NGC Releases Tokens and Medals Census

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by mmissinglink, Jun 5, 2015.

1. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

2. NumiKat

NumiKat New Member

Interesting link, thanks.

As I remember, several months ago NGC announced they would open their grading services to some privately-minted medals beyond just those minted by official mints. But from your link the website dated April 28, 2015 says, "NGC will only grade and encapsulate modern Chinese medals that have been made at one of the four official Mints of China (Nanjing, Shanghai, Shenyang, and Shenzhen Guobao). While NGC maintains a large record of official Chinese medals, we cannot guarantee that we can attribute all medals sent to us." Does this mean that NGC has changed its grading policy back to a more restrictive one that automatically excludes privately minted medals? :rolleyes:

3. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

They've had that up like that for a couple months now.

Only it took a while for them to fill it in. Guessing that means it's now completed?

Of course, you could find info before all this -- just not organized in this fashion.

Nice to see some recognition for the medals! :cool:

4. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

Actually, I don't think that is correct. Elkslayer just had the Xshi graded recently, and that is minted by a privat mint.

5. Elkslayer132

Elkslayer132 New Member

Yes i had no problem getting Xi Shi graded i have 2 more sets about to be sent in also they look much nicer in slabs.
    And i got lucky, Todays results from NGC
    LineItem Year Mint Mark Variety/Pedigree Denom. Grade Comments Comments
    001 (2014) CHINA 70mm THE GREAT WALL WORLD HERITAGE SILVER MS 70
    002 2014 CHINA 45mm TWO LOVELY PANDAS SILVER PF 69 ULTRA CAMEO
    003 2014 CHINA 45mm TWO LOVELY PANDAS SILVER PF 70 ULTRA CAMEO
    004 2014 CHINA 45mm TWO LOVELY PANDAS BRASS PF 69 ULTRA CAMEO

6. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

Nice! :cool:

7. Elkslayer132

Elkslayer132 New Member

Very happy on that one!
    Don't plan on selling that one but what would a MS70 be worth?

8. mmissinglink

In the past 6 weeks, I'd been in e-mail communication with NGC and asked them about whether or not they will grade 2 specific unofficial mint medals I sent them detailed descriptions and pictures of....those 2 medals (2012 Snake Dance and the 2014 Great Wall From Shanghai Pass to Jiayu Pass) are produced by the Shanghai New Century Medal Company, an unofficial mint. I was told, about a week later, that the graders would grade those medals and slab them (unless they are too big for any of their slabs...then they get graded and receive a special photo certificate). This is what a Photo Certificate looks like apparently: http://s189.photobucket.com/user/Conder101/media/ANACS varieties/NGC varieties/NGC19CERTB.jpg.html

Again, Photo Certificates are issued only for gradeable medals or coins that are not able to fit inside any NGC holder.

So, it looks like NGC may be recognizing the Shanghai New Century Medal Company in the same way as an unofficial mint.

For those who are not familiar with the Shanghai New Century's 2014 Great Wall From Shanghai Pass to Jiayu Pass twin medal set, here it is, 1,000 grams of ultra high relief beauty:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-The-Great-Wall-From-ShanhaiPass-to-JiayuPass-Medal-/251900529902

9. barsenault

Great Info missing. Very nice!!!! Thanks for sharing.

10. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

11. mmissinglink

That may be an older thread with posts from 2013 but it could possibly be the most accurate accounting of NGC's policy on Chinese medals nonetheless.

The Shanghai New Century Medals Company is a well established company / mint from what I have read from people in the know. It is asserted (if I recall correctly) that the Shanghai New Century Medals Company has at its helm (leadership positions), former officials from the Shanghai Mint. The Shanghai New Century Medals Company also employs some renowned designers / sculptors to execute many of the medal designs they produce.

Some of my favorite Chinese medals are produced from this world class mint and so I am happy that NGC will grade medals from the Shanghai New Century Medals Company.

This is the type of quality medals the Shanghai New Century Medals Company has produced recently (I don't own any of these but the quality of both appears exceptional:

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

12. Elkslayer132

Elkslayer132 New Member

Missing in transit now almost 3 weeks from NGC sure hope they get tracked down

001 2014 CHINA 45mm TWO LOVELY PANDAS SILVER PF 69 ULTRA CAMEO
    002 2015 CHINA 2oz PANDA & GOAT SILVER PF 69 ULTRA CAMEO
    003 2015 CHINA 2oz PANDA & GOAT SILVER PF 70 ULTRA CAMEO
    004 2015 CHINA 2oz PANDA & GOAT SILVER PF 70 ULTRA CAMEO
    005 2015 CHINA 2oz PANDA & GOAT SILVER PF 70 ULTRA CAMEO
    006 (2014) CHINA 80g PU XIAN GUANYIN SILVER MS 69
    007 (2013) CHINA 45mm WEN SHU BUDDHA SILVER MS 68

13. barsenault

How can that be? It is registered mail. I'm sure it is just a matter of time.
    Hang in there.

14. Elkslayer132

Elkslayer132 New Member

Yes it is registered, it made it's way through customs then tracking stops june 2 it is only one province away called canada post and they cannot find any tracking for it after what is posted on the 2nd. It should of been here by the june 4th at the latest.
    Ngc said they will start a trace by usps this Friday the 12th it left Florida May 27 sure hope they find it and it did not grow legs. And i have another package on the way back with great wall and others that has not went through customs yet it better make it no problem or i will be really MAD.

15. mmissinglink

I hope you receive all your medals.

Registered Mail is very slow.

That said, the USPS (Post Office) screws up a lot. Just ask Barsenault and me about all the parcels they have screwed up the delivery. Something like 8 months ago, the USPS lost a Signature Required and Insured Priority Mail parcel being sent to me. They stated about a half dozen stories as to how it was lost. After the shipper and I made repeated calls, faxes, emails, and letters of complaint and including insurance claim forms to the USPS, I was made to wait months to get a partial insurance refund...not even a full refund for a parcel that was Insured and Signature Required which they lost.

The USPS has a lot of inept people working for them at all levels...from inept local carriers to inept management.

If you have problems with the USPS, do not hesitate to call the Consumer Affairs division of the USPS to lodge a formal complaint.

16. barsenault

Yeah, Elkslayer, we don't mean to scare you, but they really do suck big bags of poop. Although, I must say, after I listened to what the proces is for securing a registered piece of mail, my confidence grew a bit...not much, but a bit. I just got my 35 medals back, and I have to say, I was dumbounded by the grades (in a good way). I made 6 minute video of box opening...I'll probably cut it down. But has some seriously good grades, but others I was disappointed with, such as life. Gatito may be happy to know that my 5 wutai and emei scored 68...I'm happy.
    Anyway, I think missing is right, it's not missing (pun intended), it's just taking awhile to get to you. I don't like the customs thing, however.

17. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

So far I've received everything, regardless of the country being shipped or service provider. Well I didn't receive one package from France (not PM related) and 1 CD from States that was never sent.
    For PM I now always go with registered and tracking if possible.
    Once I thought some package was lost, travelling here from US through Canada and Turkey, but mailman left it close at where I leave.:/ :)
    There is case of stolen NORFED Euro on this forum as it seems it was packed so that it was seen that coin is inside.
    Customs may delay everything for quite some time.

Based on my experiences, as soon as I start thinking where is my mail shtf happens.
    I hope you will get it soon.
    Still is quite lame.:/

18. Elkslayer132

Elkslayer132 New Member

Tracking has finally shown up again thankfully at 5 am this morning still in same city 10 days later, hopefully i get it monday or tuesday

19. barsenault

that is great.

20. barsenault

By the way, I submitted 16 Panda Goats to NGC. Drum roll please.

14 PF70's
    2 PF69's.

sweeeeet Jesus.

3 Wutai and 2 Emei Silver PF68's. Happy to simply have them authenticated.