Krugerrands or Eagles?

Discussion in 'Gold' started by Stroctor, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Stroctor

Stroctor New Member

I am looking to make my first gold purchase and am thinking of buying a 1/4oz coin. I understand the premium is higher for the smaller denominations, but I don't think I will ever be able to drop 1200$ US on a single coin, so buying the 1/4 oz makes more sense to me. Coming up with 300$ is alot easier. I live in the states so an Eagle seems like a no brainer, but I really like the looks of the Krugerrands. Eventually I will probably buy both. Is there any pro or con with either that I should take into account or is it more of a personal preference. Also, is it easy to fake 1/4 oz coins, or is it too much of a hassle with such a small coin for the counterfeiter?

2. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

In the US, go with the gold eagles. Highly liquid, and if anyone ever sells you a counterfeit one, the Secret Service will come down on them like a ton of bricks as counterfeit US currency falls under their jurisdiction. A fake Krugerrand has no such recourse in the states.

3. Stroctor

Stroctor New Member

Thanks, that's a definite plus in the pro eagle column. Have you heard of fake 1/4oz coins?

4. Porcello

Porcello New Member

Never heard about fake fractional Eagles. The 1oz fakes exist and apparently are really good!

5. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

1/4oz? Eagles since you're in the US.

6. Stroctor

Stroctor New Member

I will be going to a large coin show tomorrow and will keep an eye out for the eagles. I have bought from Apmex in the past for other purchases when the deals are right, and would trust them with the Kruggerands as far as being fakes go. Couldnt imagine they would sell fakes and would/should be able to tell the difference.

7. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

I'm in the US, and I hate AGE's.. :lol:

Not like I'm a big Au buyer to begin with, but it will be a long time before I pick one up -- if ever.

I can deal with the 22K (prefer 24K).. Just don't really like the AGE designs.

I vote for the Krug.. :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. phrenzy

phrenzy In Memoriam - July 2017 Silver Stacker

If you don't mind doing some digging / hunting then you might consider a liberty half eagle, an old $5 gold piece. The disadvantage is that they have slightly less than the 1/4 ounce you're looking for (.241oz instead of .25). If you can find a nice example of an older date at a reasonable price I think that's the way to go, sort of like picking up nicer old sovereigns here at near bullion prices. If the gold price goes up then the value of your gold coin goes up, but on the way down the fact that it's an interesting, good looking and often collected coin will insulate you a little and it won't drop as fast or as far as your purely bullion modern gold eagle.

This only really works if you can find a nice-ish one at near bullion or low premium prices but it does happen and there are plenty for sale in the states. You might try calling around places that deal in PM's that would have bought them at spot but aren't numismatic dealers and so won't be that interested in them as coins, they'll probably be happy to sell it to you at 10% over spot which is a little better than what they'll get for sending it to get melted. Gold buyers, bullion dealers and pawn shops, those sorts of places, private listings on forums and other stackers are also a good source.

They're pretty rare to come across here in Australia and exen I've found a few old US gold coins at a reasonable premium. Anyway, can't hurt to look. Plus, they're great looking coins and you can't help but wonder what sort of things a gold coin like that was used to buy in the late 1800's. In the US at least they are very well recognised, much more so than fractional Krugerrands and you'll have no problem at all liquidating them.

According to my back of the envelope calculations the premium of a modern 1/4 gold eagle on apmex is slightly over 11%, I'd feel pretty confident that you could find liberty half eagles at that premium or very close to it.

*edit: If you're going to a coin show then finding either a $5 liberty or 1/4oz eagle at or below apmex prices should be easy, don't forget to factor in the postage cost you'll have to pay if you buy online.

9. Stroctor

Stroctor New Member

Thanks for the informative post, something else to consider. As far as Apmex postage is concerned, they must like me because I havnt paid postage on anything for awhile now.

10. Stroctor

Stroctor New Member

I was reading Kruggerands and Eagles both have .9167 % purity making them 22k, but looking at a gold Maple, the purity is .9999 making it 24k. It is slightly cheaper than the first two. Wouldn't it be a a no brainer to buy that for the better purity over the others, or are they basically worth the same? I'm normally a silver guy so I don't understand the difference as far as resellable gold bullion goes. Any insight would be appreciated.

11. milkyspot

milkyspot Member

there is 31,1 gramm gold in all 3 off them so they are the same. i personally would for maples from 2014 onwards because of its laserengraving.

12. Porcello

Porcello New Member

and they don't milk spot!

13. Roswell Crash Survivor

Roswell Crash Survivor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The US Mint Eagle for recognition.

No accounting for taste, but if you ask me the Krugerrand design just isn't that attractive.

14. Stroctor

Stroctor New Member

Ended up picking up a 1999 1/4 oz gold eagle at the local coin show for 320$. I have been looking at online dealers and the price seems to align with what i have been seeing. Best part is i dont have to wait for mail delivery.

15. milkyspot

milkyspot Member

lol

with gold my concerns would be copperspots. dunno if they appear on 9999 but on 999 i have seen them. actually i even own one with that annoyance.

16. JNS

JNS Active Member Silver Stacker

Follow the beauty you can see within, if you don't take it, you can not feel it.
    Still I am with the Kruggerrands because i can find easily the AGE.

Here is mine and I never regret it from the beginning:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

In the 197x, 1974-1979 the Krugerrand had very high sales figures. 1978 even had 6 million, over 7 times the max we have seen in the recent $1xxx gold price years. AGE sales are similar to recent Krugerrand sales.
    So in regards of liquidity, there isn't much difference, reducing the answer to a personal preference.

18. Stroctor

Stroctor New Member

Nice pics JNS! I will most likely pic up a few of those at some point. Call me crazy by I have always like the design of the maple as well, even with the dreaded queen on the reverse and will pick those up too. I like variety as well as sell ability.