Melbourne Mint starts new art-architecture range with Flinders Station

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by AgAuNEWS, May 20, 2015.

1. AgAuNEWS

AgAuNEWS Member

I can't say I know the building, but having looked this is a great representation and the copper insert being fully integrated into the design makes a nice change from an agate insert. A two-ouncer, it's up for $329 AUD http://agaunews.com/?p=19748

[​IMG]
    Source: http://agaunews.com/?p=19748

2. chrissilver

chrissilver Member Silver Stacker

I actually quite like it. Any idea if this will be a series and if so, solely of train station buildings?

3. AgAuNEWS

AgAuNEWS Member

It is a series, but unsure what the subject of the next one will be.

4. Thankq

Thankq Active Member Silver Stacker

I love Melbourne Mint products but their prices are all ludicrous......

5. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

+1

The coin is really nice though.

6. MM_Man

MM_Man New Member

G'day all,

Thanks for the share AgAuNEWS. And thank you to the rest of you for your comments. It is much appreciated.

Intrigued by the pricing comments however. Are you able to elaborate please? Most of our product currently is at the regular ol' mints' issue prices.

Love to hear your feedback.

MM_Man.

7. Andy28

Andy28 Well-Known Member

I think they mean that they feel the price is too high

8. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'm thinking the pricing comment was directed at custom stuff like the 2oz coin. Really nice design though. I'm tempted to ask if you could give us a special discount :)

9. MM_Man

MM_Man New Member

Thanks for that. Its difficult. We are not a huge outfit and custom production is not a cheap process - especially with this coin. When our production costs came in, we tried to look at where the market sat for the Tiffany coins - can't compare in popularity obviously - and make a decision on where our retail needs to be to work for everyone. It is certainly not easy!

Nice try on the discount! I'd love to. You guys supported me when I launched, bought up all of my Star Trek and Hera items etc. I presume a few of you even snagged some of the Ned Kelly coin using the NEDKELLYVIC code too. Unfortunately, my costs are pretty restricting on this one. I'm kinda relying on the small mintage and the quality of the coin - it is CIT produced, after all...

Sorry! Feel free to contact me for any other feedback too, of course. This info really is priceless!

MM_Man

10. Andy28

Andy28 Well-Known Member

It is certainly a nice design. Interesting to see what the theme of the series will be.

11. Thankq

Thankq Active Member Silver Stacker

Hi there,
    Not that long ago the Melbourne Mint only sold a couple silver products, mainly the Melbourne Mint design 1oz silver coins and 1kg Bars. I loved both products, in particular the 1oz silver coin design and would have bought a couple monster boxes had the price been reasonable. But the price was much higher than the same year world recognised and sought after Perth Mint Kookaburras, I remember thinking to myself "how do they justify these prices to themselves?". Although I love Melbourne and believe it to be one of the best cities in the world and a passionate silver stacker, I would love to have some Melbourne Mint products in my stack, I just can't bring myself to pay those prices, not even for 1 coin, I'd feel I was paying tourist prices at an Airport gift shop. For example the Ned kelly proof coin is on the site for around $25 for a 1/10th ounce coin (thats $250 per oz), you have more chance of being kicked to death by a duck than getting me to pay those prices. But maybe thats just me, I can't find the Melbourne Design 1oz coins on the site now and assume someone was prepared to pay the prices the mint was asking?

I think the Melbourne Mint design and product are excellent, and would walk out the door if they were reasonably prices. I would love to see the new flinders street station design on a 1oz coin.

Regards,

Scott

12. MM_Man

MM_Man New Member

G'day Scott,

Valuable feedback there. Thank you. Or... Thankq... as it might be! ;-)

I will say this however. You are confusing the Collector Coin side of things with the Bullion business - it is two seperate entities under the same overall company. This means two websites:
    www.melbourneMint.com.au is bullion.
    www.melbournemintcoins.com.au is me; collector coins.

Of course the difference in pricing per ounce is because of the costs of production between bullion and collector/Proof coinage. But, as you say, each to their own!

I am extremely proud of both of our new collector coins, so your kind words are much appreciated. And... I can give you one tip: If you really do like the Ned Kelly coin, and you're in Australia, our special offer is technically still alive - use the code NEDKELLYVIC at checkout and the coin is only $16.95...