Are these milkspots on some older ASEs?

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by SpacePete, Feb 23, 2015.

1. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

A couple of 2009 ASEs pictured below look like they are spotting, or is it something else? I didn't think ASEs would milk spot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

They are and unfortunately ASE's do get milk spottage.

3. silverreef

silverreef Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

are there any coins out there that won't milk spot????

4. SpacePete

I've just found some interesting info on protecting silver coins... will post it imminently.

5. silverprepper999

silverprepper999 New Member

I dont think it is problem with coins. Think about it. Before almost none coins have spots, now almost every have it, even Perrth Mint. So, there something must be wrong with earth athmosphere. To much fumes from diesel vehicles perhaps... just a theory.

6. Flyinfree

Flyinfree Well-Known Member

Maybe you are right!

7. Nabullion Dynamite

Nabullion Dynamite Active Member

We need to come up with a new name for milkspots. Milkspots seems too tame for this silver plague!

8. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Lick the spots. If they taste salty they are probably not milkspots

9. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy New Member

Milk spots are the result of ineffective rinsing during the refining/minting process. They can show up right away or at any future point in time and there's nothing you can do about them without abrading the surface of the coin (with pencil erasers, etc) and destroying coin condition. Toning is different---that results from exposing silver to sulfurous atmospheric contaminants.

As for a better name than "milk spots"---I'm in total agreement with that. How about "RCM Badges Of Honor"?

10. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

How about milk smears?

11. ultimacash

ultimacash Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yes I have bought MS69 2007 ASE with milk spots and had to sell for a loss.

12. silverreef

silverreef Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

So I concluded that there's no point of grading any silver coins.

13. ultimacash

ultimacash Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Not sure but mine still sold for $15 over spot even though milk spots were clearly mentioned.

14. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

I agree for ALL generic bullion. That is a big waste of money. Eagles, maples, philharmonic, Somalian elephants, etc...they are guaranteed to eventually be riddled with white bird dung. But for collectibles or rare gems DEF want graded or get it graded to prove authenticityand conserve against spots. Otherwise a big waste of money on buying a turd.

15. SpacePete

Can we even trust the gradings?

We saw recently that NGC graded a clearly damaged Hera coin as PF70. It's a joke.

[​IMG]
    Source: http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-59662-goddesses-of-olympus-page-1.html

16. sriblo ag47

sriblo ag47 New Member

Fat freddy on RCM coins you can only see milk spots only on bullion coins & not on numismatics coins. Other mints have milk spots on bullion & numismatics coins.

So please think, before you write stupid comments, or do you're research first.

17. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

SP, the 2 major TPG's (PCGS & NGC) do a pretty good job, overall, from my experience.

Yeah, maybe sometimes a 62 should be a 63, or vice versa, for example. And it probably rings a little true that PCGS might under-grade a bit more than they over-grade, when not entirely accurate.. or that NGC might over-grade a bit more than they under-grade, when not entirely accurate. But as a whole, I think they both do fine.

Of course, those occasional instances where one (usually NGC) slaps a 70 on something that's obviously not, is what gets people riled up. It's what makes the "news" -- not the countless other coins that are graded fairly/accurately, which one never hears about.

Don't want to derail the thread, but I know some here are a bit harsher on NGC, so they're certainly free to voice their thoughts re: matters like these.. :D

18. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

Agreed. The few *modern* graded coins that I have are proofs, and typically relatively lower mintages.

High-mintage slabbed BU is silly, IMO.

However -- if for collectability / OCD purposes, one feels the need to have an MS 70 of an ASE BU every year, for example, I'm not going to stop them. It's their money.

Just that they should be aware that they probably won't be seeing huge gains on that, and even then will probably take decades, heh.

But, to each his/her own..

19. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy New Member

You're correct that RCM keeps their nose clean by working at keeping their numismatic coins free of milk spots, which proves that they can do so when they feel like it. They go to the trouble with the numismatic coins because nobody would buy them if they didn't, but they couldn't care less about their bullion coins, so they don't even try with them. You're also correct that other mints put out coins that are afflicted with milk spots, but no other mints put out bullion products that are as badly plagued by the spots as RCM bullion. The silver Maples are bordering on synonymous with milk spots and RCM also let the Wildlife Series and the Birds of Prey series fall victim to the spots as well. RCM is well aware of their problem and they've even responded to criticisms about it. They put out one famous press release a couple years ago and the message they conveyed was basically "Yeah---we know all about it, so what's your point?"

ASEs, Libertads, Noahs Arks and other low-premium bullion coins all have some spotting, but none of them have it to anywhere near the degree that RCM bullion products are characterized by it. RCM is in a class of their own when it comes to spotted bullion, they know about it and they allow it to contine. Most of the buying public tolerates it, so RCM feels empowered to put out spotted bullion and they get away with it. Silver Maples were the first bullion coin I started stacking, but RCM drove me away with their spotted and damaged bullion coins. I haven't bought RCM products for some time and I won't again because there's no sense in buying bullion coins that I know are as flawed as RCM bullion. For close to the same price as Maples I can buy other bullion that's nowhere near as flawed.

So... Don't think that I haven't done my homework or that my comments are stupid. Neither of those things is the case.

20. ryan71

ryan71 Member

Is there any liquid that silver could be stored in, submerged, that would prevent milk spots and tarnish?