Why do many people buy silver on Ebay?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by ninezerometals, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

Yeah, I don't get those coupons very often. Can count them on one hand.

So, have to make judicious use of them. Obviously went for a higher-ticket bullion item, in my most recent example.

eBay Bucks Bonus Offers? Get those all the time.

Sadly, I've let many go to waste, for various reasons. But always try to use them when I can.

2. Silverpv

Silverpv New Member

Sounds like the sellers and the rules are different in Ebay Australia. In the U.S. many times during special sales the prices are lower than Local Shops and their own website via check. So faster processing, cc use, cc points, discounts available, etc. It's really a good method for those hoarding, I mean stacking, silver and gold.

If what you are saying is true, many of the "stackers" in the US are loading up which is why so many products go out of stock after they go on sale and the higher premium stuff stays on the market. Look at platinum, it was available for $1050's last week, sold out in a day. People are definitely keeping an eye out and consuming deals.

3. Take a look at this bargain price for a random example of what a one ounce Silver Eagle goes for, and bear in mind people are actually buying these at the asking price of AU $31.91.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/U-S-Mint...ullion-Coin-/271960877716?hash=item3f5221aa94

4. Silverpv

Silverpv New Member

Yikes, that's pretty bad... the 2011's were just on sale for a little under 19, and last week in the 17's. How about perth mint stuff? Is local cheaper?

5. Perth mint products are about the same, perhaps a little less. Oddly, generic silver seems to attract the most outrageous prices on ebay while higher end coins and bars seem to sell for slightly less.
    I only used the Silver Eagle as an example in deference to American interest in this subject.

6. Nabullion Dynamite

Nabullion Dynamite Active Member

First ebay is just easy to use and have the refund guarentee if there is a problem with your order. Ebay bucks also sometimes makes for some great buys on ebay. Not all the deals on ebay are extremely jacked up either, some sellers have rounds and coins going for similar or cheaper prices than online dealers, you just have to look for them.

Many times its not the Ebay sellers jacking the price up, but the buyers bidding the prices up to outragous levels.

7. Belvedere

Belvedere Active Member Silver Stacker

I use eBay when I am chasing something 'special'. I recently scored a double 1823 pound (double sovereign) for just under spot using a 15% off voucher and some judicious searching. In answer to the OP - use dealers when it suits and use eBay (with due diligence) when it suits.

8. fishtaco

fishtaco Active Member Silver Stacker

Ebay keeps giving me 10% off buy it now items? never had this before in Australia and I have been an ebay "buyer" not seller since it first started!

Anyone else started to get these discount codes?

9. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

I've not gotten that...are you sure everyone else doesn't see the 10% off too?

Here's a Buy It Now in which everyone can get 12% off:

[​IMG]

If only you get the 10% off, sounds like a very nice way to shop....saving the same amount on the front end as a 5X eBay Bucks reward saves on the back end....even better than 5X eBay Bucks. But how does it actually work? Does eBay chip in the additional cost at time of purchase?

10. Charles Thorn

Charles Thorn New Member

You got me thinking Mr mmissinglink... I have a 5% cash back card as a Prime member of Amazon with free shipping. But at 23 US$ an ounce minimum it just doesn't work out when I can buy local and not pay any shipping either. Oh well...

11. mmissinglink

I was not suggesting at all to use Amazon. Amazon is way over priced for coins and bullion.

Besides, what you seem to be forgetting is that when people buy from a local dealer, most have to pay for wear and tear on their vehicle, gas money, and in many cases local sales tax. That can add up to a lot more than premiums on coins.

When I buy on eBay, I pay none of that because I look for free shipping and dealers / sellers that are out of state so I don't get clobbered with state sales tax. And I receive cash in the form of eBay Bucks all without even having to leave my chair....shazaam!! :D

12. ironwood

ironwood Active Member Silver Stacker

Oops, wrong thread.

13. fishtaco

No its not that type of price drop discount!

Just under the adds where they show postage options it says "a discount code is available click here" in a drop down box it gives you a numbered code that you copy and paste into the box after you have committed to the Buy it now, you then pay 10% less than the Buy it now price.

Have not had one this week but have had about 7 or 8 in the last 2 months.

14. fishtaco

Hello lol :)

15. mmissinglink

By all means take advantage of every one of those you get...good for you! You must be doing something right in the eyes of the eBay gods to be getting those.

16. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

That's an eBay coupon.

Not sure how it works in AUS, but at least in the US, if you scroll through your "My eBay" Summary page, there might be a little section called "Coupons"..

There it will give that same coupon code to be copy & pasted at Checkout.

17. ninezerometals

ninezerometals New Member

Amazon maybe is a little more expensive than some deals you can find on Ebay, but then again, you really have to search well on Ebay to get a deal and know what you're looking for. Amazon is more for the uninformed shopper who doesn't have time or the patience to troll through endless listings. Amazon is aimed at a completely different demographic than Ebay and that's why it works. I recently posted a number of silver items on Amazon.ca and I currently hold the lowest price on all my listings (and not by a couple of $$). Mainly because the other sellers are too greedy. But even then I offer a better deal from my e-commerce site. I am not the cheapest, but my profit margins are almost break even considering payment gateway fees and shipping etc.

18. Silverpv

Silverpv New Member

imo. That doesn't sound that great... heh.. But if it works for you. I've been wanting to try amazon, but their fees are even worse than ebay. Though the service the customer gets is much better via shipment time and ease of use.

@fishtaco, you are pretty lucky if you get the 10% coupons. I haven't seen one of those in a year!

19. ninezerometals

ninezerometals New Member

@Silverprv. You know it isn't great, but we can't complain. What you have to be mindful of is that everyone is different. On Feebay you get your hard core silver enthusiasts and collectors that will crawl through listings all day looking for that one deal and when they make that deal, it's the best thing on earth. Then you have your casual shopper, that want's to be able to find what they want straight away, no messing. That's the whole basis of e-commerce, shop whenever you want, find it quick, no hassle, no having to drive to the store etc. It just suits some people. If you're in the US, don't try Amazon, it is saturated right now. CA and CO.UK are still reasonably accessible and you have to be super careful and abide by the rules.

20. mmissinglink

Have you actually sold any coins on Amazon? I ask with complete curiosity. Are your Amazon listings mostly for modern silver collector (semi-numi) coins or for another type of coin (like old numismatic coins)?

I believe I have an approved Amazon seller account since about a year ago but I have never listed anything for sale.