Biblical Series: The Crucifixion

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Gatito Bandito, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

2. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Has anyone purchased the first coin in the series?

The Crucifixion is 2 of 6, but the Scottsdale site goes on to say that they will be releasing six coins per year for the next ten years. I was toying with the idea of getting the six until I read that.

In the video clip, they go on to say it was inspired by the greatest book ever written, I immediately thought of the dictionary.

3. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Is it the same as the series discussed in this thread: http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-59193-apmex-gods-of-olympus-style-exodus-coin-revealed.html ?

If so, the 60 * 2oz coins with the packaging is going to take up allot of space.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and:

:eek:

4. Torcan

Torcan New Member Silver Stacker

I was barely able to capture the teaser pic

[​IMG]

5. sammysilver

6. Gatito Bandito

7. Mirek

Mirek New Member

WE are not allowed to nail people to dosses anymore. Some people volunteer as is their zeal. I prefer to buy the coin. Save on nails, buy silver. Wood is expensive. Jesus probably is pissed we keep reminding him though :) Hello jesus, we nailed you to a cross LOL, sorry to keep rubbing it in. But you are Jesus so blame your holy father. I think Australians call this the boomer generation who nail kids to the cross :) God is the boomer and Jesus is X/Y gen. Obviously. But who is Judas?

8. Mirek

Mirek New Member

Sorry, I feel guilty now. :( I have relieif my grandmother doesn't have the internet, she would tell me off like she is doing now in my mind with Jesus. I need to think before typing :)

9. Perth Bullion Company

Perth Bullion Company New Member

10. ego2spare

ego2spare Well-Known Member

worst Disney coins ever....

11. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

Yeah, I just don't get it. Good luck with the series. I just don't see how they get 60 different issues out the door, with 1500 minted. Just not,happening. IMHO. maybe if they minted 500, and that is a push. We shall see.

12. db23

db23 Member

There are buyers for every coin, no matter how awful some of us think they look. I personally can't believe this series made it past the theory stage, but there are probably a lot of people that would love to have this in their collection.

13. AgAuNEWS

AgAuNEWS Member

I'm completely non-religious and won't be buying these, but there's a lot of powerful imagery in Christianity, and Gustave Dore's work is quite superb in many cases. There are hundreds of his illustrations in the portfolio's he published in 1865, so Scottsdale will have zero problems getting 60 good images out there.
    They're sensibly pushing them as six coin sets with an overall program of ten years now, so getting a year set is much less of an issue.

As I said, not quite my thing subject wise, but there's no denying the implementation isn't first-class in my view. I'd love to see a medieval-themed series in this coin format. Antique finish seems made for the period which is why I like Numiscollects Crusades series (http://agaunews.com/?p=14674) so much, even if it isn't rimless.

14. ScottyRS

ScottyRS New Member

I'll be straight. These coins seem extremely pointless and a complete waste of space. I like to display or stack them away. Space obviously is an issue when doing this unless your name is Bill Gates... which you probably aren't really bothered in this series and stack 10oz gold bars.

P.S the above quote did make me laugh out loud in the office... which people stared at me weirdly for...

15. jchrisrobledo

jchrisrobledo Member

I am quite a religious person but that doesn't mean I'm rushing to get them. I seriously hope the mint who produces them doesn't think that's how it works. Just cause there are millions of Christians doesn't mean they are gonna run to buy this coin. Especially since they have minting 60! That is ridiculous.

And that's the thing that is preventing me from purchasing any of these. It's a huge investment. I actually love the designs, but there are just too many. I am currently invested in some silver bullion round series from Provident Metals and those are only 10-12 coins in each series, and that is time consuming and draining. I can't even imagine 60!

Plus, each coin is about $190 USD plus shipping. Can people really invest in about $1,200 USD a year on the series?

Also, space is an issue. Lucky the series I am in are all packed in one medium size display case. But I have been collecting a numismatics over the years and I am running out of space to put all my 'pretty boxes'.

I really really wanna love this and invest in the series but just can't. Anyway, these are my opinions on the series.

16. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

I consider my self a devoted Christian, and I have zero interest in this 60 coin set. That is quite ridiculous. IMHO. But kudos to those who love it. Perhaps there are cllollectors who have been waiting for this series, and will gladly spend the money for the whole set. I hope it is a home run for them.

17. sammysilver

I'm a theologian, and I find the series interesting, but 60 coins in ten years! Perhaps one kilo coin of the crucifixion on the mantelpiece would be a goer.

18. Gatito Bandito

Whenever this series comes up, seems like many people speak like the buyers of these are collecting the entire thing.. Or that if a purchaser picks one up, they automatically now have to buy all 60..

Can't they just buy 1 or 2 designs that they really like each year?? :lol:

19. jchrisrobledo

jchrisrobledo Member

That's a good point! But that's how I feel. I cannot purchase just one of a series.

Like if I am gonna buy one, I have to buy them all! I guess that's the OCD in me but it would irk me that I don't have the entire collection.

I'm sure out of the crazy amount of 60 coins, there will be one I really like and probably wanna get, but I would be hesitant cause I would only have like, 1/60th of the series haha.