Useless Trivial facts

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by renovator, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

HIPPOPOTOMONSTROSESQUIPPEDALIOPHOBIA is the fear of long words.

2. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEgeh5hA5ko[/youtube]
    lucky the bear ran for it :)

3. ego2spare

ego2spare Well-Known Member

over 7000 deaths occur each year due to doctors sloppy handwriting

4. Stoic Phoenix

Stoic Phoenix Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

wouldnt it be due to people misreading the writing and acting upon their misinterpretation of it?

5. ego2spare

if u get paid hundreds of thousands a year to write a few words or sentences that could seriously injure or kill someone if it wasnt clearly readable. its completely your fault

6. Stoic Phoenix

DO unicorns fart skittles in your world too?
    Last i checked doctors were paid "hundreds of thousands" to operate on people, not to write legible quatrains.
    Its the misinterpretation of the writing not the writing that is the issue... if you couldnt understand an instruction regarding someones life wouldnt you double check it? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

7. ego2spare

i did not know thats how skittles were made. another interesting fact for the thread :)
    lets say... mother gets a prescription for her child and it says "take 3 tablets daily" but she thinks it looks like an 8 ...and she asks her husband "is that an 3 or 8" and he says 8 and she asks a friend who also says 8.
    me thinks thats kinda how many of these deaths would happen. im sure alot of unicorn skittle eating jurys would agree with me that the doctor would be at fault also.

8. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

My GPs use a computer (imagine that) and type the prescription and then print it out

9. Stoic Phoenix

This scenario wouldnt happen, script goes to pharmicist who then prints a label which goes on box/bottle of meds.
    A unicorn farting skittles has a higher probability of occurring than your scenario
    Furthermore in your hypothetical you basically enacted out what I said in that misinterpretation is the flaw, two people misinterpreting is still misinterpreting. Checking with your "husband"..serious...wouldnt you check with the doctor?
    I do appreciate you proving my point though thanks

10. Marsi

Marsi Member Silver Stacker

If you intend to communicate through handwriting then it is a reasonable expectation by the interpreting party that it is legible. R I can't stand it my reports get reviewed with amendments in handwriting and I can't read it. Same goes for blurry and crooked scans and my pet hate accronyms without their full reference being cited IYKWIM!

11. Stoic Phoenix

Its also a more than reasonable expectation that if for some reason you can not understand something you verify it, guessing or assuming what is written and then acting on what you incorrectly assume it is causes the errors...the error doesnt occur until action is taken...the old saying "assumptions are the mother of all turtle ups"....enough said.
    I too am averse to poor handwriting but saying doctors cause 7000 deaths due to sloppy handwriting is a ludicrous claim

12. ego2spare

thats an example..pharmacists read hundreds of crappy doctors scribbles a week. if they cant read one they would ask the other pharmacists. pharmacists are crappy note reading experts. if the doctor is THAT BAD that they think it says something completely different, then so would everybody else. ive seen alot of doctors write out scripts while on the phone, talking to someone, not looking at the pad. some handwriting is so bad it looks like it clearly says other words. technically what your saying is a doctor could accidentally prescribe, i dono.. Zestril heart attack tablets and if that person dies from those tablets the doctor could claim it actually says Panadol... is there a limit on how clear or unclear it has to be? if the doctor superscribe something and 10 people, 100 people, 1000 people think it definitely says another thing, is it still just a misinterpretation? what is your number sonic? next time u get your script filled at the pharmacy sonic, get the pharmacist to call your doctor to check what it says. even if u can read it also. get her to tipple check, then demand that he be there. because "two people misinterpreting is still misinterpreting" :eek: .so in the unicorn ass sucking world u live in, someone can write something and then say it dosent actually say that. i know this is in type but if you or anyone who reads this is not completely on my side by now. then your kinda just misinterpreting my whole post. and its not my fault that you just dont get it, apparently it must be yours.

13. Stoic Phoenix

Maybe if the pharmacist is "tipple checking it" thats the issue, I would prefer my pharmicist not have a tipple while on the job. :p
    You've seen a lot of doctors write scripts while on the phone? I doubt that unprovable statement unless you work in the healthcare profession or are one of those drains on society who sees a doctor everytime he has a paper cut.
    If 1000 people misinterpret it its still misinterpretation just like if 1000 people go for a swim they go for a swim.
    Ego you are missing the basic point that an error doesnt occur until action is taken.
    People have a choice, check or do not check. If they dont check its hardly the doctors entire fault.
    Guess what I have written something before and told someone it didnt say what they thought it said...you know why...BECAUSE THEY TURTLING MISREAD IT you numpty.
    I cant believe you are clinging so desperately to an invalid/flawed factoid like it was your last vestige of life...let it go champ, the way you are acting its as if you dont have any ego to spare.

14. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The most common material in the world? Perovskite. It's a mineral compound of magnesium, silicon and oxygen ask accounts off half the total mass of the planet.

15. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Perovskite sounds like a russian word for a proponent of Perostroika.

16. Currawong

Currawong Member Silver Stacker

That's because Perovskite was first discovered in Russia by a German mineralogist and named after a Lev Perovski who was a Russian geologist and minister of internal affairs in czarist Russia at the time.

17. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

18. -j-p-shmorgan

-j-p-shmorgan New Member

19. boneyard

boneyard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

[​IMG]

it is a BLUE MOON.

20. whinfell

whinfell Well-Known Member Silver Stacker