Has anyone NEVER sold any of their stack?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Gollum, May 3, 2015.

1. Gollum

Gollum New Member

I'm curious if there are any stackers out there that have NEVER sold any of their stack?
    Obviously if your new to stacking this is no biggie (like myself), but is there anyone out there that has been stacking for a considerable period that has a serious "buy and hold at all costs" mentality?

Cheers, Gollum... :)

2. Greg Williams

Greg Williams Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Over time strategies change as do circumstances. Never say never, as they say...

3. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'd say I rotate mine as I refine my strategy, selling some things that I no longer want while still accumulating ounces. I haven't gone backwards yet in terms of ounces.

4. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

I started in 2011, and on a net basis, I didn't sell any ounce.
    Net basis = I sold some various kinds as to limit the variety of the stack, but used (nearly immediately) the fiat to buy more of the kinds I limited to. So just like SilverPete.

About the "buy and hold at all costs" mentality, my thought is this: try to avoid paying too much in the 1st place. Buy when silvers market appears dirty doom and dead, and hold, wherever higher the price goes later (the latter is more a working-together anti Parasites strategy of myself so consider it an option not a rule).
    For those that failed to avoid, there is a market wisdom out there: a succesful speculator sniffes out small losses while they are still small. Put in other words: sell first.
    For those that failed to sell first (or soon enough), there is another wisdom: one that the WooHoo Bull/Bear price instability fanclub hates: hold stubbornly. This fits in aboves anti Parasites strategy, since it makes their buy back in more expensive / shrinks the fluctuations. What the silver market needs is a much more stable price trend. Stability generates confidence, and chews out money from competing markets, it makes the market bigger after you bought and more demand for your chunk.

Btw: in the end, we'll ALWAYS sell the stack, so your questions answer changes with time, and price ( :D )

5. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

if you asked me this question 3 weeks ago the answer would have been yes & ive been buying since early 2010 but i sold 10oz,s (2 x 5 oz coins) a few weeks ago just because i got waaaay more than i paid for them & took a little profit tbh i didnt remember even having them I bought them in a bulk lot years ago ive been overseas for 4 years & looked at what i had it was a pleasant surprise to find 2 coins were worth $1000 ...thanks . i'l sell all my silver for $100 an ounce anyday

6. silverbait

silverbait Active Member Silver Stacker

Im new or about one month old stacker...I bought 10 ounce, 1kg and 100 ounce bullion bars, kooks and Goat 1oz coins. Havent sold any as I want to buy a bit more.

7. Oldsoul

Oldsoul New Member

8. Lovey80

Lovey80 Well-Known Member

The majority of my bullion stack was sold back when silver was $33-34. I'm holding onto the cash until I can buy bulk ounces @ $20 or lower. If I can get round 50's at 3for $20 I may jump back in big time.

What's the largest single order of 50's been bought on the forum in one go? Anyone know?

9. SilverKendo

SilverKendo New Member

I've only been stacking for a year and a half but I've yet to sell any of my stack. I've given a few things away as gifts to friends and family but that's it. Right now the stack is the cornerstone of my portfolio. I am trying to broaden and diversify my portfolio into some income producing assets. I don't plan on selling until we get a nice spike, otherwise I am holding and it might just get passed on to heirs. Either way I'm cool with it. I'm like a PM hoarding dragon :)

10. SwissSilverstar

SwissSilverstar New Member

Have been stacking silver for over 20 years. I have bartered and swapped but never sold anything. Must say that for the first 19 years i only collected junk silver and numismatics from allover the world, the affective value is higher then the economic gain I could make.
    Different thing with the bullion I am stacking for only a few months now, there i have the intention to sell.
    Junk silver I would partly sell if the silverprice would go through the roof...
    Lots of "Ifs" and "whens" as you see ;)

11. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I have been stacking/coin collecting for 15+ years.

I don't buy with the intention of buying low and selling high, or waiting for the spot to rise and then selling.

Pretty much just using it as a bank account, slowly adding to it.

Mostly laziness on my part, too much effort in selling.

I do occasionally swap for a bit of variety, some silver for gold or some junk silver for some shiny new coins etc. but I still have the first silver coin I ever bought...

12. Icon

Icon Member

I traded a lot of mine back in 98-99 for some land. Would do it again for the right deal.

13. Gollum

Gollum New Member

Nice.. sounds like where I am planning on heading....

14. BigAl

BigAl New Member

I am having to sell some of my stack right now unfortunately due to getting shafted financially with my business :(. First time for me and hopefully will be the last but you can see the sale here - you live and learn eh? Will deffo keep more cash next time!

Look at this on eBay:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=281681967610

Collection 128 x 1oz ounce silver bullion coins rounds libertad maple britannia

15. sterling-nz

sterling-nz Well-Known Member

$30 an ozt NZD is not going to have any NZ buyers jumping on this.

16. Can't have been too bad a shafting in a business deal if two grand can bail you out of trouble.
    Last time I got shafted in a business deal I was short many times that amount and that was not the worst loss that I have had by any means.
    Not meaning to make light of your misfortune but hopefully your losses are not quite as bad as they could have been.
    All the best with your sale, I wish I could help but the postage for me would be a deal killer.

17. The Crow

The Crow Member Silver Stacker

The Crow ..................... mmmmm, shiny :)

I've only been seriously stacking for the last year, but I've still got everything I've bought since about '75
    (except for the occassional theft - did lose a small stack to theft - watch out who you choose to sleep with or do favours for)
    and some gifts from time to time.

18. BigAl

BigAl New Member

Can't have been too bad a shafting in a business deal if two grand can bail you out of trouble.
    Last time I got shafted in a business deal I was short many times that amount and that was not the worst loss that I have had by any means.
    Not meaning to make light of your misfortune but hopefully your losses are not quite as bad as they could have been.
    All the best with your sale, I wish I could help but the postage for me would be a deal killer.

Cheers. Then shafting runs deeper than this I'm afraid I need the cash to get by while I work for free for the next 3 months minimum... After that all with be fine and dandy again though

19. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I have never sold any of my stack.... as soon as I sell something, it no longer remains part of my stack. :p

20. havo

havo Member Silver Stacker

nice trade on $200's