which precious metals to buy

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by geuze, Mar 13, 2015.

1. geuze

geuze New Member

If you want to invest some of your money in precious metals, which ones should you buy?
    Suppose you have $5000: do you buy gold, silver or palladium. If you buy all of them, would you buy more gold, silver or palladium?

2. phrenzy

phrenzy In Memoriam - July 2017 Silver Stacker

Depends on what you think about the mid term future of the economy is. If you think things will be ok generally then palladium, it's running out and we're consuming it fast.

If you think the economy is going to fall over due to structural issues then go silver. It's got the most upside potential in that case.

If you think that world will fall into chaos because of political turmoil and general mass confusion then buy gold. It's what everyone is betting the world will revert to when things get crazy.

Platinum? That's tricky. If you like auto sales and jewelry production then maybe. It's odd that it's cheaper than gold at the moment and there are supply issues so you could argue it's cheap.

It also gets harder if your not in the United states since you have to guess whether the metal your buying will fall faster or slower than your local currency. i.e gold is $1155USD/$1509AUD now but it could be down $50US but be up $50 AUD in a month or the other way around so have a think about your local situation. If your in the states though it's much easier. Spend 20% of your capital every time the price of the metals you've chosen dip 5% or 10%.

$5k is enough to get a little of everything but I would go silver gold palladium platinum in that order but just go with whatever is cheap. If you see something cool offered at spot or something you like, grab it, all the metals are cheap now. Might get cheaper but are already pretty cheap.

3. raven

raven Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Silver is an absolute bargain.
    Then gold.

4k on fine silver, and 1/2 oz gold coin or 20grm bar.
    Make the silver 10 oz bars, Perth mint or Scottsdale and a roll of Perth mint crocadiles, should be a good start.

4. boston

boston Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Whilst palladium may go up, it is not as widely accepted by the general public as gold or silver.

5. Ronnie 666

Ronnie 666 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

That is complete and utter BS - The ignorance on this forum in PGM metals is astounding. If no one wants or accepts Palladium go and prove that by finding a seller just above spot. Anyone who has palladium is holding on for dear life. 1.2 million oz defect this year (in a 4 million oz market) and rising ?? Clearly no one wants it. I spoke to a dealer yesterday and asked if he had seen Pd in the second hand market - His reply "you wish" Anyone wants to sell bullion quality Pd at $50 over spot - contact me.

6. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Opposite in Melbourne , the only people who buy are jewellers
    Different markets

7. Ronnie 666

Ok if that is true its a great opportunity for those in Victoria to sell me Pd Bullion - send me a PM I am waiting.

8. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yeah, I'll be in on that too only platinum..or any Pd that Ronnie doesn't want !! :cool:

9. f40

f40 Member

I think that's a fair comment. 95% of the general public wouldn't know what an ounce of silver is worth. What chance would they have of knowing what an ounce of palladium is worth?

The keyword here is general public. Not precious metals enthusiasts or bullion dealers.

10. clear

clear Well-Known Member

Ronnie & Clawhammer at that price if there is any space and if you don't mind can I have 3oz.

11. raven

raven Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Well, there it is geuze.
    Better get some palladium at least if you're gonna hang around here mate.
    sounds like you will be able to turn $1500 into 3 grand just like that !

12. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Well-Known Member

That's only $19 under what you can buy it for from Australian dealers (exc GST)
    Current spot is US$790 = AU$1034
    PB's price is $1103 for a 1oz B&C bar (exc GST of course)
    It's the GST component of Palladium that sucks.

13. Ronnie 666

GST does suck so its best to buy from a private seller. The premium on PD is high. That is why it is hard to find. So to repeat anyone wanting to sell some PD in bullion quality bars or coins for $50 over spot let me know. The last time I bought Pd on SS from a private seller (not that long ago) it was AU$700 per PAMP bar. I think its done a little better than your average Ag or Au stacks ?
    Further, the shortage has yet to bite ...... watch this space

14. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'll have what's left over... Palladium or Platinum please. :D

In answer to the Ops question, Id go for silver.

A mix of 10oz and Kilo Perth Mint bars. :)

15. boston

boston Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Sometimes, I really do wonder at the quality and manners of some of the posts at times..... perhaps I should just do what an ever increasing number of members do, and just not post anything of substance.

16. Ronnie 666

It is not about manners it's about fact. If you express an opinion as if it were fact to advise newbies to invest in a particular metal and avoid others - that is not on. I have heard this nonsense on SS for years now how Pd and Pt are not numismatic metals and should be avoided. I heard that at Pd $600, Pd $700, & Pd 800. Fortunately I did not listen to opinion on SS but started to email and discuss this with Rick Rule. We discussed the issues of Pd which convinced me to buy at every downturn. Am I happy I did - yes clearly. The price speaks loudly....
    This is not about manners it's about sound advice and direction.

17. aleks

aleks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Whilst I would have worded it differently I don't see a problem with the gist of what Boston is saying. The VOLUME of Palladium traded is significantly lower and isn't as WIDELY traded compared to gold and silver, tell me this isn't the case for markets in general and a physical/OTC/face to face trade. This does not invalidate what ever speculative aspect of Palladium there might be or you might perceive :p and is a different issue. I think it is a valid point to bring up.

18. Ronnie 666

I accept I probably overreacted and this is clearly due to the constant PGM bashing made by several people who have never invested in PGMs. Popular or not, Pd is the strongest performing PM these past years. The issue is clearly supply and demand and supply is down and demand up so its a no brainer. The manipulation is clearly not as intense as the other PM and I believe that is due to supply issues. Also as clearly illustrated by Holdfast some years ago you cannot shove a paper dirrivitive up your car exhaust and expect it to act as a cat converter.

My take is that new stackers should not ignore the PGMs as they have far greater supply issues than gold and silver. I don't suggest for a minute that your stack must be only PGMs but 5-10% PGMs allocation, maybe weighted to Pd is good plan.

I am sorry if I ruffled a few feathers but I think it's time we stop the BS quoting some Guru that PGMs should not be bought as they are not monetary metals. Most of those comments have passed their use by date.

19. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

See Boston, Ronnie didn't mean anything personally, and he did apologise. He just needs someone to throw hand grenades at him for the rest of his life. :lol:

I for one value your posts and contributions.

20. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

I want some too. Platinum , Palladium even your gold coins/bars doesn't matter if it damaged. ;)

My ingots 1 oz does spell my name. CHIP