Just joined the Au Club!

Discussion in 'Gold' started by Gatito Bandito, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

Placed my 1st order. Been a long time in the making, and definitely long overdue.

The straw that broke the camel's back was that eariler I was checking out Apmex for some supplies, which totaled under the $99 to qualify for free shipping. Figured I'd check out some various Ag items to bump me up.. Yet after a long search, couldn't find anything that really interested me -- for a lousy $50+ USD!

Granted, it's Apmex, and it's not exactly *the* place to go for a collector. But, still. Pretty telling.

Plus, I recently finished my taxes, and the hit wasn't anywhere near as bad as I expected.

Figured now is a good a time as any to expand my PM universe.

And GSR be damned. For all I know, it could sit around here for another 5-10 years. Or, climb up to 125 or something.

Besides, it's gotten to the point with Ag that off-site storage is becoming an issue. Can only fit so much until one buckles.

Anyway, I've wanted some for a looong time now. Could have used the cash elsewhere, like old slabbed numi Ag or something. But, even seems like that well is running a bit dry / interest is waning.

Time to move to the good stuff. Or, at least finally get my feet wet. I might not pick up any more until next year, who knows. Not exactly a high-roller, so will definitely have to be a special treat, since I don't have much interest in the smaller fractionals. And I suppose if/when the GSR drops, I might be that much more tempted.

Only 2 x 1/2-oz, but good enough for me. For now. ;)

My journey has begun!

(Stock photos..)

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. sterling-nz

sterling-nz Well-Known Member

Sweetbix.
    It is still amazing to see a little gold coin sitting next to the same value of silver.
    I am betting you will be very happy when they arrive and feel them in hand.

3. silverprepper999

silverprepper999 New Member

Congratulations! I also have that 1/2 kangaroo 2015, it is beautiful! :)

4. Gatito Bandito

It will be a long wait, indeed.. Will be tracking that package like a hawk, LOL.

And the comparative value of Ag is certainly a factor, due to the compact nature. Great for storage. Yet, also think of all that Ag you could get with the same $$..

Then again, after a while, how much silver does one "need"? How many cast Southern Cross 10-oz'ers, for example, are sufficient? For somebody like me, more collector than stacker, quite content with just one or two of something, which frees up cash for a larger variety & diversification. You're not going to see me with tubes of same-year ASE's.

So, at some point, once you already have this type, that type, you run out of things to buy that you really like. Dangerous place, because then you might start getting closer to scraping the bottom of the barrel, and spending money on things that don't excite you. I honestly couldn't find any Ag piece for $50+ USD that would have bumped me up to free shipping.. Bit of a wake-up call.

Obviously will continue to pick up various Ag categories, like vintage cast/poured bars, old slabbed numi world coins, etc., as they arise & budget allows. And also a bit of new-year stuff as it trickles out. But focus is now shifting once again, as I really don't need more than one British trade dollar, for instance. (Understand why some would collect various years & mint marks -- just not for me, though.)

Actually really excited to be picking up common current-year bullion again! In Au, this time, though.. :D

Yep, I think it's one of the better recent designs. At least from photos & videos, they did a great job with it. Can't imagine it not being at least as cool, in hand.

As for the Krug, I've wanted one of these for years. Didn't know much about the huge variety way back when, but it was the 1st modern Au coin that jumped out at me & screamed "You gotta buy me someday!" Heh.

Due to the nominal price of these things, coupled with my limited budget, have to be pretty picky with which ones I get.. Especially so when compared to Ag, which I might let some aspects of some "slide" every now & then. With Au, I gotta make these count.

Good news is, some of these common bullion coins look awesome in comparison to their silver brethren! One on my list is the Philharmonic.. Honestly don't remember the last time I got all excited over the possibility of picking up a Phil! :lol: Perhaps ho-hum to some of you seasoned vets, but I think the Au version looks pretty hot, though. Need to get one at some point.

And obviously once I get all the common modern bullion out of my system, which will take a while, for sure.. I'm guessing I'll start gravitating towards the 1-oz'ers, the proofs, older coins, slabbed, etc. Just a natural progression for some.

But until then, very happy & excited with just the run-of-the-mill modern stuff in 1/2-oz.

Anyway, is it wrong that I'm already planning my next Au order? LOL

Budget is going to have to catch up, first. Won't be happening for a while, maybe later this year, or at least next. Definitely bigger $$ hits to the wallet on this side of the PM pool..

Okay, enough rambling. Looking foward to the 1st goldies!

5. boneyard

boneyard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Well done.

enjoy the fondling.

6. silverprepper999

silverprepper999 New Member

You are right about philharmonics- Silver ones, hm... dont like them. But gold one, they are very nice. I have a 1/4 Maple leaf 2015, with radial lines, iz is a beauty too! :)

7. Snoopy

Snoopy Member

Sweet, congrats.

8. Gatito Bandito

Got 'em in today!

Pretty damn amazing.

That's it: I'm trading in all my Ag for Au.. :D

Kidding about the 2nd part. But definitely closer to finally scaling back the Ag purchases as items are crossed off the shopping list. Perhaps let the budget catch up a bit, and maybe focus that much more on Au, in due time.

Very powerful stuff, that there gold. Love the brilliance, and the new (to me) designs.

Probably prefer the hue of 24K vs 22K, but happy with both.

The Krug is definitely cool, and the Roo is pretty hawt!

When you're at this size diameter, every mm counts.. 1/2-oz is a good size, and would rather save up for one than to pick up a 1/4 here, a 1/4 there.

Can only imagine how awesome these are at 1-oz+! I'll get there one day.

Still adjusting to the compact nature of wealth.. Weird to think of an Au 1/2-oz is about the same as an Ag 1kg, these days.

Bit of a leap to make -- even if Au spot were at, say, $700-$1K USD. Sure I'll quickly continue to warm up that much more, though, heh.

If anybody reading this sub-forum has been on the fence, definitely make that jump someday. Very much worth it.

Two big thumbs-up! :cool:

9. sterling-nz

sterling-nz Well-Known Member

The small size compared to a similar value in silver is AMAZING.
    Enjoy you new toys:)

10. bax

bax New Member

The other most important thing about the AU coins, is that they are so easy to carry and store, not like the heavy AG bars...etc

Enjoy, enjoy, and keep collecting, its the only thing left, to keep, of true value.

Of course the prices fluctuate, they do go up and down, but the coins do not wear out, and can never be physically devalued, they will always be AU..

11. BenNg

BenNg New Member

I have been following precious metal prices since 1986; and buy 1-gram, 1/10 oz here and there.

I am no expert or a speculator. Is just my personal oppinion and probably does not mean anything. There has been a lot of news regarding Russia and China Central Bank accumulating gold, especially Russia and news concerning where the price of gold is heading. Me as a gold bug, unfortunately the prices will keep falling up to the time when Central Bank of Russia and China stop their purchases and have to sell them to maintain economic vatility. Until the Central Banks stop buying and unload all thier gold there may not be a chance to see gold back to $2,000 level. They will depress the prices all the way to below $500/oz by buying physical. WHY! There is no chance free market enterprise will lose out, the price of gold is in the paper gold trading; there are more paper gold traded in a day than there are physical gold. As long as the Central Bank keep buying - Wall Street will keep selling regardless of the amount they buy. Gold is just another form of USD; highly leverage. One can have USD 15,000 in an account now to sell SHORT up to $ 100,000 worth of gold and is highly leverage. On the contrary JP Morgan is in a SHORT position on precious metals. Recent acquisition of Precious Metals is to maintain a certain ratio (25% physical) to leverage their position.