2015 Momento Mori medal - Aries

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Luker, Apr 3, 2015.

1. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

But there is plenty to put in the display case, especially if you take into consideration the next two issues being released very soon and shipped immediately (according to MS) - that makes 6 medals!: http://www.skullcoins.com/zodiac2015/

The strange thing is, some will complain that more than one issue released a year is too much and others complain that 6 released in about 8 months is not fast enough of a release. There's no pleasing some people. :rolleyes: :p

2. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

Sure, but correct me if I'm wrong, but the whole point of the series from the get-go was to release a new one at the start of each Zodiac phase (i.e., approx 1 per month)..

From your link:

"The Zodiac series ... being released in order of the Zodiac calendar until complete at the end of 2015."

Read Luker's post: They bit off more than they could chew..

Over-promised, under-delivered.

Read Shippeevt's post: Abandoning the series now..

Probably far from being the only one, too.

P.S. I still like Pisces. Should have bought at issue price.. :cool:

3. mkv

mkv Member

SKULLCOINS 2015 ZODIAC - MEMENTO MORI
    5th & 6th releases of 12
    GEMINI & CANCER
    Are On Sale Now!

IN STOCK & READY TO SHIP!
    ======================

Silver still $69

4. crutch024

crutch024 Member

Ordered! Thanks!

5. Luker

Luker Member

6. mmissinglink

I definitely don't hold that against Son Montuno Mint....unforeseen stuff happens even with the biggest / oldest mints and SM Mint has been up front and communicating about the capsule delay issues the whole time. This is actually a good sign in regards to the mint and one of the reasons I'm sticking with this series.

Besides, one very original high relief design medal every month in 3 different metals is a huge undertaking.

Let's also keep in mind that all 3 varieties (silver, copper, and gold) for each release, each have a unique serial number incused or engraved into the medal with a matching uniquely numbered COA.

Like I said, you just can't please some people.

7. mkv

mkv Member

Despite the fact that I bought both coins, "Cancer" is quite ugly... ;)
    Probably the ugliest in the series...
    Any other opinion?

8. mmissinglink

I think Cancer is far out and radical. A friend of mine who does astrology charts tells me that a Cancer is someone who has great difficulty being independent.

The design on the Memento Mori Cancer medal seems quite fitting then.

9. Gatito Bandito

It's a shame, then, that SM didn't comprehend that before promoting an unrealistic release schedule.. :)

Getting porked by the private-label mint who originally over-promised to him in order to land the contract?

Possibly.

Don't know the back-story, so only commenting on what it looks like to an outsider..

10. Northerncoins

Northerncoins New Member Silver Stacker

I think they lost a few customers with these delays, but I said from the beginning these monthly releases were unrealistic , and then this last major delay happened. Wasn't surprised really , but this could be a good thing for collectors who are making a set or two, less people buying means the initial price will stay low longer, with 500 mintage these should still do ok long term.

As far the display case goes, at first I didn't like it but then I got thinking about it , a display case is just that a "display case" you can put in on a desk/shelf/or on your wall ,I think it mounts to the wall? If it was in a normal wooden case the lid would be shut more often then being open and most likely stored away some where, I have been building 2 silver sets, one I will put on a wall and the other I will sell at some point depending on demand /prices etc.

Memento mori isnt that well know among we so called "normal" modern people but its been around for hundreds of years. It is quite popular among bikers and tattoo artist/ enthusiast etc.

[​IMG]
    The 13th century legend of the Three Living and the Three Dead was a popular theme of murals and frescoes. In the legend, three gentlemen or kings meet the cadavers of their ancestors, who warn them: "Quod fuimus, estis; quod sumus, vos eritis" (What we were, you are; what we are, you will be!).

[​IMG]
    Memento mori woodcut by Alexander Mair, 1605

"Memento Mori: Art to Help You Meditate on Death and Become a Better Man"
    http://www.artofmanliness.com/2012/10/29/memento-mori-art/

11. mmissinglink

:rolleyes:

12. Gatito Bandito

Sorry, but fail to see what's so :rolleyes: -y about my post..

SM has been in the coin-dealer biz for how many years, now?

