Best Gold PM Kangaroo to Invest?

Discussion in 'Gold Coins' started by BuggedOut, Jul 26, 2015.

1. BuggedOut

BuggedOut Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'm new to stacking, but I am looking at getting into some semi-numismatic coins (both silver and gold)

I'm looking at the Perth Mint Australian Kangaroos and am wondering if they are a good option for collectors and stackers alike. If so, what denomination do people think would be the best option for medium-to-long term investment?
    The 1oz is closest to spot and probably would be my initial instinct to go for, but looking at the mintages :-

http://www.perthmint.com.au//docume...ngaroo_Gold_Bullion_Coin_Series_1987-2015.pdf

It looks like the 1oz changed from having a 350K maximum mintage to being unlimited in 2014, so is that likely to reduce the chance of growing a semi-numismatic premium in the future? Would I be better off paying higher premium for the 1/2, 1/4 and/or 1/10 fractional coins (which still have a max mintage) and just buying more of them? Or is the Declared Mintage a more important number when speculating on future likely demand/rarity?

Also, does the unlimited mintage leave the door wide open for a remint scenario down the track like what happened to the Kookaburra series?

2. dragafem

dragafem Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

kangas are not really popular and usually any size would go close to spot. buy the cheapest possible.

3. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Haha. Sorry but kangaroos aren't exactly collectible. Maybe you can try yyour luck with the anniversary one but don't get your hopes up.

Pay a little more for the gold lunars or gold pandas.

4. silverprepper999

silverprepper999 New Member

I never understood why kangaroos were not colectable. Different designd each year, personaly I like them more than lunars...

5. BuggedOut

Lunars and Pandas are already on my accumulation list. But here I'm looking for a little diversification, even if that means taking a bit of a contrarian approach. The Kangaroos seem like a potentially decent semi-numismatic and I am just trying to understand what the situation is with them so I can formulate an informed investment strategy for Kangaroos.

6. -j-p-shmorgan

-j-p-shmorgan New Member

Nothing is collectible, until it is.

7. Aurora et luna

Aurora et luna Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Consider stacking a few 2010 Boxing Kangaroos if prices are similar to other dates.
    The design that year is excellent.

8. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

Yeah, these may take off a bit more in the coming years/decades.. Who knows.

Haven't looked into pricing much, but from what I have seen, they do selectively pick up some additional premium as time passes -- at least here in the US.

Difficult to compete with the 12 different creatures of Lunars, though.. :/

These are probably more like the Au version of Kooks.

9. fishtaco

fishtaco Active Member Silver Stacker

Bullion dealers sell past date gold kangsroos and privy for more than the latest coin price, same on SS trade section?

10. fishtaco

fishtaco Active Member Silver Stacker

And some of the most overlooked of now become the most sought after by collectors in the future! :cool:

11. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

If collect them, then they all call collectible. ;)

12. SilverBullet8241

SilverBullet8241 New Member

Question from a stacker of a few months. If both lunars and pandas have shitload better past performance last couple years 5 years and further back than the kangaroo then why would one buy the kangaroo? It is not much dif in price and it consistently doesn't go up as much? Not arguing just I don't get it ?

13. BuggedOut

Past performance is not necessarily a good guide to future performance.

The contrarian approach generally would consider that the previous good performance of pandas and lunars has resulted in higher premiums for those products being factored in. For my relatively newbie eye, however, I could not see a great difference between the gold kangaroo and the silver kookaburra (apart from the metal content). They both are bullion with changing design and (did have) limited mintage.

In my other lines of work it rarely pays to follow the herd. You make good investments by identifying an undervalued niche and investing in that. Thought the gold kangaroo could be one of those.

14. madaw1

madaw1 Well-Known Member

Who has said that they are not collectable? Try only get kangaroo year 2000 , even 2007 and one will have the answer /someone hat to collect all of them/

15. dragafem

dragafem Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

2000 and 2007-I guess lower mintage would make them more desirable-but how much more apart from the others?

16. madaw1

madaw1 Well-Known Member

Few years back I've tried to collect all of them-/because they are not ;collectable' I was thinking would be easy to collect them/ how wrong I was and I had to give up. I would say year 2000 you can't get it unless you pay $500 over spot on Ampex/it's not always available/ some others from 1996 till 2007 very hard get/ for dissent price / with the premium between $250 and $400 like selling by KJC. I agree there is a little interest from 2010 till now but maybe in 10 years time -who knows?