Which to buy, 2015 silver Britannias or silver Maples?

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Jim4silver, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Jim4silver

Jim4silver Well-Known Member

If you had to choose between these two choices only? Assume the same price for each, both in tubes of 25 coins. I am trying to decide and like both.

Thanks!

Jim

2. 1ozTrOy

1ozTrOy New Member

Depends on where you reside i guess. Leafs if youre in canada and brits if youre somewhere in the UK. Makes it easier to unload imo.
    I had ase, brits, fiji and so on but got rid of them and just kept all sml coins. It also depends on your exit strategy as in who you plan to sell it.

3. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Britannias all the way. The 2015 has a nice effect to it.

4. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

Subject to milk spot

5. Jim4silver

I know both are subject to milk spots, and I am buying both for $2.50 or so over spot, so I consider it bullion. The buy/sell spread is pretty equal where I live on both of these coins.

I am with Altima and leaning towards the Britannias only because I already have a good amount of Maples, and I am 90% sure the Maples will spot over time, whereas the Britannias might be a bit less likely to spot?

Jim

6. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy New Member

Based on this information, the decision is a no-brainer non-decision. If you're already loaded up good with bullion coins afflicted with Canadian Herpes, it's definitely time to buy into some Britannias. Up until now, they've been less historically plagued with those "Damned Spots" (credit given to Lady Macbeth) than the CSM's.

7. Stroctor

Stroctor New Member

I keep reading about these milk spots. I pulled a tube of 2015 and 2012 Maples I have and had not seen a one. /Keeps fingers crossed

8. SilverKendo

SilverKendo New Member

Britannias all the way! Maples are ok but not as cool in my opinion.

9. Pikachu

Pikachu New Member

Mintage is the answer.

10. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

My vote would be for Britannias. I wouldn't even think twice, even if Britannias were a fraction more expensive than Maples.

11. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy New Member

I doubt that. These are both close to bottom-end bullion coins that are cranked out at a mass production level. In addition, the CSMs are famous for milk spots and the Brits are known for mint damage, post-mint damage and (to a lesser degree) spotting. The probability of mintage ever influencing the resale value of the 2015 issues of either of these two coins is nil.

12. Stroctor

Stroctor New Member

That brings up a general question I have for selling silver since I have only purchased and never sold...

Silver rounds would sell for spot, bullion for slightly over and numismatics substantially over depending on rarity?

13. 1ozTrOy

1ozTrOy New Member

If you already have sml and you said you will be buying 25 i will just go with 25oz bar like monarch precious metals or get a kilo with a low premium instead. Again it all depends on why youre stacking and exit strategy.

14. Jim4silver

I pretty much stick to gov made bullion only (silver and gold) anymore. I started out getting generic (Engelhard, JM, Wall Street Mint) bars early on. But now I believe the extra buck or so I pay for a gov minted coin is worth it, and will be recouped someday when I sell although that is not my main concern. I believe in the future, when/if silver rises again, there will be an inundation of good fakes (better than now even). The gov made stuff usually has more complex patterns than generic and are harder to fake well (at least for now). Plus, I know buying fresh current year gov minted coin rolls from the local store are not fakes anyway, but I am thinking of when I sell and what that buyer paying $50, $100, yes I'm dreaming, would rather have, a Maple or Britannia or a generic round/bar.

Just my opinion.

Jim