"Ultra-high" relief 2-ounce is the new 1-ounce!

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Gatito Bandito, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

2. 1eyed_jack

1eyed_jack New Member

Why would it wear on you?

If you don't like them, don't get them. Certainly don't take the time to post a new thread promoting a new one!

I'm confused.

3. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

1.) Because they're coming way too fast way too often by too many mints. One could make the case that many are sacrificing design & qualilty in order to rush these to market. And they are definitely not "ultra-high" relief.. That term is a marketing gimmick and, frankly, a joke, IMO.

2.) I won't be getting this one. But some people here might be interested. ;)

3.) Can't help you there. Good luck!

4. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

I love the fact that mints are beginning to finally design and produce higher (significantly in some cases) relief.

That said, not all relief is worthy of the "ultra" description (some is) and not all relief is of the same quality. For those, like myself, who have purchased and held in hand some of the recent Chinese medals which some or many are at least a level or two above what is being called "ultra high relief" by some of the Johnny-come-lately mints like the Perth Mint, I can tell you that there is a long, long, long way to go for coins like the Gods of Olympus and this Headless Horseman round.

But that said, I very much like some of the designs such as in this series:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HXLlR1YZ40[/youtube]

and this: http://www.providentmetals.com/2-oz-silver-liberty-island-ultra-high-relief-round-10-count.html

and this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOr0DOHbXDA[/youtube]

and I certainly welcome the fact that more mints are designing high relief coins, medals, and rounds.

5. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Competition and the flame here have make many western mints to produce high relief coin or round recently.

Western mints have the marketing distribution, networks and activities long established. They reach more to the world even they need to play a catch up game for the design and quality. However, I view it is good development which make more choices to collectors.

Think about it you might want buy one or 2 pieces of those to show the history of the development of Western mints in high relief coin or round.