Same Coins but different

Discussion in 'Silver' started by 2e4, Aug 22, 2015.

1. mrg9grn

mrg9grn New Member

Just a thought would Perth mint have the original stamp from the 1990 and could have it changed to suit instead of getting a new one made if something happened to the new 2015 stamp.
    If the original 2015 stamp cracked or broke they could of just got the old 1990 one and modified it to suit date change.

If someone had a 1990 kook would be idea to compare if different to these ones

2. silversearcher

silversearcher Active Member Silver Stacker

Thanks for the enjoyable thread. In a few years time you may well look in a coin catalog and see a reference to a low mintage variant. Don't worry about those who just attack and accuse because you asked a question. There are just a few of them about, and it's all about control , ownership peddling goods on this forum. Sadly, they must think such questions impact their lives and their livelihood. They are not real collectors or stackers and they stand a mile apart from the pros. Let them bandy about their amateurish behaviour amongst themselves. Plenty of good members about to help. This is the best thread for a while. Keep asking questions. We have your back....Take Care

3. Stackman

Stackman Member Silver Stacker

That was my thought too, or maybe you just got lucky and were given a proof by mistake.

Compare the pics of a standard kook verses a proof. The feathers on the back of the head are distinctly different.

4. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

Two totally different Die. One bullion and the other High relief. Both are different in size. ;)

Try again!!

5. Stackman

Stackman Member Silver Stacker

Yes - two different die is what I was suggesting. But as you say it may be "high relief" rather than "proof" - the Perth Mint website wasn't very helpful in that regard.

6. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

High relief = Proof ;)

Standard Bullion diameter is 40.6,

The high relief is smaller and thicker ;)

7. rodmadman

rodmadman New Member

Looks like the dies might have been reworked and repolished, With an expected run of 20,000 I doubt they have more than one or two sets. Just a guess and dont bother targetting me for a bully session cuz IDGAF

8. fishtaco

fishtaco Active Member Silver Stacker

Pretty inconsistent of PM to sell the exact same bullion coin in two different types dont you think?

My theory! these frosted 2015 kooks were minted by RCM as a "gear up" test to the 2016 silver bullion kanga 4 nines! PM 2016 silver coins are all 3 nines as usual but for some strange reason the 2016 kanga will be 4 nines.
    Great you may say but why would perth mint do "only one silver coin" and their "cheapest premium coin" in 4 nines and go to all the trouble of making different blanks for that coin?

I believe PM is expecting to sell way more kangas in North America than Australia so why not just get RCM to strike those in Canada and send over 4 nines blanks for the ones for sale locally.:cool: