Goddesses of Olympus -2015- 2oz Athena

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Schnuffi, May 22, 2015.

1. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

2. SpacePete

Now I'm going to buy two :p

3. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

I think all the other details are pretty nice. I'm sure they'll stand out nicely. :cool: It's just the hideous he, she, it image that distracts. :D. :eek:

4. Taz03

Taz03 Member

I can already see the tag line for this coin.
    Perth Mint Goddesses of Olympus - Athena: inspired by Bruce Jenner transformation. :p

5. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

This goddess, scintilating and beautiful, is worth exchanging some of your fiat money for....

[​IMG]

6. Porcello

Porcello New Member

Now we are talking....

7. SpacePete

8. -j-p-shmorgan

-j-p-shmorgan New Member

Gorgeous coin....insane premium. lol

9. milkyspot

milkyspot Member

@silverpete the medals dont sell very well from my observation. Too much over spot and we are somehow fed up of her.

Aannnd after we got zero points this time we hate ESC generaly:)

10. milkyspot

milkyspot Member

The gold/silver 5oz britannia are really georgeous but way too overprized.

11. Director

Director Member

So where are you guys seeing the pic? I went to Perth Mint and couldn't find it......surely it can't be 'that' bad?

12. Trident

Trident Member Silver Stacker

I like the Athena - all the motifs and symbols are nicely done. Loving those eyebrows in high relief ! I'm certainly up for buying one tomorrow.

Hera is probably uglier - but a magnificent coin in the hand. Athena will be to. I think the Perth Mint minting process for these coins is clever and demonstrates well their new technique.

In comparison to the The Britannia Proof from 2014 - as beautiful as Una and the Lion are.. for me, it is ruined by the "prison planet" symbolism in the background.

13. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

Nuff said.

Not that whole medal is bad, but the face. Bah.... :/

14. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

Even if the bearded-woman's face isn't all that bad in person, that it's just an optical illusion of the image..

"She" still has man-hands. And there's no getting around that. :(

The rest of the design doesn't look half-bad, IMO.

Still ain't gonna get it, though..

15. mmissinglink

Overpriced, depending on which seller you are looking at. Overprized ...maybe...by those who believe that the 2014 5 oz proof Britannia is one of the finest silver coin designs produced by any mint in a long time. :)

What would you say is a fair price?

What's bizarre, and I'm not pointing the finger at you milkyspot (because I don't know you), is that almost every person who says that a particular collector coin is overpriced will pay similar or very high premiums for another collector coin or piece of silver which is way over the current spot price of silver as well. This happens all the time and many of times for coins or silver products that are not nearly as scarce as the 2014 proof Britannia or not nearly as much production time / resources going into it as a coin like the 2014 proof Britannia.

My argument in favor of the high value of the 2014 5 oz proof Britannia (I'm not talking about the nearly USD $5,000 that one seller may be asking for an ungraded version but closer to the USD $1,500 - $1,750 mark) is that it is a remarkably well designed and aesthetically exceptional coin by a designer / sculptor who is apparently a big deal now for the RM. It's also the first (ultra) high relief proof Britannia ever. An incredible amount of work was put into the creation of this coin....each coin is struck numerous times as just one example. I would call this coin a benchmark coin because it exemplifies the highest degree of coin design and production by one of the oldest continuously operating and highly regarded mints in the world, the Royal Mint. It's anything but your average coin. The mintage is very low and demand in the after market has been significant (though at the moment it may be not strong).

When the 2015 high relief proof Britannia arrives on the market, demand for the 2014 Britannia may drive up again.

Either way, and no matter what someone perceives the value of the 2014 5 oz proof Britannia, I think there's generally little disagreement that the design is a real winner.

16. mmissinglink

For many of us, the orthographic projection lines on top of a frosted silver globe are part of the high appeal of the overall design.

SilverPete, you crack me up all the time. Thanks for making this forum fun! :D

17. milkyspot

milkyspot Member

My concern is, if i pay the 7500 Bill(twice the spotvalue) for the britannia, how fast could i find a buyer again?who has some much cash for collectibles?

If i had so much to spend i would get 10 maples or some some old gold coins.

18. mmissinglink

First of all, no one that I know of is selling the 5 oz silver Britannia for USD $8183.25 (7500). You can get it for significantly less than that.

Secondly, if you are interested only in flipping coins, then it's really bad thinking to even consider the price of a very low mintage proof Britannia that has been sold out for nearly a year.

Next, comparing a very scarce (low mintage), highly sought after (ultra) high relief proof collector 5 oz 2014 Britannia coin to a 1 oz bullion Maple leaf (which is of much, much, much, much inferior quality and minted by the tens of millions) is an absurd thing to do.

Clearly, you put very little to no value into anything but purity and weight of a chunk of silver (which I'm okay with that part). Because you do that, you'd be way overpaying if you buy Maples and old gold coins because the premiums on such coins is too high. Instead, you should be buying only silver shot http://www.apmex.com/product/43773/25-kilo-bag-silver-grain-shot-9999-fine-peoles-803-75-oz or silver or gold blobs (non-denomination, generic, common, bullion bars or rounds) which have the lowest premium around.

Comparing a common low grade bullion silver coin to a 2014 proof Britannia is like comparing this sculpture:

[​IMG]

to this:

[​IMG]

It just doesn't make any sense at all to do it.

19. milkyspot

milkyspot Member

The 7500 is the gold version :)

7500 for 5 ounces silver would be completely bonkers.:p

It has nothing to do with flipping, its just a market-based consideration. How fast can i sell it again and how much value do i lose?

20. milkyspot

milkyspot Member

Like i mentioned i also have "collectors bullion " but not with such high premiums. Should i come into the situation that i have to sell, i wouldnt have so much loss.