Update - America The Beautiful 5 oz silver coins

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by mmissinglink, Nov 12, 2014.

1. mtforpar

mtforpar Member

One of the unique and beautiful things about a forum is learning from others experience. That experience and the feelings associated with it can be neither right or wrong as it is just an experience from a perspective. Sometimes it feels as though we are busier trying to prove we are right rather than just learning from the others experience and adding it to our collective knowledge.

2. mtforpar

mtforpar Member

Individualize photos also do not guarantee the condition of the coin. The main reason is that your are taking a 3 dimensional object that may have a varying appearance depending on lighting and trying to translate that to a 2 dimensional medium (the photo).

In general I have found that coin buyers seem to have a bias that someone is looking to get one over on them or trying to pawn off a coin of lesser quality than should be expected. In some cases they are correct but also in many cases it is just a seller trying to sell their product. The real key in the instance above to me is that the seller seemed unwilling to work with an unhappy buyer. For that buyer this in undoubtedly a negative experience and they owe it to other buyers to relate feedback indicative of their experience from their perspective.

3. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

A negative experience doesn't necessarily mean that the seller is in the wrong...some buyers make very poor decisions and then take it out on the seller for no good reason.

Negative feedback should be reserved for sellers who have been purposefully dishonest not for sellers who were neither dishonest (did not misrepresent the product) nor for sellers who refuse to be bullied by buyers who make very poor decisions.

It's as unethical for a buyer to leave unwarranted negative feedback as it is for a seller to intentionally lie about the product being sold.

The poison of leaving unwarranted negative feedback extends far beyond just the seller who receives it.

It is very rare that I leave negative feedback (I think twice) and never would I leave negative feedback if it was I who wrongly presumed that the condition or quality of a bullion coin is better than what is normal for that bullion coin.

If I wanted my high expectations to be met in terms of condition of a bullion coin, I would never buy a raw bullion coin for which the condition is never guaranteed and where it is the norm for the condition of these coins to be problematic due to production and not any fault of the dealer / seller.

4. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

Anybody get the Blue Ridge Parkway yet?

Got mine in today -- P version. Very nice, IMO.. Glad I got it.

Heard there have been some quality issues with the P versions this year, but my Blue Ridge is fine.

Will consider getting Bombay Hook, but that will be it for me for 2015 ATB's..

5. mmissinglink

Not yet but I plan to order it by August. Post pics if you can.

6. Gatito Bandito

I still haven't gotten around to getting a real camera, LOL..

There are some eBay listings with photos. Decent one..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311364672412

Also a few YouTube vids. Fast-forward to the 2:00 mark..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuQKo936SK0

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuQKo936SK0[/youtube]

Actually thinking of passing on Bombay Hook now.. Way too similar to Everglades, which I already have.

Definitely a nice one, though, IMO.. I'd probably get it if I had more. Just being really selective with these.

I saw the recommended designs for 2016, and looks like I'll only get one (North Dakota).

7. Jkenosh

Jkenosh New Member

I got my blue ridge. It looks nice. I wish the price would drop some on them. I hate paying double what spot is

8. Gatito Bandito

Obviously would like to pay as little as possible, but I don't mind the current mint prices of these.

Especially when compared to some other high-premium stuff.

Not to mention the 15K-30K mintages, the large diameter, and the cool designs & workmanship.

I think there's just a lot of fixed-cost with these.

9. mmissinglink

The US Mint used to adjust prices on silver coins but I'm not aware of any recent adjustments down on their silver coins...they recently adjusted their gold coins down though.

Anyone knows about their policy on adjusting their silver products?

10. Gatito Bandito

No idea.

Though I do know that the pricing policy of the secondary market treats them pretty well once the final mintages are declared.

Looks like the collector versions hold their value, at the minimum.. With some changing hands at ridiculous premiums.

Heck, that even holds true for some of the bullion versions.

And I think that trend will continue well into the future.

Just another reason why I don't terribly mind the original issue price..

11. mmissinglink

A third category that exists and has independent pricing from the BU version and the collector version is high grade slabbed examples of the BU and "P" versions. Some of those slabbed ATB's have individually hit greater than $1,000 if my memory serves me right.

12. Gatito Bandito

Yep. Some of the slabbed go for multiple $1,000's.. Not just ask, but realized prices.

Crazy, IMO.

Anyway, what happens when you combine low spot price with a great design..?

United States Mint reports sellout of 2015 Blue Ridge Parkway 5-ounce bullion coins

http://www.coinworld.com/news/u-s--mint-reports-sellout-of-blue-ridge-parkway-5-ounce-silver-c.html

13. mmissinglink

Yes, Gatito, I read that in an article a couple days ago. Not surprising, eh? I mean after all, the dealers gobbling up bullion coins like ATB's are generally pretty smart when it comes to such things.

I agree with you, the multiple $$ thousands for an ATB that some people have paid does seem a bit crazy. I just wish that I'd been the seller! :)

14. mmissinglink

15. itrainsdogsandcats

itrainsdogsandcats New Member

Blue Ridge Parkway
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. itrainsdogsandcats

Kisatchie
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Homestead
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Everglades
    [​IMG]

17. itrainsdogsandcats

2015-P AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL SERIES - BLUE RIDGE SILVER 5OZ(MINTAGE 30000) NGC SP70 EARLY RELEASES
    2015 AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL SERIES - BLUE RIDGE SILVER 5OZ NGC MS69 DPL EARLY RELEASES
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. heyimderrick

heyimderrick Active Member

19. Sully

Sully Member

Investors in the ATB bullion version, from 2016 onward, will no longer see the type of re-sale premiums that have become common.
    Where up to 2015, the combined mintage of the bullion and 'P' could not go over 65,000, from now on the combined mintage has jumped to 150,000.
    If this figure is ever achieved remains to be seen.
    But demand so far for the bullion versions is strong.
    Allocations of the first 2016 bullion one, Shawnee, has already reached 55,000 in its first full week.
    Given the 'P' version consistently attracts sales in the 20,000 region, this leaves scope for the bullion dealers to now order up to 130,000 instead of the usual 40/45,000.

20. freechance

freechance New Member

Sales for these will slow down a lot when people become aware of the increased mintages. They released the mintage # after I had already ordered these on presale or I wouldn't have ordered as many. 150k combined is the 3rd highest mintage behind 2 of the 2011s. on a positive note the dealers should lower their premiums on these given the availability. They used to be between 2.49/3.49 over spot/oz and dealers have been in the $4-$6 range for the last 5 releases because of the fast sellouts.