Tubes-to open or not?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Mattman, Oct 4, 2015.

1. Mattman

Mattman New Member

Hi Guys. I've been buying non-tube silver coins, due to $ constraints, and can now manage tube purchases. Generally, is it recommended to open them to check the contents? Will breaking the official seal potentially lessen the value? Will it increase the risk for milking? I received my first tube purchase and it is cracked. I feel I should check the contents, but wasn't sure which is better? Thanks

2. sterling-nz

sterling-nz Well-Known Member

Depends on individual taste.
    I would say there is very little chance of the silver evaporating and would open to know i got what i paid for.
    Of course every poster that expresses this view will be met with a post saying the opposite:)

3. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Depends on your needs and your views on what you eventually plan on doing with them. Also depends on how significant the crack is. Depends on other factors too.

For some buyers, they will pay a premium for mint sealed tubes but may have a problem with a cracked tube.

I don't think there is one answer that fits perfectly everyone.

4. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Which tubes have you got? ASEs and SMLs don't come with mint seals, some of the recent Perth Mint tubes do.

Opening an ASE or SML tube won't damage the contents - using bare fingers on the silver will however. If you want to inspect the contents, get some cotton gloves first - many supermarkets carry them in the cleaning aisle. Even washed hands will leave oil on the coins.

5. sterling-nz

sterling-nz Well-Known Member

And even if you do not see the prints you leave on a coin with bare hands , you will in the future:)
    Some of the first silver rounds have very defined finger prints from my "clean hands" lol

6. Mattman

Mattman New Member

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the comments. I bought 26 of the 2016 Kangaroos. The single coin looks decent, not great. It's a little milky around the Queen. They were cheap, so if they get milky I'll just consider them as rounds. The tube just has a little strip over the cap. I also bought 20 of the 2015 Pandas, which look amazing, and came in air tites. What a difference in price and shine.

7. Ronnie 666

Ronnie 666 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Cotton gloves are good but I prefer blue nitrile non-powdered gloves. You can buy a box at Bunnings or at most supermarkets. Cotton gloves get dirty and pick up oil so I like a fresh pair each time. The Nitrile ones are perfect.

8. Karoi

Karoi Well-Known Member

Perhaps one of the reasons mints place a security seal on the tubes is to reduce the likelihood of owners opening them up and noticing those pesky milk spots!