How much is enough?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by House of Commons, May 18, 2015.

1. House of Commons

House of Commons New Member

So if you were to buy silver to sustain you in a crisis (ie US dollar is debunked and hyper inflation was the norm) how much would you need. Lets say the household has 2 adults, no debt, $1000/month rent. Would gold be more liquid? How much would you need to feel safe. I know there are variables like would the price of silver and gold sky-rocket and what country? Add those variables into your answers.

2. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

I replaced my former euro saving with silver saving.
    Whether there was, is or will be a crisis, a hyperwhatever, I see as irrelevant.
    The more ounces the more I feel safe.
    With my former euro savings it wasn't different. The more I had, the more safe I felt.
    Only that I'm now sure of ounces silver instead of electronic or paper promises.
    About your variables, they aren't of any importance because for ex even a hyperinflation scenario doesn't change the relative prices in a skyrocketing way.
    I think your question entirely misses the point of stacking assets, whatever they are, gold, silver or wool socks.
    Just my answer.

3. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Think food and water for a couple of months.

4. sterling-nz

sterling-nz Well-Known Member

Can never really have enough silver and gold.
    If you are talking specifically SHTF then 100ozt of silver would be fine.
    If you need anymore than this the situation is dire and pm's are not going to be of much help.
    1 of the big things i have learned in my life is DO NOT RELY ON THE AUTHORITIES in times of disaster.
    It does not even have to be a major event and they may not be able to respond to life threatening situations.
    As nice as it would be to think during a flood,earthquake,storm that help is a phone call away, THIS IS NOT THE CASE.
    You have to be prepared to be the ONLY source of help in the smallest or largest of disasters.
    Even the likes of the CHCH earthquake here a few years back , if you were not at the super early you missed out on bread and other essentials and i am not even in CHCH.
    Centralization is great UNTIL SOMETHING GOES WRONG and then its faults become blatantly obvious.
    Even in not SHTF situations you have to be ready, my 2 year old collapsed unconscious a few months back and the ambulance still took over 15 mins to get here.
    By the time they got here i had him stable and would have been far better of transporting him myself.
    This is the lesson learned for me and i will never EVER rely on emergency services to get help in a timely manner.
    Sure they are busy and that is fine , but it was NOT FINE when i thought they were just a call away, THEY ARE NOT:)

5. The SHTF scenario is more likely than most actually realize but it's not necessarily what many may at first assume it is.
    A disaster, financial or other wise does not have to affect the whole world, a single country or a town, it will more likely, in fact inevitably, be a personal disaster affecting only you or your household.
    If you are aware and prepared for that eventuality then you are wise and have taken out the best form of insurance you can get.
    So, how much, I believe, infinitely varies among individuals and their current circumstances.
    The more time you have to prepare the more you will likely accumulate but along with the accumulation of assets for the SHTF event will invariably be the accumulation of liabilities, debt for example.
    I would say the best equation is enough to maintain a reasonable balance of assets and liabilities and this is in constant flux.
    To that I would add the caveat to never borrow in preparation for a future financial crisis.

6. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

7. Agnostic

Agnostic Active Member Silver Stacker

Its a good question but there are so many variables.

Anyway, here is a rough go.

1. Assume silver has similar purchasing value to now (that's safer than assuming it will skyrocket)
    2. In SHTF I will assume you only really worry about the essentials. So say $400pw plus rent $250pw = $650pw
    3. Silver $22/oz = 30 ounces per week
    4. Duration of crisis = 1 year
    5. Ounces required = 1560 ounces

Okay, so ballpark 1500 ounces for a basic crisis.

Each child might add $100 or 4 ounces or 200 ounces for the year.

So 2 adults 2 kids 1900 ounces.

There you go.

Feel free to contact me towards the end of the crisis if these quantities prove insufficient ;)

8. Roswell Crash Survivor

Roswell Crash Survivor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Ironic, how Argentina frequently develop debt crises when its name could be translated as 'land of silver'.

9. House of Commons

House of Commons New Member

These are all good answers and the start of a useful discussion. Being in Canada I feel relatively safe but I know that's wishful thinking. I am watching the Argentine video now. I am a photojournalist and have seen how fast peace can turn into chaos. I am stacking this stuff for retirement and as a bit of a gamble that silver will find it's true price one day. I often remind people that before 2008 most people never heard of Lehman Brothers (sp) but this one institution all most took down the world economy. Canada and Australia have resources to sell so our dollar will always have value, it's the rest of the world that I worry about.
    I figured of it all went to SH!T then 20-30oz / month would be enough.

10. Eruaran

Eruaran Member

I've seen this before. It's a good documentary.

11. phrenzy

phrenzy In Memoriam - July 2017 Silver Stacker

It looks bad but they were only worried because this was happening on a day when they DIDN'T lose a football game.

12. fishtaco

fishtaco Active Member Silver Stacker

Minimum of 200 oz,s of silver for everyone so I think most on ss are safe :) If TSHTF with the US $ then another currency will take its place.

If you hoard too much who are you going to sell it to and for what?

Hiding a reasonable amount of wealth in pms from the govnt way ahead of retirement is a better scenario and my goal!

If there is ever another world war your super and savings along with any pms will be taken from you and never replaced just like my grand parents iron railings at the font of their house were sawn off for the ww2 war effort!