Small time stacker lost direction?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by fishtaco, Mar 7, 2015.

1. fishtaco

fishtaco Active Member Silver Stacker

OK I only buy small and dont mind paying higher premiums because i am buying so small but i dont seem to have any direction in my buys lately and what i am buying! lol

So far since I first started started in October i have (all 1oz)
    kooks 2007 to 2015
    wedged tailed eagles
    Salty crocs
    Koala 2007 to 2015
    ASE 2001-2015
    Maples 2013 to 2015 Plus the Birds
    Britannia's 2014 to 2015
    SBSS rounds (most as some I dont like/get)
    1 Philharmonic 2011 (I hate)
    Some old Perth Mint silver tokens x 8
    Various generic rounds and novelty silver like 1 oz silver dice and arrow head
    10 Jm bars 10 southern cross bars and 5 prospector bars along with new purchase of southern cross blob and XAG low premium bar.

I also buy a 1 1/10 gold Kanga a month.

Should I change my direction of buying anything 1oz silver that takes my fancy? because i may just be spending more than i need to for less silver?

I have very slight OCD where everything has to match or be in an even number which leads me to ill thought out buys just to chase a match or date!

I need experienced stacker advise because i am in it for the long run and dont intend selling for at least 15 years.

2. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

Just remember that having bits and pieces can be fun but a pain in the arse if you have to list them individually when it comes time to sell.
    My view only, with the exception of the novelty rounds I don't see a problem in your list. On selling you can list each in sets.
    And I really like the JM bars, I don't think I have any yet but I like them.

3. fishtaco

I dont think I am attached to anything yet?

I am thinking i may as well just buy 1oz blobs cheaper like the southern cross or XAG?

I like to buy at least once a week and enjoy Buzzing purchases on here on the weekend although i know my PM dealer is usually cheaper if not so diverse?

Its hard to break into the higher initial cost barrier and jump into 10oz and above but now my stack is into the 10,s of ounces this seems the way i should go, 10 oz and above?

4. Silver Soul

Silver Soul Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You clearly don't have a plan. Like all long term investments you need one. Asking questions from the stackers forum is ok ... But only to confirm small amounts of information that you have gained from your own / plan, & research.

Asking if you have lost Direction as a stacker! No one can truly answer that for you as we are all unique, as precious metal stackers.
    Make a plan & stick to it, tweak it to your own tastes as the years roll on past. Good luck ;)

5. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

I also reckon stick to 10oz or above bars until you get a set amount as the base for your stack. Then play with the coins. But that is just me and reckon other coin lovers will differ. I'm sure the premium support that some coins offer when prices dip will provide justification to the coin strategy but I think its best to get a base that is easy to sell if required.

6. fishtaco

Its the " bits & pieces" that perhaps prompted me to post this in the first place! lol and yes its a pain in the arse because i have empty clam shells with COA,s that i dont really want but know i must keep. dont get me started on the fractional gold lol I have a few proofs and the sizes just dont match bullion sizes for my OCD lol

7. fishtaco

Appreciate the advise because i am so new to stacking. I am 53 years old with no kids and no more mortgage plus i gave up a $200+ per week smoking habit so silver V cigarettes purchase seems a no brainer to me at the moment and the wife is happy for me to continue. I have never been a collector of anything and although i pay premiums for silver i class its value at dealer buy back price so cant see me ever flipping anything so should i just buy low premium? I know you cant answer for me as everyone is individual but advise is always taken in the old grey matter and stored. :)

8. Silver Soul

Silver Soul Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Naphthalene Man for me has the right choice for a new stacker to silver! But balance your hand with Gold or Numi's.... "Balance' your stack. Congrats on giving up the sig's .... I did the same thing 9 years ago.

9. fishtaco

So you think 10 oz would be the go? Being new i am a bit apprehensiveness to lash out on 10ozers because it sort of limits my enjoyment of purchase because it will need to be less frequent than the 1 ozers. I have been looking at the Scottsdale 100g bars which is well within my weekly buy scope. Perhaps its a gradual step to higher weights?

I will forever now buy an every year kook Koala ASE Maple and Britannia regardless my plight because before October 2014 i didnt even know they were available each year. :)

10. Lunardragon

Lunardragon Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

This is very hard Oz .... Been trying almost a year ha ha ha

11. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If you have OCD, change your paradigm. You've given up smoking which means you can do anything. First I understand that there is an ANDA show in Perth this weekend. Go. There is also a Stackeratti meet. Go. Talk to the others. Don't stack so much crap. Stick to one model, all Perth Mint, or all Southern Cross, or all ASE. Get your buzz from volume, not variety. Drive on the right hand side of the road!

