New addition to my collection! :)

Discussion in 'Gold' started by stacknowlaughlater, Aug 12, 2015.

1. stacknowlaughlater

stacknowlaughlater Active Member

I would like to share with you guys the newest addition to my collection. The following photos is my custom hand made 1926 "SA" mint mark ( made in Pretoria, South Africa) full sovereign ring. The coin is 22ct and looks to be in uncirculated condition while the band is 18ct yellow gold. I am currently 23 but hopefully with age my fingers fatten up so i don't need to get the ring resided and therefore it wont lose some of its weight in gold. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. SilverBullet8241

SilverBullet8241 New Member

I like it. Hey I know nothing about resizing rings but hey if they normally would remove gold to make it smaller couldn't they at your request add a little gold to the inside to help it fit a bit better? It wouldn't be losing any of its weight in gold. Small gain instead.

Anyone that is a jeweller is that feasible?

3. Snoopy

Snoopy Member

Nice, very cool.

4. sammy

sammy Active Member Silver Stacker

It's feasible if you want it for a piece of jewellery, but not feasible if you want it as an investment.

Resizing a ring involves heating it up to 'drop' the coin out of it, its a high risk chance of damaging the coin especially if it looks like its in UNC condition. That said, wearing the ring will bring scratches to the surface of the coin anyway.

It looks beautiful either way!

5. SilverSerf

SilverSerf Member

Very nice.

You got one for each finger in different dates? :D

6. stacknowlaughlater

Yea i dont think ill ever wear this... a full sovereign ring is just too big. I might try to find a half sovereign in decent condition and ask my jeweler to turn it into a ring. :)

7. Miloman

Miloman Active Member Silver Stacker

JM2C,

Jewellery is meant to be worn at the end of the day as it is Jewellery after all. A sculpture or painting is meant to be viewed although carefully if valuable.

There are the odd occasions where it can be stored for various reasons. But the function is for it to be worn even if it's the odd occasion.

At the end of the day, it is ultimately the owner's decision to use it as they will. Some people might like to melt down sculptures or use paintings are fire starters... an extreme example but I just want to make a point. My thoughts are if you go to the trouble of making something you like then wear it, resize it as many times are you need to.

Sometimes a wedding dress costs thousands and it's used only once and many would look at those photos (mainly women) and have fond memories. Within reason really enjoy things in life!

Ok, maybe it was 3 cents in the end.

8. stacknowlaughlater

I will hopefully oneday get it resized and wear it. Maybe when yhe next wedding comes along but i will definitely not be wearing it on a daily basis due to the fact that it is too big and too flashy. Hence why im thinking of getting a half sovereign and turning that into a ring. A ring that wouldnt leave my finger.

9. sterling-nz

sterling-nz Well-Known Member

I was out op-shopping a couple of days ago and i kid you not, a guy named Graham i met in a sall army shop (op-shopping as well) had a gold ring on every finger bar his pinkies.
    This guy must have had $10000 plus of gold just on his hands and the cheap bugger was out oping it as well,lol.
    He is the complete opposite to me on this front.
    When i am oping i usually wear NO jewelry and only carry $5 note's and coins.
    I find i get way better deals than if i was to appear cashed up.
    Turns out he was doing exactly the same as me and looking for under priced gold (i look for silver as well).
    Ended up talking to the guy for 20mins and swapping details as he has shops out of town and contacts are always handy.
    I guess if he had your ring he could resize it for his naked pinkies.