How randy are the current Pandies?

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by miniroo, May 23, 2015.

1. miniroo

miniroo Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

What's the general vibe around for the current chinese panda's now that the dust has settled regarding the removal of the weight and fineness?

Personally I don't even notice it as I'm stacking 1/10 coins and the writing is too small to see with the naked eye anyway.
    Most important thing to see to me is the year on the back and the denomination on the front.

If it's true that the 2016 panda's will change in weight then wouldn't this 2015 panda be a true transition issue?
    if panda's were to just continue as they are now, same weight just no writing then that may not add any extra value for the issue
    but if this 2015 panda turns out to be different to both 2014 & 2016, then I think it'll be a winner in the long term.

So I was wondering what the vibe was with panda people? is this issue moving same as last year or has the 2015 panda slowed down a lot?

I reckon the answer will be it's going along like normal but i'm hoping many panda people have left the zoo and less are accumulating speculative stock in the thought they won't be flipping them as usual.

This year could be a key issue for a modern panda, don't think there'll be many key issues in the future so this could be a good one to snap up both in gold & silver.

2. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

3. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

They are still a decent bullion coin in my view.

4. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The less Pandas people buy, the more interested I get :)

5. trozau

trozau Member

If the China Mint go ahead with their transition plan and go full gram weights abandoning the Troy ounce weights in 2016, then the 2015 issue will complete the Troy ounce series collection which began in 1982. If low sales drive the China Mint to revert back in 2016 just like they did for the 2001/2002 issues, the 2015 will be a 1-off issue like the 2002. Either way, the 2015 will be a key issue. Going metric for 2016 will be an excellent entry point for newcomers to the panda series without having a necessity to chase the older Troy ounce year issues. :cool:

6. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

There's a widely-held belief that there will be low mintages -- which is why many people are stocking up on plenty of extras.. :rolleyes:

7. miniroo

Aren't the mintage #s set already?

8. Taz03

Taz03 Member

I have bought some and don't mind them at all, even without the stamping of weight and purity. The way I see it, the stamp did not and have not stop the flooding of fake pandas from the previous years. As long as buying from reputable dealer/s, I think there should be no problem with the purity and weight of the pandas. I weighted a few silver pandas I bought recently and they are of the correct weight. Also, my PMV indicated that are all 99.9% pure.

I also agree with trozau in that it could well be that the 2015 pandas become a key issue down the track.

9. trozau

trozau Member

The China Mint projected maximum mintages are:

2015 Chinese Gold Panda Coins

20 Yuan: 1/20 troy ounce with maximum mintage of 800,000.
    50 Yuan: 1/10 troy ounce with maximum mintage of 800,000.
    100 Yuan: 1/4 troy ounce with maximum mintage of 600,000.
    200 Yuan: 1/2 troy ounce with maximum mintage of 600,000.
    500 Yuan: 1 troy ounce with maximum mintage of 1,000,000.
    2000 Yuan: Proof quality 5 troy ounce with maximum mintage of 5,000.
    10000 Yuan: Proof quality 1 kg with maximum mintage of 500.

2015 Chinese Silver Panda Coins

10 Yuan: 1 troy ounce with maximum mintage of 8,000,000.
    50 Yuan: Proof quality 5 troy ounces with maximum mintage of 50,000.
    300 Yuan: Proof quality 1 kg with maximum mintage of 20,000.

Actual mintages will depend on actual sales. The China Mint mint to demand until maximum mintage set is reached and melt the unsold extra inventory for use in the following year issue.

10. miniroo

Yeah I don't have any more concerns with fake 2015's then any other panda, the lack of a purity mark makes little difference since they already make perfect fake coins.

is there any such thing as a monster box of 1/10 gold panda's?
    do they come in sheets of 10?

I'm going to do my best to save as many 1/1o panda's from being melted

11. goldilox

goldilox Member Silver Stacker

monster box of 1/10 gold pandas... nice

12. MasterID

MasterID Member

the coins' weight may be round down and priced at gold maple premium. 7g of gold panda and 7.78g of gold maple selling at same price.

13. jc888888888

jc888888888 New Member Silver Stacker

1/10th gold panda,s 10 ct sheets .......let me throw out another theory .why wouldn't the 2014 being the last "old school issue" be desirable too ? i have heard some pretty knowledgeable collector/investors stacking large amounts of 1/4oz and 1/10 oz gold 2014 panda,s ??? 1/10th 2014 very hard to find sheets of 10 around

14. miniroo

Yes but I didn't want to mention that, I only have a few 2014's, not enough to be talking of the potential of them.

But if the last is of any potential then the first must have the same potential, maybe more because there's more people starting collections today then there are people finishing collections of yesterday.

If the last & first have potential then surely the one in the middle, the odd one out would be even better, well that's what I think anyway, I guess it's part of the fun with speculating on things like this.

15. miniroo

The sheets don't seem to be very common in any years, which is strange as 10 x 1/10's per sheet is a full oz, a 1oz frac' pack.