12. Niveka

Niveka New Member

Good advice from sammy. My strategy is about a 50/50 split between ASE's and 10oz bars. I think both will be easy to unload when I need to. I'm in the US so the ASE's make sense for me, maybe something else for other locations.

13. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

don't listen to them you've got a great collection of silver

what matters is what you pay, not what you buy

if you got the early year koalas at a reasonable premium to spot you've done very well on those.

some of the kooks are worth a bit as well - depends if you paid big premiums to get them or not

14. Niveka

Niveka New Member

Depends on your exit strategy. I know I can call APMEX and unload my ASE's and 10oz bars in a matter of minutes. I think I would not have that option with a more diverse stack. All depends on how you plan to exit.

As a mental exercise, pretend you need to exit today and figure out how you would go about doing it. If it feels right to you then you are on the right track. If it feels problematic then you may want to adjust your strategy.

15. raven

raven Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

This may help for ocd :
    per year 2 x kilo bars
    60 x 1 ounce rounds
    60 x 1 ounce bars
    4 x 10 bars
    8 x 5 ounce bars
    10 x 2 ounce
    All nice and neat, and when complete, start again !
    And in between this stacking, still acquire the "random" purchases from the forum
    :)

16. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

I can pretty much do the same with any of the dealers I know as long as I'm prepared to sell for the same price you'd get for your ase's and 10oz bars no matter what I'm selling.

You will NEVER have a problem selling pure silver in any form for spot.

17. Niveka

Niveka New Member

I'm curious on that comment only because that's exactly what I thought before I started looking into it. I'm in one of the biggest cities on the east coast of the US and could not find any LCS's, I only found "cash for gold" places that were a rip-off. That leaves online for me and for that I stick with items the online dealers regularly list on their "we want" list.

Bottom line, there is nothing wrong with any strategy as long as it woks for you. The only real mistake you can make is to not at least give some thought to your exit options.

18. SilverKendo

SilverKendo New Member

I have a bit of OCD but also impulse control when buying so it is a constant battle. This is how I deal with it... I focus my silver stack around 5 different coins; ASE, maples, Libertads, Philharmonics and Britannias. I focus on groups of 5 at a time. I'll either order five in an order or if I have less cash because of other obligations I will buy one at a time til I reach five then jump to the next one. This makes keeping records easy for me, helps dollar cost average down and makes the spread sheet tidy looking. Here are a few problems I've hit; I tend to like rare coins and if they don't cost much I have a hard time not buying (I've bought some fractional Libertads for a huge premium over spot but still less than a good burger). This is also a catch for me when I need a certain dollar amount for shipping; I tend to throw a fractional coin in to reach the $100 limit. Seminumi coins also become an issue for me. I tend to get attached to numi and semi numi because they are cool but bad for investment purposes because I don't want to sell them. I had ordered some Britannias and one of them turned out to be a mule. Awesome! Kept it in the stack but it kept bugging me because it isn't bullion any more but a numi piece. I finally broke down, bought a replacement for it and put that in my numi collection. I've also recieved some lunar privy Britannias i stead of regular ones. Not a huge problem but my OCD kicks in a little.

One area I allow myself more freedom is gold. If I can find a decent fractional coin at or below spot I'll jump on it. Gold is more precious to me so I am more willing to deal with out of place stuff. This allows me more freedom to buy different things and keep the impulse buy collector side of me happy.

19. Kael

Kael New Member Silver Stacker

Hi Fishtaco

Hi to all the regulars, I always read but very rarely comment.

OCD............... I understand.

Unfortunately it hurts my pocket. I cannot change it, its who it am. I will try to explain.

It doesn't matter what I do in life, I have to end/start/have/use/choose/NEED an odd number!
    Did I mention NEED....
    I have no problem with even numbers if there is no option, TV, Radio volumes when its in 2,4,6,8,10, etc.....

I cannot explain it, it just hurts. It just is.

Now to silver and Gold....

I am very fortunate that I pretty much only buy Kilos(I dont have that many) and or I buy random tubes of......cheapest/something that I don't yet have.

My problem comes when I buy something from say ....Bullion Dealer in ... City and I want/can afford 15oz Ag and 1/4oz AU. Thats fine as long as the $ are a odd number or I have to order something like 15oz on one order and ... on the second order. Or 9oz on one and 11oz on the other literally seconds apart.
    I know its stupid, yes I can talk about it, doesn't make it any easier.

OCD
    Driving up the cost of silver to special people....

Cheers all

Kael

20. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Onyer Kael, I broke the even volume numbers by sticking to prime numbers, 1,2,3,5,7,11,13,17,19....... Gives you something to extrapolate during the adds.