slightly underweight american silver eagles

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Silverjoe, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Silverjoe

Silverjoe New Member

Hi. New to the forum and also to silver stacking/investing. I recently bought some American silver eagles with various dates. Some are 1993 and 1994, and also 2007. I weight them and all the 1993 and 1994 eagles are all within range of 31.1 to 31.5 grams. But the 2007 eagles are all 30.9 to 31.0. is this normal for that year's mint? just seems odd that they would be 0.1 to 0.2 grams underweight. I know it's ok to be a little over as seen with the 90's eagles, but I heard never under. I know its 1 or 2 tenths of a gram, but still seems abnormal, especially since the others are within the 31.1 to 31.5 gram range. I did also do some other tests on those 2007's eagles like measuring the dimensions, specific gravity, ping and magnet test. Passed all those test. They are just 0.1 to 0.20 grams under. Probably being paranoid, but would like to hear from others about this? what do you think? Even if they are real, with the 2/10th of a gram under weight, will that effect the resale value? thanks for any words you have for me in advance. ;

Great site..

2. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

Hello & Welcome to SS Forum

May I ask what sort of Scales you are using?
    A cheap scales may result in inaccuracy i.e Cheap Pocket Scales.

We did recently had a discussions on that.... which may result of inaccuracy weighing ; hope this help ;)
    For resale value, the coins are known as 1 oz. if they are genuine. so No worries.

3. Silverjoe

Silverjoe New Member

The scale is called a acculab. Someone gave it to me. Doesn't look very expensive. I had considered that its a cheap scale and possibly inaccurate, and would have not thought twice if all the coins weighted the same, but its just the 2007 eagles that are 1 or 2 tenths of a gram underweight. So that is why I starred wording about it... that's for your response...

4. Silverjoe

Silverjoe New Member

Thanks for your response I meant to say there at the end

5. Golden ChipMunk

Sometimes you do get some 1 oz coins weighing more and some also less. Depending on the maker for +- Tolerance allowance.
    1 troy ounce = 31.103 grams

Therefore I am not surprise

6. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

try the displacement method

7. Golden ChipMunk

8. Silverjoe

Silverjoe New Member

You mean specific gravity? did it. If I weight in grams I get a specific gravity of 10.3. if I weight in troy ounce, I get 10.47. I get more decimal places on the troy ounce feature then the grams so that would account for the different , more accurate reading. And just so you know, I did weight the coin in troy ounces also and I get 0.995 ounces... 0.995 troy ounces or 30.9 and 31.0 grams are the weights I am getting.. also did the magnet test, ping test, and measured the dimensions. All those test were within normal limits...

guess I just have to accept that the mint made these very slightly underweight. Which is disappointing. Everything I read, said that they add a little extra so they never come in underweight. Guess not in 2007. Every test I perform on them passed otherwise... the only thing I did not try was acid, but I do not want to damage the coin...

9. Golden ChipMunk

10. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

well at least its worth a $1

11. Golden ChipMunk

ok sell it to me, I give you 5..

High Five Bro :D

12. Silverjoe

Silverjoe New Member

:):):)

13. REDBACK

REDBACK Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

On a side bar

I am still paying $100 for any good quality fake ASE out there.
    Not the knock offs that Stevie Wonder could tell apart but a passable fake to the commoner(non SS)
    I don't believe they exist!
    REDBACK

14. GoldenEye

GoldenEye Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The specific gravity, magnet and other tests sound okay, so it's likely to be silver.

15. fishtaco

fishtaco Active Member Silver Stacker

I have seen a few on youtube but they were all bought as bullion but looked like proofs.

I also believe that most of these modern day Chinese fakes would have trouble fooling stevie wonder,its a whole lot of hoo haa about nothing when it comes to even semi experienced pm buyers.

I have a few fakes that I bought knowing they were fakes and even people who have never bought pms can tell immediately.

People chase a too good to be true bargain and then profess they got burnt by plausible fakes lol :)

16. Jim4silver

Jim4silver Well-Known Member

Hopefully no sellers are dumb enough to take you up on your offer and, if in the US, be liable to face counterfeit charges (assuming the coin does not have COPY stamped on it or such).

I also doubt there are high quality fakes for ASEs since the costs to make a high quality fake probably make it not worth the effort. If silver was at $50+, that might be a different story. The fake generic bars and such from China seem to be rising in prices per Aliexpress ads for the nicer bars in plastic sheets (so they look like the real ones more than in plastic singular cases).

Just my opinion.

Jim