Thinning the heard - advice on how to liquidate an odd assortment

Discussion in 'Silver' started by kjf, Sep 16, 2015.

1. kjf

kjf New Member

Hi everyone,

First and foremost if a mod deems this to be inappropriate discussion please remove this thread, or alternatively move it to the appropriate area on the forum.

Okay, so I've been slowly stacking on-and-off for a few years now. In that time I've accumulated 40oz of silver. Due to my current situation I'm thinking about selling most of this stack and I was wondering if you seasoned veterans could give me some advice.

Here is the current stack:

[​IMG]

Note: I didn't include purchase price and "eBay value" columns in the above.

The only ones I'd like to keep are the 2015 Goats, the Pre-Decimal, and the Rockerfeller (this one has no COA or box, so I think it would be a hard one to sell).

Because I have such an odd assortment and because I'm looking to move these on fairly quickly (by the end of the month), would I be better off advertising this as a lot, or individually? Here, or eBay?

What would offer the best return? At this point I'm not too phased on being profitable as the majority of this stack was bought when silver was over $28 AUD.

Thanks for any advice.

P.S. If there are any stackers in the Brisbane area who know of local dealers that would be great (or if you are personally interested, although I'm trying to keep this as far away from a "for sale" thread as possible so as to stick to the forum rules).

2. silverzman

silverzman Active Member Silver Stacker

If you did not have a deadline i would say list it on ebay at what your happy to sell + 10% fee and see what happens.

You could offer it here as 1 lot or as each and see if you get any takers. Worse case drop the price on it closer to the date you need the cash. Dealers will pay lower than what stackers may.

3. kjf

kjf New Member

Thanks for the advice. I'm just a bit weary of eBay because of the numerous fees associated. But then I guess people would be more willing to buy individually rather than a big lot on eBay.

I might start a listing on here later today or tomorrow and see what happens.

4. silverzman

silverzman Active Member Silver Stacker

Yeah just add on about 10% on top of what you are happy with. This will be used to pay the fee.

5. There is plenty in that list I would be interested in buying, dependent on price naturally.
    If in doubt about current prices why not take the option, on ebay or here, to auction these and let the market find the right price for them.
    My feeling is you may get a higher price on ebay but with greater potential gain comes greater risk and SS would be the safer option for sure, plus you would get a faster and more reliable result here IMHO. :)

6. kjf

kjf New Member

That's right, I have been on this forum for a few years and everyone on here seems very genuine. No fees to deal with either.

I'd be happy to deal with members on this forum, especially given the potential for a f2f deal.

I will make that thread. Maybe not an auction though. I'll put up the spreadsheet like I've done but add prices for each item, with a discount applicable if purchased as a lot.