Seeing into the future

Discussion in 'Silver' started by JohnnyCottonmouth, Feb 24, 2015.

1. JohnnyCottonmouth

JohnnyCottonmouth New Member

So as some of you may know I'm new to the scene, just starting to get my toes wet with the sweet nectar that is silver, and I'm trying to come up with a detailed plan of sorts. Trying to decide which route Id like and want to pursue with conviction and which one I'm doing on the side as back up/ just in case. So first off, I like it all. If I can get a good deal on ANY silver (be it bars, gen. rounds, conf. coins, ect.) I'll most likely take it. That being said, one avenue I've been meditating on is trying to figure out what is out NOW or soon to come out, and what are the chances of a large return in the future on it. For example: I know people that obtained multiple years of the lunar series are potentially doing quite well now with the demand for years like the tiger and dragon, ect. (Side note: I'm a year of the rabbit, keeping an eye out for one just for personal, anything taurus too.) and I also know anyone that got in good on the wedge tailed eagles are sitting pretty now too.

So my question is, and I hope this thread last a while as it gets updated with new ideas, what does the stacker community see as being a future 'gold mine' in the silver/numi market? Should I keep with trying to make a koala set? Kooks? These 1 1/4oz canadien Buffaloes are pretty cool too.

Let's say I'm going to save up till my bday in April/March and as a present to myself I'm going to buy 2 rolls, one to keep and one to keep till the right time/ buyer comes. What should I look into getting?

2. Liquid

Liquid New Member

PERTH MINT 2015 KOOKABURRA SILVER COIN is a good start IMO

3. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I wouldn't try to build sets of coins, they have a limited market, best to pick a couple of the key coins in a series and load up on them.

Don't forget that 1oz are not always the best earners, 1/2, 2 and 5oz are usually more limited in mintages and every now and then someone decides to build a set of 2oz coins or get one in each size for a particular year.

Just don't go all-in on one coin, there are lots on the market and most fall a bit flat after the hype dies down. If you can get a hyped coin at issue price, wait till they sell out and put it straight up on eBay, don't wait for prices to continue, I reckon most of the money is made in the first week after the coin has sold out at the mint.

And never gamble more than you can afford to lose.

4. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Sets of gold sovereigns, by monarch and mint. Collect every one, in good order, and you'll have a very successful retirement.

5. JohnnyCottonmouth

I like the kookaburras and kolas a lot and have a few of each. I also like the Fuji rounds too. But my only problem with those is I'm afraid or wary of handling them to much, I love how shiney they are though. I'm also a big fan of any hand poured bars, I like the mat look and the feel, plus I'm not to worried about handling them.

My stack is still in its infancy stage consisting only of a few bars, half dozen oz of bullion, and quite a bit of 'junk' coins (majority aren't junk though). I did pick up a really nice '21 D Morgan and a nice '23 Peace dollar for $55 at my LCS on Friday.

6. JohnnyCottonmouth

I think this post was originally was ment to be a place for people to chime in with something like "coin/bullion" is only going to have 'x' minted, probably a good idea to buy a few. I say 'I think' because I was half asleep when I wrote it. My bad.

7. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Welcome to the SS forum.

Location can matter. Your personal beliefs about the future value of silver can matter. Your goals can matter. Your views about the future of the world can matter. Your age and health can matter. Your personal financial situation can matter. When and where you plan to sell can matter. Consider all those things.

People tend to tell you to buy what they them self are buying...not necessarily a good strategy to follow.

Get as informed as you can about all aspects of silver.

Enjoy the ride.

8. ironwood

ironwood Active Member Silver Stacker

Off topic but I like your forum handle Johnnycottonmouth. Welcome to SS. :)

9. JohnnyCottonmouth

Thanks! Me too!