Silver or Gold

Discussion in 'Silver' started by copperhead, Jun 26, 2015.

1. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

Silver still remains priced well for stacking .
    Still I respect the value of a gold coin for its size to value.
    I have settled on 1/10 oz gold purchases , the price above premium is acceptable particular since long term is my goal with store of value being my main concern & silver keeps stacking .

If I was to try for lower premiums with gold then it will cause me to have no funds for silver .
    Has any one ever taken a brake from silver and worked on gold for like a year . I would but still feel silver has the best chance to double in value .
    A hiatus from silver could really get me lower on gold premiums per month
    But ........

Still the thought of having some real gold ounces stacked is tempting
    & would be an accomplishment But .......

2. silverprepper999

silverprepper999 New Member

2014 I was byung some silver generic rounds.... accumulated about 70-80ozs till the end of the year. Sold everything, and bought gold coins (mostly 1/4-ers). Now, since 2015 I collect silver again, but only goverment minted coins (mostly Silver Britannias 2015 and Noah Arks....). I find 1/10 gold have a bit more premiums than 1/4 or 5gram bars. 1/10 way to expensive. Id rather save money, and buy 1/4 every two months, than 1/10 every month.....

3. Jim4silver

Jim4silver Well-Known Member

I personally like gold better for its beauty and weight, but for the past couple years silver is a better buy if you believe both gold and silver will rise someday. The gold/silver ratio is about at its highest level right now. Back in 2010-2011 when both metals were rising, silver rose much more on a percentage basis and the ratio lowered to almost 35 or so (today it is 74 or so). If PMs were to rise in price again like 2011, you could basically sell your silver for gold at the right time, and end up with double the amount of gold in the future than you could buy now with cash. That is what I am planning on doing and hoping it occurs.

Here are gold/silver ratio charts to check out to see what I am saying.

http://www.kitco.com/Gold_Silver_Ratio_Charts/gold-silver-ratio-charts.html

If the sheeple ever wake up someday (when PM's are on the rise and TV talk show hosts are urging the masses to buy PM's- this generally occurs towards the end of the bull run), the masses will probably not be able to afford much gold unless they are wealthier folks to begin with. But even the "brokest" ones could be a few ounces of silver, even if it were $50-$100 per ounce.

Just my opinion.

Jim

4. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

Around $111 over the existing premium paid for one ounce of gold anyway
    could = 6 ounces of silver .
    I figure if I just buy it I'll get the fever for more & more

5. Jim4silver

Jim4silver Well-Known Member

Gold to me is more "addictive" than silver if compared equally. The first PM I bought was a gold Krug ($600 and I thought that was expensive, LOL) and as ugly as they are, holding it in my hand got me hooked on gold right at that moment. I bought gold only for a year or two after that until I decided silver was the thing to buy. If you don't have any 1 ounce or larger coins, I would definitely buy one just for art appreciation purposes. The Mexican 50 peso is a nice big coin with cheap premiums. But for higher volume I am sticking with silver. Hopefully that turns out to be a good move someday. I think there will be a time after the ratio narrows to be heavier into gold.

Jim

6. Peter

Peter Well-Known Member

. I would but still feel silver has the best chance to double in value .

And has the best chance of halving in value.
    Buy gold, its safer.

7. sterling-nz

sterling-nz Well-Known Member

I hear what you are saying.
    I certainly would not have had the respect i do for gold without first HAVING SILVER to make the comparison of weight to value.
    Silver is my prefered stacking metal, as i can easily see silver jumping to $32 an ozt and not so optimistic about seeing gold goto $2200 in the same time frame.
    Once you have 73 ozt of silver and sit it next to a gold 1 ozt coin YOU CAN NOT HELP BUT RESPECT GOLD.

8. scrooged

scrooged New Member

Very tempting.

My problem is I get itchy feet. The second I have a couple of hundy spare I generally go roo huntin'.
    1/10 roos that is.
    I've made it to 1/2 oz once, but my pure lack of will power tells me that will never happen again. :|

Don't worry too much about the premiums. When gold is $50k an oz and milk is $100k a litre, you'll prolly just keep them anyway. :)

9. isnevan

isnevan New Member

Has the silver/gold ration ever been this high? Does anyone expect it to return to the near 1:15 historical ratio anytime soon?

10. scrooged

scrooged New Member

Wouldn't have a clue, but at a guess I'd say never again let alone soon.

11. isnevan

isnevan New Member

Just curious scrooged but why would you say that? When both assets inevitably rise do expect Gold to outpace silver? If so, why? Thanks.

12. fishtaco

fishtaco Active Member Silver Stacker

I do the same , but I only buy 1/10th every month and have just started buying the odd 1g certicard with my silver orders. Its a bad way to buy gold true but 1g certicards and 1/10ths get snapped up in the ss trade section faster than 1ozers plus there is the initial small outlay to own some gold with enough funds to keep buying silver as well.

I have decided to stop buying re seller added high premium silver coins/rounds and to stop feeding others profits, instead I will just buy 1g certicards in place of the high premium silver coins/rounds .

I know many would disagree but to me it seems the market is being flooded with silver bullion coins that demand a high re sale premium, eventually there will nobody to re buy them except others looking to make even more premium ending in nobody to sell them to. An example is the WTE! a few months ago and before 2015 WTE release 2014s were selling easily for $55 and up each on ss, infact I had trouble finding a few at that price but a member recently got no bites selling them much cheaper this month.

How long before this happens with lunars? There are only so many collectors and newer collectors may well just start with new issue lunars or re strike coins leaving past collector/sellers to hunt for their premium back from another past collector who made the premium profit in the first instance.

Look how much new release SBSS rounds are being re sold for,there is nothing unique about these rounds any more other than in the mind of the buyer expecting a greater premium increases when in fact they are the ones who have already paid it.

I would stick to the 1/10ths it doesnt take long to build up an oz and you dont miss the funds outlay for larger gold purchases,you can buy anything in bulk and save if you have the funds to do so! Silver property vehicles food and gold! do those who buy gold in greater quantities becaue buying in smaller quantities is a false economy also do the same with all there purchases? :)

13. scrooged

scrooged New Member

It's a guess, so I don't need facts to back it. :)

I doubt that gold will outpace silver, but I think a ratio closer to the last 100 year average is more realistic than 1:15.

I'm not sure the question should be why won't it be 1:15 (anytime soon or ever) but why would it?

14. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

They advantage to 1/10 equals A safer feeling if gold ever went to the moon
    re selling will be easer .

Just the same , looking at a 1/10 gold bar compared to a one ounce silver coin
    makes me wonder is the value of gold reality or convinced to us as such .

3100 B.C., evidence of a gold/silver value ratio in the code of Menes, the founder of the first Egyptian dynasty. It is stated that "one part of gold is equal to two and one half parts of silver in value."

Gold dates back to 6000 BC. Copper 4200 BC, Silver 4000 BC with that in mind
    my concerns are minute compared to 8000 years

15. fishtaco

fishtaco Active Member Silver Stacker

But they didnt mine and extract like they do now.

I am sure the value of everything is convinced to us :)

16. scrooged

scrooged New Member

mm, I think the Romans stated 1:12, the US 1:15 and the French 1:15.5

1:2.5
    1:12
    1:15
    1:15.5
    1:40 .. any takers? :)