Milkspotting on Perth Mint 2015 kilo Kookaburra

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by SpacePete, Dec 14, 2014.

1. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

2. JoeFromNorthCarolina

JoeFromNorthCarolina New Member

You did a great job removing the milk spot(s). I saw nothing when you were finished.

3. Gatito Bandito

Not my video.

If I had that kind of cash, I wouldn't exactly be completing the entire S2 Lunar set. :lol:

Nor would I use a jeweler's cloth on my coins..

4. JoeFromNorthCarolina

JoeFromNorthCarolina New Member

5. chrissilver

chrissilver Member Silver Stacker

Thanks for posting. This is a big big shame and disappointment. Hopefully it's just a one off and you were unlucky enough to get one like this. Hopefully they don't all develop spots.

6. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

yeah, I'd say that thing is pretty much destroyed. I'd rather deal with milkspots vs. hairline scratches from scubbing. I mean, seriously, what was he thinking??? That coins can no longer be graded! Period, end of story.

7. barsenault

8. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

But there seems to be no visible scratches on that coin after he is done...maybe milk spots aren't as much of a problem as they are made out to be after all.

I'm not saying I'd do that, just saying that it appears as if the coin has no visible scratches in that spot that was rubbed.

9. barsenault

Oh, they are there, trust me. I'd be willing to put money on it. :D They may be ever so fine, but they are there. And on a collectible like that, I think it wasn't such a bright idea. Just say'n. At least they'll graded a coin with spot, not so much a coin that was cleaned.

10. mtforpar

mtforpar Member

I tried it on a coin before and I was pretty impressed with the results. Just looking with the naked eye the shiny areas were perfect and the spot removed. I think it was a Kangaroo and the spots were on the queen. I would probably do it again as I suppose for me I would rather have a coin that is nice to look at while I have it versus looking a milk spot. It does likely kill any grading potential but having milk spotty coins is worse for me.

11. Gatito Bandito

Yeah, it's a tough trade-off.. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

It might now look pretty to the naked eye, but I don't think what he did is fair to any subsequent owners, though. Because you know if that ever gets sent off to be graded, it will not be getting a numerical grade.

And for those of us aware, oftentimes problem coins can sit out there for a long time -- and once they do sell, it will never reach its potential in pricing.

I don't do non-numerical slabbed.. And I cringe when I come across a really cool old coin, only to see that it's been cleaned or polished somehow. My interest instantly evaporates.

But, there is a small segment of buyers who don't mind, at least in some cases.. Just that they won't be bidding it up to where it otherwise could have been.

Odds are, a slightly milk-spotted one (like his) with a numerical grade would fetch much higher prices.

Honestly, decades down the road, with sufficient toning, I don't think most cases of moderate spotting will be an issue by that point.

EDIT: I do have one example of non-numerical slabbed -- but I make exception for old coins sitting at the bottom of the ocean for over 200 years. :D

12. barsenault

Spot on in your analysis. I agree about the grading piece. It would fetch much higher prices even with spots. And not to mention, there are folks who try to 'pawn off' a cleaned coin as though it was in pristine condition, never mentioning that it was cleaned...until it gets to the grading company. d'oh. No thanks. I stick by my guns, that was a stupid move on his part. Now if he never plans on selling it, or definitely plans on highlighting that it was cleaned, then okay, that is a different ball game...but a betcha if you ever see this for sale, there will be no mention of a cleaning service used on the coin.

13. Gatito Bandito

And as long as he plans on out-living the coin, I have no issue with the bolded.. :p

14. Ronnie 666

Ronnie 666 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I agree that a few spots on a coin is far better than a scratched coin. I cannot believe there are no scratches. Many of the s2 ox had small spots on the coins especially on the queen. I would rather buy one with a few spots than a shiny scratched coin. I have also seen coins in sealed rolls which have a tiny scratch or two directly from PM. These single scratches due to poor mint quality control are also acceptable. These coins will be graded. The grading company will reject coins with tiny fine scratches of a jewellery cloth every time.

15. GreyGhost

GreyGhost New Member

What happened to Perth Mint on this? They showed all kinds of concern at first then disappeared?

16. Ronnie 666

As expected

17. mtforpar

mtforpar Member

My motives were just to determine whether it worked or not. To the naked eye I could not see any surface scratches on the shiny queen. It looked brand new as issued from the mint to my untrained eye.

Of course it is unethical to represent something it is not. That is without question.

18. Ronnie 666

can you please post some good resolution pictures and when you take them shine a torch or light on the coin at an angle (indirect lighting). That usually shows up scratches. Thanks

19. Ronnie 666

Indirect lighting helps
    This is a 1/2 kg with spots - hard to see in direct light obvious on indirect light
    Similar issue with fine scratches

[​IMG]

20. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker