Saltwater crocodile questions

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by upandaway, Jan 31, 2015.

1. upandaway

upandaway Member

Guys can some of you perhaps clarify a few things about these for me.

Is this a one off production of 1 million 2014 coins or are there to be a 2015 and continuous minting run every year at the same number and design? Is this part of a series?

General opinion of these coins as a semi numi punt considering their low premium? The million mintage concerns me a little as there are still a ton of the Canadian Wildlife stuff about and they've done very little appreciation wise being a million coins too.

How have the crocs gone down with people trading them here?

I wish to diversify out of some bullion and the low premiums mean if I'm skillfull enough I may get near 1-1 on these with bars and such like.

Thanks

2. GRETZKY427

GRETZKY427 Active Member Silver Stacker

I have emailed Perth Mint and they said that there will be continuation of the series into 2015 but a different animal perhaps...they were hush hush about it...

Cheers, HAPPY STACKING :)

3. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

4. Jim4silver

Jim4silver Well-Known Member

I have the chance to buy 20 or so saltwater crocodile coins for $3.50 over spot. I already have some I bought earlier this year, but might add more. Do any of you guys out there think these will gain in popularity over the next few (to more) years? My local guys charge about the same for ASE's and I would take the Croc's over an ASE any day of the week. Ebay prices on the Croc's seems kind of low to me right now (relative to spot) but that is maybe because they are still fairly new and some still floating around?

Thanks for any input,

Jim

5. wsd_collector

wsd_collector New Member

Just did a quick search and most places are out, so its probably a good buy.

6. SilverBullet8241

SilverBullet8241 New Member

Pretty sure the current 2015 is the second in the series. $3.50 over spot for crocodiles sounds good

7. Jim4silver

Jim4silver Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if the saltwater crocodiles have milk spotting issues so far? I have a chance to sell most of mine to a smaller local dealer who has offered me a good amount. If they have a propensity to spot I will dump them now while they still look good, but wouldn't mine keeping them if they stay looking good. If they spot later, they are like generic bullion around here when it comes time to sell and lose any premium. Even if I decide to sell I am keeping some of the best ones for my collection. Since they were in tubes most have at least one contact mark on the obverse.

I have one so far that has a small milk spot on it, all the rest look good but I know it sometimes can take 3 or so years for them to show up.
    Thanks for any input!

Jim

8. silverprepper999

silverprepper999 New Member

Yes they do. I have 5 crocodiles, 4 of them have bad milk spots.