Mongolian Wildlife Protection Series Dead?

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by chicken12, Mar 25, 2015.

1. chicken12

chicken12 Member

Whats every ones thoughts on this series, dead???

New coin to be released next month is Campbell's Hamster!!!

2. db23

db23 Member

I don't think it's dead, but the days of it being a $300-400 coin out the gate seem to be over.

3. JoeFromNorthCarolina

JoeFromNorthCarolina New Member

Folks selling the 1st coin in the series are still getting $700 to $1,000 for the gulo gulo according to what i am seeing. There is someone selling the Gulo Gulo from China which is not fetching much for obvious reasons. I think this Hamster one ( at least by the pics ) seems to compare to the Gulo Gulo as far as the high relief. I bought one for $235.40 which is not to bad of a price. Looking forward to receiving it.
    What people mean by "dead series" means they can't flip them for huge amounts of money.. Nothing else.

4. mtforpar

mtforpar Member

Large amounts of fakes from China cannot help a series. As well, super high price tags right out of the gate hurt as well. If the coin was issued @ $125 interest would be there and build over time. Still plenty of profit to be made and room for appreciation. Buying at $400 just kills or at a minimum severely hurts the potential investment returns while increasing the chance that the coin will drop. Once someone buys a $400 coin and has it plummet to the $100s their appetite for future releases diminishes. Once diminished it hard for the series to climb that mountain again.

5. JoeFromNorthCarolina

No one seems to be complaining on the Gulo Gulo coming from China from this seller according to the feedback, Also the fakes from China do not seem to bother the pandas..lol.. Still the hottest coins around... The real shame of numismatics happened for 2 reasons...1. flipping..2. ebay...

6. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

I think that's an important part of your post..

Seems like many mints & dealers these days are oftentimes sucking up all the potential after-market profit, themselves, leaving little to nothing but risk for the end-customer / bag-holder.

Not a very good practice in the long-run, if you ask me..

7. Elkslayer132

Elkslayer132 New Member

I totally agree with you my buying has been about 75% less because of exactly that.

8. JoeFromNorthCarolina

Buy the coin because you love it. Who cares what the price is as long as your willing to pay it. If your flipping the coin, Pick it up for the cheapest you can get it and make a profit.

9. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

I don't flip much. Overwhelming majority of my purchases are for (hopefully) loooong-term collection. Perhaps to be passed down to the next generation.

However, I won't pay just any price, even for the coins I want / really like. I'll pass if the price isn't right.. Either keep an eye out for one more reasonable, or simply do without.

Among other reasons, price is important because my shopping list is always much bigger than the Ag budget, at any given time.

In other words, that money can & will easily be utilized elsewhere, instead. And I don't think I'm alone in that.

Another reason? Because I see what can happen if one over-pays.. Recently I picked up on eBay an old slabbed numismatic that somebody (not sure if the owner before me) paid a good 30%+ higher -- per an auction that took place *years ago*!

Certainly somebody could have gotten a much better return during that time with something else, no?

Heck, one could probably argue that maybe even *I* over-paid by about 10%.. :lol:

But it is a cool one with pretty unique toning.. and I'm sure I'll enjoy it, just as the previous owner(s) did.

However, still doesn't negate the fact that they got their butt handed to them on that. Price does matter!

10. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I will not look at the price tag if I am multi millionaire (USD Currency or stronger currency NOT Rupiah).

Otherwise I will buy at good price and potentially the price will not go further down to another 40% or no buyer at all in case I need some money.