Same Coins but different

Discussion in 'Silver' started by 2e4, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Lots of interesting members signed up around that time. Also interesting how many spring to life after very long periods of inactivity.

Amazing coincidence the number of trolly posts most of them make.

2. 2e4

2e4 New Member

Hello again everyone thankyou all for your input, Special mention to Silver searcher for the best laugh this morning Kookapecker indeed
    thanks mate.
    And as for Eureka moment, I have not staged anything, I requested the help and Knowledge of the forum members to which I again thank.
    Keep your Petty little comments to yourself in future you do not know me, or I you I resent being labelled a troll by some ignorant fool.
    I have tried to Take a better photo but do not possess a great camera or steady hand lol!. The Mystery Deepens.
    Source: [​IMG]

3. silversearcher

silversearcher Active Member Silver Stacker

I'm really hoping that your in possession Type A and B coin. If so, one of them will be worth a few bob...Cheers

4. whinfell

whinfell Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

5. fishtaco

fishtaco Active Member Silver Stacker

Op seems you are best get the more frosted back ground kook graded as it will possibly be one of the first struck coins on die.

Now in a different light the left coin is identical to my 2015 kook whereas the right coin was closer in the first pic.

My kook coin has plenty of detail but background including tree stump is frosted with just kook alone being very shiny. seems the coin on the right has a shiny or less frosted tree stump, leaves and fern,is this correct or just the pic?

6. serial

serial Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

As I said take 2 different pictures of the coin under identical light sources / angles . Not both coins in the same picture as you will end up with the same problem caused by inconsistent lighting across both coins and the thus appearance of 2 different coins. The fact he chose to ignore this advice and put up a newpicture exactly the same as his 1st indicates to me he is being disingenuous and is trolling the forum imho

7. sterling-nz

sterling-nz Well-Known Member

Im not interesting in the frosting as that is solely light dependant.
    There still appears to be differences in distance on the leaves behind the kooks head and on the beak.
    Sure lighting can be manipulated but i still fail to see how it can make the leaves look gapier behind the head?
    As there is now talk of trolling and manipulation this will be my last comment on this thread for fear of either getting suckered or growled at:)

8. fishtaco

Not a deal breaker for me to keep talking about it? my kook has a "fully" frosted back ground and all the online pics I can find show the tree stump and leaves/fern as a bit shiny (more so the stump)

Not sure if this is any proof of anything and it all may well just be light/coin angle to each other or it may not be!

Take a look at the twigs/leaves just below the A&N in Australian in the second pic :)

9. 2e4

2e4 New Member

Helllo again

Ok at no point in my original post did I question the authenticity of either coin I just Logged in for some advice.
    I did not expect to be accused by certain individuals who probably still live with mummy, of Trolling, Manipulation of lighting, etc
    To those that took the time to suggest advice I thankyou.

I now have taken two separate photos which i believe show the unmistakable differences in the two coins.

Thankyou..............

10. fishtaco

Hi 2e4 all I know is that my 2015 kook looks the exact same as your latest bottom picture a more frosted background!

I only have 1 because thats all I collect so its been quite simple for me to have it with me to compare with your pics.

Your first pic seemed clear enough but did obscure some detail on the more frosted coin to make it look a bit suspect but after your second pic I knew the frosted one was also genuine. I buy 99% of my silver and gold from PB so never doubted them.

The explanation could be worn dies or different dies used to strike these coins

A lot of people get jumpy around here about fakes because they are getting too good so any anomaly in a popular modern coin usually steers a thread into crys of possible fake but your latest pics clearly show two versions of the same coin which I am sure many would prefer there not to be. :)

11. fishtaco

We now have proof of a 2015 kook Type A and a 2015 kook Type B,which is the best? Is one more collectable or worth more than the other :)

I have the frosted version and will now have to buy another to see which is the more common version!

12. 2e4

2e4 New Member

Thankyou fishtaco Intresting your A & B Coin theory, Maybe one is more collectable than the other, who knows time will tell anyway I still own two lovely coins.
    Thanks all

Mick..............

13. silversearcher

Hmmm...Very interesting...One has a totally frosted background and the other has several different finishes. Must check my inventory and investigate..Great Post. A collector will really enjoy variants.

14. h_ngm_n

h_ngm_n New Member

So does the Perth Mint publish guides on this kind of stuff? Are there any security features on this coin that can be checked to verify its authenticity? Is Perth Mint happy to assist coin owners with these types of queries?

15. tozak

tozak Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It's a wet Kook and a dry Kook, the coin in the pic above looks like it's been out in the rain and is just about the shake the water off it's feathers. Yes, definitely a "wet Kook" variety imo, demands a 2.15% premium.

16. fishtaco

Didnt think about 3 different finishes on each design lol looking at my kook under bright artificial light mine is more like Greg Williams pic. oh well back to 2e4 having the only rare kook type B :( or BB being correct all along about light/shadow causing variations on 2015,s pictures and by eye!

17. Spilver

Spilver Member Silver Stacker

Hi all,

I'm going to step in on this one now.
    This is no troll, nor is it a trick of light. I personally know this member and have seen the coins. The first post represents exactly how different they look.
    It seems to be a different die, one has a polished stump and ond frosted.
    I know i prefer my stump polished than frosted, but look at the original post and see if anyone has anything comparable.
    I'm interested to find out why there is such a difference in these two.
    Maybe there is a proof/bullion hybrid strike circulating.

18. Junk Silver

Junk Silver Member Silver Stacker

I bought my coin over the counter at Perth Mint last year and it looks identical to the second pic with the full frosted stump.

19. Spilver

Spilver Member Silver Stacker

O.
    Page 3 and some more pics and stuff.
    Sorry,
    Always late to the party.

20. silversearcher

Thank you...For taking a stance. This is a refreshing post from a member just asking questions. All so often a post gets hijacked by personal attacks on the person rather than commenting on the subject matter. Real stackers and collectors really enjoy the learning experience and fun side of collecting and stacking. Those with knowledge and long term experience will relish imparting their knowledge with newbies. I've been collecting my whole life various things. I do not consider myself a newbie, but do not claim to know it all either. I come from long line of family with a background in silver/copper smithing ( I can still remember the smell of cyanide baths from my youth ). I've spent years in the field prospecting for gold and stacking and I still don't know it all. But, I'm always willing to learn and impart knowledge if I can. And any members worth their salt would do the same. The member who posted this thread did his/her utmost best to ask questions and receive an answer. I wish I could have the answer at hand, but at this stage I don't. Often there are discrepancies and inconsistencies in strikes. This happens often. I have a error strike myself of a different coin. So this is not anomaly in the world of coins. As to the member who posted this thread. Keep asking questions. Don't be disheartened by the few who attempt to misquote and tear apart great threads. I don't post that often myself, but it's time the good members take a stance and reclaim this forum against the few who are destroying it. And for what ? So they can use this forum profiteer and derail legitimate posts at the expense of others ? Also, no need to defend yourself or get involved in name calling. We are a higher caliber people than to enter into such a folly. Keep your head up high and keep asking questions...We have your back. Cheers