Discussion in 'Silver' started by silversearcher, Oct 3, 2015.

1. fishtaco

fishtaco Active Member Silver Stacker

Ok sorry, just wast sure what you were asking and I already know PM history given I live in Perth and my brother used to work there :)

2. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

Just buy a tourist ticket, there is a tour guide that will take you tour the place.
    A few times a day, booking is essential , pay at the desk.

3. silversearcher

silversearcher Active Member Silver Stacker

So you can go into the new facility in HAY ST then ? Have you been in it and seen production of the new 2016 Kangaroos Chipmunk...Please confirm. A non confirmation means NO... Cheers

4. GoldenEgg

GoldenEgg Member

Safe until the Chinese invade.

5. Golden ChipMunk

Are you paying for my Tour ticket??
    Can See from out side the foot path... There are pallets of the Kangaroos.... Each time they rolled up the roller door.
    Photos are not allow....

6. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

they are safer than any listed company down-under. most certainly safer than any bank there.

7. silversearcher

:rolleyes:

8. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Privatizing the Perth Mint was an idea the WA government floated a while ago.

Then they thought about it for longer than 30 seconds and realized that a lot of the value of the business comes from the fact that it is a government owned enterprise with the very rare privilege of being able to make Australian legal tender coins.

No implied government guarantee = less value.

No legal tender production = less value.

The Perth Mint makes a profit and pays a divided to the WA government, but it's book value as a state owned asset isn't readily comparable to it's value as a private sector owned asset. Anyone with the right engineering and manufacturing experience can set up a refinery and mint (and there are plenty of private mints out there) and they could probably do it for a lot less than what it would cost to buy the Perth Mint from the WA government. A lot of the value is in the goodwill and a lot of that disappears with a sale to private owners.

There are loads of better things for the WA government to flog off if they feel the need to raise extra cash.

9. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

I don't understand the question. Safe for who ?

If you are just a customer buying their product, who cares ?
    Most of the discussion in this thread is pointless.

Do you care about the safety of Origin if you are just a customer buying their gas ?

10. Porcello

Porcello New Member

I guess he's asking about allocated/unallocated products. Of course nobody cares if the mint goes belly up after having purchased physical.

11. clear

clear Well-Known Member

Your Engelhard Bar was over-weight, have you acknowledged that you made a mistake.

12. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I deny your reality
    And substitute it with mine :p
    So lets start a rumour that PM is being privatised :D

13. silversearcher

Thank you, for your comment. I looked at the link to the post and it is true that where GP said " Not sure the federal Treasury would be so keen on permitting a private sector mint to produce Australian legal tender ". This would pose a hurdle for The WA Government. I saw and watched first hand what Jeff Kennett did with public / Government assets. At the time the public were at arms with the sell offs. And there pitfalls for some and benefits for others as my father became a tender one of their sell offs and I became involved in. Private ownership is not all that bad. It makes companies more competitive as long as there is a watch dog. And often there are consumer savings. Those who are sentimental about the Perth mint remaining in Government ownership I can understand. When debt is involved, people are more likely to endure a sell off rather than a bailout that comes at the expense of the tax payer. During the Kennett years the most desirable sell offs where the profitable assets. And why not list and sell them off first as it was quick money to pay off debt. This gave The Vic Gov instant street cred with A ratings. The majority of people in Australia have no involvement in the Perth Mint Bullion program. It may seem special to the few of us who are customers, or those in the industry or the workers of the Perth Mint. As for The WA Public, I not so sure they would care. Most would see it as a tourist attraction. So The WA Government may find it a viable option. The Perth Mint is here to stay, but in who's hands..

Cheers

14. silversearcher

Thank you Trew. This is a valid point. I guess the traditionalists care. As some of these traditionalists appear to be all butt hurt, and hijack topics as they always do, the same lot I never reply to. You are spot on Trew - when saying, " If you are just a customer buying their product, who cares ? Most of the discussion in this thread is pointless ". If the Perth Mint was in private hands the customer would keep buying their product. And you would assume there would be more accountability in there product compared to it being Gov Operated. Is this topic being pointless ? To traditionalists, no. To historians, probably not. To the WA public possibly. And for those who hijack topics and are all butt hurt, who cares. As for your opening question, " Safe for who ? ". Is it safe to remain in Government Ownership that's all. Just a TOPIC...

As a side note - There will be some relief for goldpelican, Spannermonkey, House, Silverpete, Chipmunk and a few others. As I'm back to work Monday and my posts will be limited. I'm sure you are all thinking good riddance. I felt the forum needed some pepping up from the usual boring mundane topics. We can all go back reading the same posts on Monday " Will gold or silver prices go up or down this week ! " Once again, I thank those who responded articulately and intelligently to my topics and had the courtesy use the entire quotes, regardless if they agreed with me or not. I've taken are few blows and snide comments by those on Engelhard (From people never even bought one bar themselves ). I've taken a stance on some controversial topics right or wrong. I've put up from those wanted proof. And protected those who don't deserve protecting. But, I'm still standing. And I'm not quite sure that will be the case with some in the future...Thanks to those all who have encouraged me in chats, and messages and emails on my subject matter.

Cheers

15. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

Well then perhaps you should have titled your thread 'Will the Perth Mint remain govt owned?' Or at least posed that question in your opening post and saved a whole lot of confusion.

16. Skyrocket

Skyrocket Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

We share something in common there. I did the same thing posting my Meier threads to change from the usual boring mundane topics here. Lots of people laughed and ridiculed me, so I did the sensible and right thing to do to them which was to continue sticking the Meier case up their noses. :) But I mainly do it to get the message out about the case because it is the most suppressed story of all.

Sounds like you think people here dislike you? If so, I doubt anyone here dislikes you just because of that Engelhard fiasco. But if you post more complaint like threads about other manufacturers like here about Perth Mint, expect people to bring up the Engelhard matter again and have a go at you.

17. fishtaco

fishtaco Active Member Silver Stacker

I am still a bit sceptical about the PM 4 9,s blanks being refined and produced in perth solely for their cheapest silver bullion coin though!

My original thought was that perhaps 4 9,s was the cause of immediate (cloudy) milk spotting like on the FWS and if not why just not mint all new silver pm coins 4 9,s especially the higher premium coins? why have 2 separate refining processes for silver blanks with cheapest of the two blanks being for the highest grade coins.? PM silver is 3 9 s after al and not 4 9,s. No real answer to that one :)

18. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Last I heard the Perth Mint had a little under $3 billion worth of other people's metal in their depository (Bron might be able to provide a more accurate figure if he's allowed).

I'm quite sure most those people couldn't give a toss what the good people of Western Australia think about their local tourist attractions and a fair number of them would re-evaluate the risk profile of their storage supplier and yank their metal out pronto if it went private.

Again, the Perth Mint's business works because it is, essentially, government backed.

19. Golden ChipMunk

You have makes best post of the week.... :)
    Crack over 1000 viewers for the day and 3 pages long ... Wow..... ;)

Don't think House posts have ever get over 1 page.

Have a nice day
    Chip ;)

20. silversearcher

;)