US dollar

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Staz, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Staz

Staz Member

Are sellers on this site finding it harder to find buyers since the surge in the US dollar for smaller items and stacks?

2. fishtaco

fishtaco Active Member Silver Stacker

I am a small time (amount) buyer with silver and i have plenty of sellers on SS to choose from who sell me silver at reasonable prices so i am buying?

3 odd years ago when I started buying US$ for a USA trip from Australia i was getting $1.08c US for one $AU, great i actually did 2 trips to the USA in that time but now i would be lucky to get $0.73cUs for 1 $AU, I am however happy to pay $24+ AU per ounce because everything is relevant to my $AU, I dont live my life to the value of the US$ in fact I ignore it as its irrelevant to me unless I intend spending US$,s :)

3. phrenzy

phrenzy In Memoriam - July 2017 Silver Stacker

It certainly makes the perceived value change a little. If the silver price in USD is down $2 but up $1 in aud then you have to feel that a little.

Stackers more than almost anyone see the currency wars as really having an effect. The dollar drops some fraction of a cent and you wipe billions off the value of the economy and off of the value of the savings if everyone who bothered to be responsible and save.

4. fishtaco

But from a small time buyers point of view its all irrelevant! The average US per hour income is still way way less than the average AU per hour income even at today's exchange rates including silver per oz prices being in US$ or not!

5. Staz

Staz Member

Thanks for the input. Australian dollar seems similar to Canadian dollar in that regard.
    The US is a massive country and income really varies from state to state.

6. phrenzy

phrenzy In Memoriam - July 2017 Silver Stacker

Yeah but paying more one month than you did last month when you know some guy overseas is paying less this month than last is a little gauling. It's like people who say they don't care what the price is in "worthless fiat" they only count ounces. Well that's fine but they apparently aren't counting the number of ounces they can buy at any given time because that's determined by the spot price in whatever currency you make your living in.

7. fishtaco

Personally I really only judge every things worth in Pounds Sterling price deep down! Because 1 pound is still worth more than 1 of any other currency,possibly why I ignore the US$ when talking AU $,s?

8. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

lol

9. fishtaco

History speaks! when i was a child Living in Blighty everyone called a 10 Bob note (half a pound note) "a Dollar" so whats changed? Nothing :)