My Fake Panda Picture

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by barsenault, Aug 7, 2015.

1. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

This was OMP, Double Sealed, Capsule, etc...heed the words of JC88888888 in the phoney panda section. he's spot on. buy graded pandas.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Beyond

Beyond Well-Known Member

3. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

Thanks for sharing, b!

Sadly, slabs can be & are faked, as well.

Just one reason why I like toned & even circulated old slabbed numi's..

Pretty difficult to exactly replicate specific toning, scratches, wear, etc., which can be verified with the official online TPG images.

For modern slabbed with none of those distinguishing characteristics (which double as a security feature, of sorts), I go with the large dealers, and also some selected smaller ones who I trust.

Anyway, perhaps a Panda expert could point out some differences with this one?

4. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

+1

But I guess there is a saying, fortune favors the bold :p

5. mtforpar

mtforpar Member

A lot of the fakes are in some sort of plastic OGP with sealed plastic holder. It makes it a lot more difficult to spot the fake just by casual observation. It's not like you want to cut it open to weight it and inspect it closely. The coin looks fake to me as the carpet is just not right on the temple side and the fur seems a little peculiar. But I have all the time in the world to look back and forth at the real thing and then compare it to the photo here sitting at my desk. Walking a show or something similar it is extremely challenging to determine without the real thing to compare it to. I find that I am looking at the real thing and trying to find reasons it is a fake....or conversely I am looking at a fake trying to talk myself into believing it is real. You really have to know your stuff and be very confident to deal in them at shows and the like.

6. barsenault

yes indeed mtforpar...I was the fool who bought it on eBay back in 2011/2012, and eBay history doesn't go back that far, unfortunately. If I had one of those verifiers, I'd have saved some dough. I think 90.00...not positive. It looked real to me...nice capsule, nice pouch. Damn!

7. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Maybe it's time for you to invest in one if you haven't done so already.

8. 1ozTrOy

1ozTrOy New Member

Looks really good other than the nose not being shiny..

9. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hi Buddy I give u the fake and real one comparison next Monday.

Send me photo before grading next time

10. jc888888888

jc888888888 New Member Silver Stacker

the temple is way off ..but these fakes are getting better all the time ,A post above talks about slabs being faked ,the thing is you can verify any cert # on the NGC website before you buy ,and not that that is 100% ,BUT IF NGC verifies the slab on there website and it turns out to be fake you have a 100% guarantee and they pay on it ,as I had a friend get an expensive gold coin get past the graders he sent it to NGC and within 14 days money in the mail (7,000USD).
    I AM NOT CHINESE BASHING HERE: go on US ebay low feedback Chinese sellers, 95% of panda,s on e bay are fakes ,they have not perfected the seal patterns on the OMP yet ,so get Peter Anthony,s book and study them he has very descriptive pictures of the seals and each coin list the mint or mints in which it was produced.......... or post pictures here or on CCF, folks that know are glad to help.
    and most of all if you see a $1200 1984 panda in OMP being auctioned off for 75 usd please listen to the bells going of in your head :) these dudes selling these fakes are making boatloads of money and e bay is doing nothing about it :) if they sell 20 and 2 people complain they just refund the complainers they are selling pcs of tin that cost them $3 usd for 30 or 40 and sometimes $50 and they are selling lots of them !! so as long as they promptly refund the 10% E bay is not going to do nothing as they are getting paid there is no less than 5 of these sellers currently on e bay.

11. mmissinglink

jc8, I think you've misunderstood the comment about the fake slab. There are reports that fake slabs are being produced and inside them fake coins are being placed...coins that, in some cases, are intentionally damaged so as to replicate the real coin inside the real slab being faked. I doubt very much that NGC will give anyone money simply because they have purchased a fake NGC slab....because if that were the case, then a well planned out conspiracy to defraud could cost NGC boat loads of money on payouts for fake slabs they have no connection with.

Now of course, if NGC authenticates wrong, then that's an entirely different situation but that's not the point about why fake slabs was being raised.

12. Gatito Bandito

barsenault,

Forgot to ask..

Do the basics even measure up..?

Now knowing it's a fake, have you weighed it?

Measured the diameter & thickness?

How about the ping test?

You can gently hold the center with your thumb tip & middle finger tip, and with the other hand, flick it with your middle fingernail (or whatever).

Can you hear the traditional Ag ring? Works if one has a halfway-decent ear, anyway.

Would be interested in hearing the results, when you have time.

13. mmissinglink

The fakes are being so well done that in some cases, they can even get the weight and size close enough to fool the layman who weighs and measures it.

The Precious Metals Verifier seems like a very good anti-fraud tool to have at one's disposal.

For someone who buys a lot of different coins and bullion from a variety of places, it seems like a no-brainer to buy it for oneself. Could pay off with the first use depending on what you are testing.

14. Gatito Bandito

I'm perhaps more curious whether it's 100% .999 Ag, or simply plated.

Dimensions & weight measurements, along with a ping test, would help in this instance.

I've got a good ear, and by now am quite familiar with the appropriate Ag ringing.

Obviously there will be some subtle differences, depending on dimensions.. An ASE will sound slightly different than a Phil, for example.

Even moreso compared to a thicker .925 Ukrainian coin.

And have to mentally adjust even further for some larger / heavier bars.

But after a while, one can recognize what to expect for various dimensions / weight / composition.

Agreed, though: A precious metals verifier can certainly pay for itself quite easily.

Heck, there's even a (free?) smart-phone app for the ring test, if anything..

15. Razz

Razz Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

i have my doubt ab out this panda but iam not shure is there a experienced eye who can take a look thx
    i compared it with some fakes on ebay and compared it to a ncg ms70
    the nails of the left arm of the big panda looks a lump by the fakes with the ngc ms 70 and others (real ones) the nails are countable and more detailed
    also the plastic foil seems off compared to others on the bay but maybe its just my imagination .

16. barsenault

Uh oh. Let's see what the experts say. I have no idea, as I already got burned. lol.

17. mtforpar

mtforpar Member

It seems to me like the bamboo near the 10 Yuan symbol between the legs of the Adult Panda is different on the two coins in the photo. Also the bamboo shoots themselves appear different. The joint lines on the shoots are not as distinct or even present on the unslabbed coin. The leaves in the mouth of the Adult panda are different as well. I would say it is a fake.

18. Razz

Razz Member

Hawk eye is a better name for you thanks so much great observation

19. barsenault

Wowza Mtforpar. It's why I stay away from ordering on eBay.By the way, are you a golfer?

20. Razz

Razz Member