Tubes/box of mixed dates

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Sonic, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Sonic

Sonic New Member

I've thought about seeking out older coins hoping the premium would rise faster. Right now you can buy a 2003 ASE for the same price as a 2015 on APMEX at least, the premiums start to rise significantly beyond that point. I don't plan to mix dates in individual tubes. The issue comes from mixing the tubes in the eventual monster box. I don't plan to have a whole monster box of a specific date because I will be buying one tube at a time for now. As time goes on I will purchase the oldest tube I can that feels like a good price to me, so the end result will be pretty mixed up. Would people be willing to pay extra for a monster box of assorted dates, or would they maybe not be interested in that idea at all? If I want to make the most of my future premiums by going this route, would I want to sell the tubes individually?

2. Ouija

Ouija New Member

For some reason, an ASE seems to gain a bit more premium value with each passing year. I don't know why someone stacking bullion would care about the date but there may be some stackers who want older coins to complete a collection, or fill out a monster box with a single date.

I think your monster box will indeed be more valuable as a mixed lot. In the future, some dates will command a higher price than others. Unfortunately, we don't know which dates will be more valuable, so it makes sense to spread your dates out as much as is practical.

I would not bother with the older Eagles, which (in my opinion) are significantly more expensive than they should be.

3. Sonic

Sonic New Member

It may or may not pay off but if I can buy a tube of ASEs that are 10+ years old for the same price as 2015, it only makes sense to me to choose the older ones.

4. GreyGhost

GreyGhost New Member

totally agree