Which to avoid and What to Buy?

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Eminem, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Eminem

Eminem New Member

I want to discuss with you guys which world bullion coins to avoid and which ones to buy!

To begin, avoid anything coming from Canada. I personally bought three coins from the Canadian Mint and they all ended up with white spots.
    I will update more soon!

2. Eminem

Eminem New Member

I am new here I thought I could edit the original post. I would also avoid the Somalian Elephants as they all get white spots soon after release. Avoid Silver Pandas 2006-present as well!
    As for stuff you should get. Go for American eagles, libertads, older pandas, and perth mint coins. All my opinion what do you think??

3. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Depends on what you like, what you can afford to spend and what you intend to do with it.

There are so many variables that any list is going to be edited and re-edited so many times that I doubt you will be able to find two people who will agree on it.

4. sterling-nz

sterling-nz Well-Known Member

Agreed:)
    EDIT:Actually disagree.
    EDIT#2 actually back to agreed:)

5. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hey, I was thanking that first post, not the disagreeing edit!

Edit: Ok, I am re-thanking the original post and the second edit post but just for the record, not thanking the first edit.

6. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

7. Northerncoins

Northerncoins New Member Silver Stacker

Pretty much all bullion coins have the chance of developing milk spots etc, its the way bullion blanks are cleaned/processed etc before going through the presses . Plus these companies have stated that they are aware of it but dont plan to change as they are producing "Bullion" not high quality Proof type low mintage type coins.

8. havo

havo Member Silver Stacker

avoid anything with a large premium

9. Northerncoins

Northerncoins New Member Silver Stacker

Although it is possible some smaller mints process their bullion blanks differently then the big mints and don't develop milk spots. eh who knows I guess.

10. havo

havo Member Silver Stacker

won't all silver oxidise?

11. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Depends on your ideology. If you are buying bullion coins for the value of the silver content, then there is no sane reason I can think of to worry about milk spots or condition of the coin.

If you are buying as a way of investing your money and you want to later sell for what you hope to be a bit of profit, then study the market and look for coins that are the most popular. Unpopular coins gain no premiums, and in fact can lose value or worth over time. What's the real worth of a modern bullion coin? The price someone is willing to pay you for it, not the book value or the worth of the coin when you purchased it.

As for specifically what bullion coins I think are good to buy....though I don't own more than just a few, I think Libertad's will see increasing popularity over the upcoming years. I believe the Perth Mint Lunar series has strongly stood the test of time (17 years so far, if my math is good, between series 1 and series 2) and so I think the Lunar series (even including a series 3) will continue to be very popular. It's also hard to deny that the American Silver Eagle is very popular. There is talk about a redesign of the obverse of the ASE and if that ever goes through Congressional or Treasury approval (or whatever agency is required to approve it) then it's almost certain that the ASE will gain attention and even popularity amongst collectors I would think.

12. picturefun

picturefun Member

I have a couple of dozens of Panda BU, ALL after year 2000. NONE of them have ANY milky spots yet!!

So your personal experience is NOT necessarily the guidance for everyone else!

Plus, so far, NZ Mint seems the ONLY Mint whose coins I personally have NOT seen complain about milky spots. Coins from almost ALL other mints have sparsely or frequently developed the milky spots.

Yes, some Perth Mint have ALSO had Milky spots. ALL you need to do is to search this forum

13. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

^ I don't recall if I own any NZ Mint bullion coins off hand, but I do have some of their silver collector coins and the quality is excellent...and no milk spots.

But if you're in the North American continent em, then you may just want to stick with NA bullion coins....or better yet, just blobs (non-denom common bullion) instead of coins and save a little money.

But it depends on your ideology as to why you want to stack silver.

14. Eminem

Eminem New Member

You are very lucky!

15. anonmiss

anonmiss Active Member Silver Stacker

None of my Somalian elephants have a milk spot. I only have two pandas in my personal collection and they too are milk spot free.
    It is luck of the draw with milk spots. It all depends on if you like the coin and are willing to pay a premium.
    And despite RCM milky history their coins still sell so there really is no hard rule to stacking, except the one you make up for yourself. ;)