Getting started on silver

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Gros21, May 17, 2015.

1. Gros21

Gros21 New Member

I've read the sticky however a few quick questions can I foow gold/silver on the share market? I thought there was a gold company that's shares are 1/10th of a oz

When selling silver how much do u loose?

Generally do coins go up value other than silver value? Cause some coins have massive premiums.

As a new stacker would I be best if buying 30-50x 1oz bars, a few larger bars, coins ect. Or just go super cheap and buy the mystery packs that are buy backs ect.

Also is there a super easy way to buy it eg transfer $xxxx every week and once it reaches a set amount they send the silver out. Just to save me ordering some every month. I should be able to afford 1-2kg per month.

Storage will be at home in a gun safe (recently upgraded safes)

2. kramer

kramer Member

your gun safe is not safe.

3. Gros21

Gros21 New Member

No it's not. But it's bolted in and will slow them down.
    I can always upgrade at a later date.
    Was thinking of one of those schemes were I don't Actully own the silver, but think that's half the fun.

4. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Rule #1 of Stacking- Don't tell anyone you stack. Especially a public forum. Do not store your metal at home.

When selling you can lose any amount but it'll generally depend on how much you better it for and what you're selling it for.

I'd recommend keeping your stack as generic as possible, makes things much easier to sell when the time comes. Mystery packs will provide you with all kinds of shite.

Have a look into unallocated. You can buy any amount at any time and when you have enough to make it worthwhile converting to phys, you just email or call them and they'll convert it for you for a small premium.

You can follow gold and silver on the share market- COMEX and GLD/SLV. Not the share market per se but closest to what you're looking for.

5. Skyrocket

Skyrocket Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Agree!

It's only ok to tell people here if it's in a SDB.

6. Miloman

Miloman Active Member Silver Stacker

Honestly storing your stack at home is a really dumb thing to do.

Unless you live in some remote part of the world then just don't do it. I've heard of people's safe's that have been concreted in and removed with heavy construction equipment without neighbours raising a peep.

But if you are a physical buyer then forget about unallocated. Private storage options are worth looking into.

7. Skyrocket

Skyrocket Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It's ok for you to do that because you only got 3 ounces. :D

8. Miloman

Miloman Active Member Silver Stacker

It's going to be 4 ounce of silver soon enough, I've already started to save up!

Maybe by the middle of this year, I hope.

9. EB31

EB31 New Member

For those with their stacks all nice and locked up in a SDB or in the hands of some company. Ever consider an economic collapse or any such event go where you had zero access to you silver/gold?

I hear all this "keeping your stack at home is stupid". But I in return say, "Letting someone else control your valuables is stupid-er".

No tinfoil here, I just don't trust banks. At all. I prefer to have my "stash" somewhere I can access it whenever I please....whether natural disaster, market crash, shtf, grid down...or any other of a million scenarios. Not necessarily in my nightstand....but somewhere that I have 100% control, 24/7.

10. miniroo

miniroo Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

yeah that's right, nice first post btw, feels like you wrote that with your eyes closed.
    your a russian spy, aren't you?

I know of a place people stash money and forget, inside sub woofers.
    being a scrapper I bust open many a sub woofer, they have great transformers in 'em, but also people push money into the open tube and the money falls into the box, try it, drops right in, $65 was my best score but once I pulled $11 of 20c coins out.

most of what is said regarding storage is trying to use reverse psychology, which indicates fear, the harder the push to reverse, the deeper the fear (more gold) they have.

Trusting the bank to hold your stack, or even a bullion dealers vault is just like trusting that supermarkets will have food for you if shtf.

If you had a lot of spare cash, like a few million bucks and wanted to prep' for any possible shtf scenario which included hoarding a lot of bullion, your limited with just a few million so can only buy so much, but, what if you open a bullion store?

A beautiful store, and a very impressive vault, then stock it using what cash you have left.
    then when once you build clientele and reputation, you offer to store the public's bullion in "your vault" for a very small fee.
    also offer unallocated bullion, which is just like paper money, a promise, and volia! you've got ship loads of bullion in your vault and awesome cash flow by selling a promise.

How can you beat that shtf plan? you got the key to the vault, with a bit of luck half the customers will be hit by the plague or something and never come back anyway, woohoo!

If you've run out of hiding spots for your silver and have no more sites to dig a hole then switch to gold, once you have the problem with gold you can tell the world to kiss your arse.

11. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Well-Known Member

Yes, just buy the ASX code QAU, it effectively follows the gold price.

Gold companies do not follow the gold price!

Congrats, you just told the world.
    And gun safes are generally toys, they are not a proper TDR cash rated safe.