That moment when you realise you just went full retard

Discussion in 'Stocks & Derivatives' started by phrenzy, Jul 9, 2015.

1. phrenzy

phrenzy In Memoriam - July 2017 Silver Stacker

Lesson to anyone that will listen: don't trade when half asleep or drunk, they basically amount to the same thing.

I got some bad medical news yesterday that had me up for half the night and although I've never made a mistake like this before, sleep deprived or otherwise, I should have known better. I thought years of doing technical work 48 hours straight at LAN parties and the like had made me immune from such silly mistakes due to sleep deprivation but apparently not.

I got a small (like $750) order filled of pen C series options (mature this December at $0.03 a share) at $0.003 this morning that I'd had been hoping would come through for about a week and decided to have a look at the order depth that had finally made it happen. Looks pretty thin says I, there's only about 500,000 of standing buys at $0.002 and couple of bottom feeders at $0.001. Nobody is selling at that price but someone could come in with a big at market. Maybe I'll be cheeky and put a standing order in at $0.002 and another in at $0.001, you never know right? So I go to put in 600000 at $0.002 and it gets instantly filled! Fantastic, brilliant, everybody happy, what a strange concidence that someone jumped in on the other end when I was there to buy, price discovery in the market really does work...little odd though, maybe I'll just check my portfolio...gasp.

I accidentally put in an order for 600000 at $0.02 and got the standing sales at $0.004. So instead of $1200 worth of options at $0.002 I got $2400 of options at twice the price and have to cough up for them in addition to the $750 I bought at 0.003.

I've been a pretty big cheerleader for pen but not $3000 worth of options in this economic climate like them. It is partly the commsec apps fault as it hangs unless you tap the screen twice between every page and I might have caught it if I wasn't mindlessly tapping the screen but this is on me, that's just the reason my idiocy caught me out. I could have had 5 nights in Bali but instead I have 30 seconds thinking I got a slight bargain on options.

My message to everyone:
    Don't do what donny don't does!
    Review your buy orders in detail!

2. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I can top that advice.

Don't text your Ex after midnight, a lovely dinner and 2 bottles of wine.

3. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

4. phrenzy

On the plus side I have a cool story in that I single handedly moved the price action on a $200M public companies most actively traded options. It's still reading $0.004 because of me. That's kind of cool.

5. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I can top that. I still have someone thinking about a restraint order 8 years later!

;)

6. Rick4691

Rick4691 Member Silver Stacker

haha classic well done phrenzy, at least you have the dollars to cover and the balls to admit your stuffup.

7. -j-p-shmorgan

-j-p-shmorgan New Member

You gunna be rich when it's worth a penny. lmfao

8. phrenzy

It really wouldn't have happened if their stupid app didn't screw up and I could have reviewed my order (would have been obvious that the value of my order would have been much higher than my intended total), but I missed the "0".

As for being rich I would have beg twice as rich if I got the options at half the price like I wanted...oh well, it's only 4 weeks pay.

I wouldn't worry about that restraint order too much Julie, today's Internet let's you stalk on your phone right from the comfort of your house, you'll be fine :)