Are these milk spots on Perth Mint lunar silver coins?

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by MoralHazard, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Silverpv

Silverpv New Member

Is this common on Lunars? I've gone back and looked at several different coins and most of them have this sort of haze right on the face. It's not noticeable looking directly at it but under bright white light it shows. I don't think these are milk spots, it seems concentrated right in the middle and its not splotchy at all.

2. silverprepper999

silverprepper999 New Member

I have milkspots on my Lunar Rabbit (s2) 1oz, saltwater crocodiles and spiders.

3. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

I hope when I buy some Lunar Goat Kilos in a few days, that there are no white spots. BUT even if they happen to get some, I still think at 16.39 an ounce, how can one go wrong? The premium is so low on these, that is seems like a no brainer. Now the 1 oz lunar goats? Forget about it. at 28 a pop, no way. If those things get spots, the premium is gone!! Out the window. And that's a 12.00 premium per oz. And if I got 32.15 of those 1 oz, it would be nearly 400 wiped out vs. the kilo, no thanks Perth Mint. :)))

4. Silverpv

Silverpv New Member

My main concern was on the 2oz'ers I picked up a few of these, many with a good premium and most of them have that haze, but its only seen in bright light and not as noticeable regular light. I took a 5x loupe to it and didn't see and distinguishing marks.

5. barsenault

That's why I only buy in packs of 5 on the 2 oz'ers, so when I sell, they will be in the perth mint wrap. I hope there is none of this white haze on mine, however. :p I have about 175 of those 2 oz'ers tucked away. :rolleyes::/:(

6. Silverpv

Silverpv New Member

Thats the thing, many in the wrap have them. I'm sure several of the ones i got came directly from mint rolls and they have them. But if you sell in 5-packs, not your fault. I tend to agree that it was the stamping process that caused the issue. 175 is a lot of 5 packs! I'm late to the game, but think now is a decent time to start buying... :(

7. barsenault

hey silverpv...yeah, maybe they are there, but I'll never know. :D And hopefully those who buy them from me one day when I'm old and grey will keep the perth mint wrap intact, and they'll never know. And so on, down the line. LOL. I'm not selling mine individually, but in 5's with the wrap. Mine are mostly horses, and I got a good deal on them. :D

I wonder what the 2 oz horses are going for these days, anyone know?

8. Silverpv

Silverpv New Member

I've seen them on the bay for $64-60 on buy it now and some mint rolls go for $55 a pop. Gotta wait till the monkeys come out.

Luckily, I picked up a couple of 2008's recently that didn't have this problem. Do you have a roll of those? =D

9. Pikachu

Pikachu New Member

The same problem on my coins from 2013. White fog on the face of the queen. I do not see the problem on the Dragons from 2012.
    Someone tried to remove this stain?

10. PeterS

PeterS Member

I'm no expert but did think this fog on the Queen's face was different to the typical milk spots on some of my maples but maybe it's just another version of the same thing. If it seems the incidence of these things is increasing on Perth Mint stuff paying much premium for them is a worry. If the FWS is any example I'll be approaching the 2016 coins with caution when they appear!

11. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Aint that the truth!

If Perth can't guarantee spotless bullion coins we should be paying spot for them because they have "no" collector value imo. :|

I'm also, waiting before buying 2016 coins. :(

12. Pikachu

Pikachu New Member