Greece Accepts 86bn Bailout

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by House, Jul 13, 2015.

1. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

[​IMG]

2. sterling-nz

sterling-nz Well-Known Member

All i can say is someone has just made a turtling great deal.
    With all the ANCIENT history we have in Greece and the country has effectively been sold for a piss poor $129billion.
    Now i know to us mere mortals $129billion is a huge amount of money , but to sell the country that gave us Aphrodite, Apollo, Zeus ,Athena and many other household names for that amount of money is just plain ridiculous.

3. TheEnd

TheEnd Well-Known Member

So what happens after another 3 years and they still cant pay their debts?

I thought the referendum decided NO to austerity.....WOt the hell happened to that???

4. Arsenal

Arsenal New Member

Just shows what a bunch of sellouts their politicians and bankers are. I truly feel sorry for the greek people that their leaders and bankers are such a bunch lowlifes who have further plunged the country into further debt that the germans (and other euros') know they can't pay back.

The can got kicked around for another couple of months today. They couldn't pay back any of the last bailouts, how are they going to pay back this one???

This is not going to end well for the greeks.......

5. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

6. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

7. Peter

Peter Well-Known Member

It aren't over till the fat lady sings.

8. nickybaby

nickybaby Active Member Silver Stacker

Just read a bbc report on the terms of the bail out.

It is going to take some fast talking to get this through Greek parliament.

Especially the part about assets being controlled by non Greek entities.

9. Arsenal

Arsenal New Member

In the end this is what lending the greeks money that they can't pay back is about.

Europe: "oh what... you can't pay back the money we lent you?"
    Greece: "No"
    Europe: "ok then we will control all your assets and govt owned company's..... did I mention we will also take all the profits and create the rules"

10. Peter

Peter Well-Known Member

Former finance minister likens deal to 'new Versailles Treaty'

In his first interview since resigning earlier this month, former Greek finance minister Yanis Varoufakis described the bailout deal agreed to by Mr Tsipras as "a new Versailles Treaty".

"This is the politics of humiliation," he told Radio National's Late Night Live.

"The troika have made sure that they will make him eat every single word that he uttered in criticism of the troika over the last five years. Not just these six months we've been in government, but in the years prior to that.

"This has nothing to do with economics. It has nothing to do with putting Greece on the way to recovery.

"This is a new Versailles Treaty that is haunting Europe again, and the prime minister knows it. He knows that he's damned if he does and he's damned if he doesn't."

Mr Varoufakis rejected the deal in the strongest possible terms, comparing it to the 1967 coup d'etat that installed a military dictatorship in the Mediterranean nation.

"In the coup d'etat the choice of weapon used in order to bring down democracy then was the tanks. Well, this time it was the banks. The banks were used by foreign powers to take over the government," he said.
    Video 7:45
    Syriza MP Stelios Kouloglou speaks to Auskar Surbakti
    Greece clinches 86-billion-euro bailout deal The World

"The difference is that this time they're taking over all public property."

Mr Varoufakis suggested that Mr Tsipras may call a snap election rather than bring the deal before the Greek parliament, saying he would be "very surprised" if Mr Tsipras wanted to stay on as prime minister.

He insisted, however, that he and Mr Tsipras remain on good terms, and that he has kept a low profile over the last week in order to support Mr Tsipras and his successor in the finance ministry, Euclid Tsakolotos.

"I jumped more than I was pushed," he said, describing his resignation in the immediate aftermath of the 'no' vote in the July 6 referendum on bailout terms similar to those accepted on Monday.

Syriza member of the European parliament Stelios Kouloglou said Mr Tsipras was blackmailed into accepting the deal with eurozone leaders.

"The style was very colonial, like take it or leave it, we are the bosses," he told the ABC's The World program.

"You cannot find one serious economist in the world who will tell you that after six years of recession, you need more austerity."
    Asked whether the tough conditions imposed on Greece were not similar to the 1919 Versailles Treaty that forced crushing reparations on a defeated Germany after World War I, Ms Merkel said: "I won't take part in historical comparisons, especially when I didn't make them myself."

ABC/wires

11. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Lets see if it goes ahead, if it does I will be so pissed for the hours I have wasted reading about the Greece dilemma.
    Will be Australia in a decade at this rate

12. volrathy

volrathy Active Member

what happens when the can gets so big and you have to start pushing it up hill ?

13. CriticalSilver

CriticalSilver New Member Silver Stacker

Well, Tsipras is a communist as well as an aspirant MEP. That is, he is not a republican nor is he aligned with the idea of independence or freedom, so what can you expect.

Its all a bad joke unfortunately. I wish I had read his bio earlier in the piece, so I wouldn't have built hope for anything good to come of the debacle. He's just another career politician looking for job security.

The EU will use Greece an an example of their type of Federalism and use it as a model for expanding the control of Brussels over other has-been nations in the Union.

This will be seen as a bump in the road of the continuity of debt expansion and all the doomsayers predicting a financial collapse of the EU banking system and rampant contagion brought on by the Grecian demise will be wrong, again. It will be QE as usual with liquidity injections up the sphincter for all the crony, colonic irrigation they can muster.

The can is far from reaching its kick-able limit.