions are the easiest way to spot one quickly...Most fakes (not all) do not weigh correctly. Of course, on eBay you cannot weigh or measure it. Then the coin arrives sealed so one does not want to break the seal as to diminish the investment so there is sits in your collection ....a fake coin. When if you just weighed and measured it you would know right away it was fake.

Another quick tip is to know the edge reeding style of the coin in question. I think after 2001 all reeds are angular so straight reeds are a quick fake tip off.

If you a buying deals on Pandas from Poland, the Czech Republic, China and the like there is a great chance you are buying fake coins.

The best advice I can offer is to look at lots of the real thing. Know what it looks like. Once you have handled enough of the real thing your spidey senses will tingle when in the presence of a fake. Then the challenge is to listen to them and not talk yourself out of believing your intuition.

2. 1ozTrOy

1ozTrOy New Member

One thing ive always notice is the nose on the fake one are not polished. They should be same as the mirror finished background.
    So I will have to agree that the 2005 panda imo is a definite fake.

These fake ones are becoming really really good fake. Hopefully they dont start polishing the noses.

3. KeepOnTrying!

KeepOnTrying! Member

And hope they don't start using .999 silver for the fake coins!

4. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

there are many good fake in .999 and even slab by NGC. LMAO

5. KeepOnTrying!

KeepOnTrying! Member

Wow. So we are already there!

6. Razz

Razz Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

basterds

7. picturefun

picturefun Member

If people want to blame, they should blame Ebay to provide the Platform for those faked ones sold. And I personally reported a couple, never heard anything back from Ebay. Ebay just want to make commission. nothing else is on their mind.

By the way, China has 1.4 BILLION CHINESE + 50 Million Overseas Chinese!! For every Chinese who sell fakes on Ebay, there are 10+ who sell the REAL ones!

There are enough reliable dealers in the U.S. who sell REAL panda coins at very reasonable price, so those who are willing to take the chance, and thought they got a bargain, are asking for trouble themselves voluntarily.

8. picturefun

picturefun Member

9. picturefun

picturefun Member

The picture at the top is NOT big and clear enough to compare.