And he still figured that was a reasonable schedule when he was shopping around way back when & the private-label mint who he went with that's actually producing the rounds, told him at the time, to the effect of: "Yeah, we can handle that, no sweat!" ?

You honestly don't think people & businesses initially over-promise in order to land contracts & bring in some money? Happens every day.

And the result, of course, is something like this.

13. mmissinglink

With all due respect, I find your expectations here unreasonable. SM is a small business, a seller of coins, not actually a mint which physically produces coins. So when they take a step to branch out into having someone else mint a complex product line for them, they are going to experience growing pains and lessons learned...this is one of them. Besides, there's not a shred of evidence at all that the delay in the capsules was somehow knowingly anticipated. I don't see the presumption that SM is guilty of some nefarious deed is fair at all.

If there ought to be something to be upset about and point a finger of shame at, it could legitimately be that for many years, some of the large mints have knowingly been producing (bullion and collector) silver coins that readily (in some cases) develop milk spots. I see that as very different from a growing pain that a small dealer has when trying to have a product produced for them.

That's how I see it.

14. Shippeevt

Shippeevt Member

For me that it took so long isn't a problem. But using my money for 4 months which I could have used to buy other stuff, and then one of my coins comes with a big ole chip in the capsule that"we are waiting on". Maybe if they had given all those people that had money tied up some sort of coupon or something? I dunno.... Maybe you can't please everyone but I tried to stay positive.

15. Shippeevt

Shippeevt Member

Oh yea anyone wanna buy one with a big ole chip? Yea probably not...

16. Northerncoins

Northerncoins New Member Silver Stacker

Did you message them, they likely would have sent you out a new capsule. Wouldn't be the first time new items have had defects, I cant see them refusing to send you out a new capsule. If they don't then I could see the need to complain about it. :|

17. mmissinglink

You are throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

I have never had a problem with any of the products I've received from SM.

I have received a few items from the U.S. Mint that were damaged....that doesn't mean that I condemn the U.S. Mint and refuse to buy a U.S. Mint product ever again. No, it just means that mints are neither perfect nor can they control what happens during shipping. I contacted the U.S. Mint immediately and the issues were resolved to my satisfaction.

It's very unreasonable to expect perfection always. What you should have done is contacted SM immediately. Did you do that?

18. Shippeevt

Shippeevt Member

No I didn't call them. Maybe if I didn't have to wait so long I would have cared more have gotten a replacement capsule I dunno. I don't care to spend anymore time on it. Maybe it will be the only I keep. But these are my oppions only I think the coins were great! I lost my taste for the series that is all! End of my discussion on this. Ok so maybe one last thing. Maybe address the real issue here... Taking ones money and keeping for monthS while the delays keep rolling!!

19. mmissinglink

If I knew that a business intentionally deceived me and intended all along just to take my $70 so that they can reap the enormous .12 cents interest a month that they may get, then sure, I could see myself being upset. But there's no evidence whatsoever that SM did anything of the sort.

If I remember correctly, SM apologized a couple times at least for the unforeseen delay.

As for this notion of opportunity cost you seem to be eluding to, how exactly is it a loss if you would have used that same money to buy another coin that you felt was less important anyway since you chose to buy the ZodiacSkull coin instead?

Everyone is entitled to bitch on whatever they want, but in my view, I see no reason at all to be up in arms about a delay of this nature given the lack of any serious financial impact this seems to have had on you.

If you have any good evidence that the delay was foreseen and intentional, I am all ears.

Incidentally, 2 days after I placed my order for the newest ZodiacSkulls coins, the coins have shipped. Do you still think SM is trying to cheat its customers out of the 1.8% interest (or whatever the rate is) the buyer could have made holding the cash in the bank? Or do you think that SM simply experienced growing pains and are on track now? Which is more reasonable?

In the end, I think we will just have to agree to very strongly disagree on our sentiment toward the delay we experienced.

Good luck to you with all your future purchases.

20. Shippeevt

Shippeevt Member

I'm not sure why you defend them so much but have fun. I'm not up in arms made one comment. I guess I'm not allowed to defend my comment or have my own oppion, without being "up in arms". So please stop bringing up my comments.