HELP!! Niue Romanesque Art of "The Art that Changed the World"

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by TexasSilverBandit, Feb 20, 2015.

1. TexasSilverBandit

TexasSilverBandit Member

Hello fellow stackers,

I need Help on the following Coin produced from the Mint of Poland. It is called "Niue Romanesque Art of "The Art that Changed the World" series $10 Silver Coin 2014 Agate Insert Antique Finish 3 oz". I bought each of these coins and own them. One has a Mintage of 222, and the other has a Mintage of 555. I ordered this coin (mintage 222) on EBay and today I got a package which was supposed to contain the mintage of 222 version. However, they sent me the coin that has the higher mintage of 555? I am trying to figure out what is the difference between these two coins? They look to me to be identical? I have been looking at both and trying to figure it out.

The link below is from First Coin Company, and shows a listing for BOTH of these coins, side by side, again the higher priced one with a Mintage of 222, and the other one that costs a little less, has a Mintage of 555 pieces.

See link below.

https://firstcoincompany.com/S/inde...t of "The Art that Changed the World" series

I contacted the company who sent it to me, but I am trying to understand WHAT THE HECK the difference is myself. Again, I have TWO of these coins, and one box says 222, and the other 555, so I KNOW Each exist. Any help is appreciated!

I am in the USA and of course, the coin came from Germany, which won't be fun to send back. Again, any smart stacker assistance on this is greatly appreciated. I am stumped!

Have a great weekend everyone!

The Bandit....................... (Who doesn't know much about coins obviously, since I can't figure this out!)

2. sriblo ag47

sriblo ag47 New Member

Mintage of 222 is a Antique Finish 3 oz.

Mintage of 555 is Proof Finish 3 oz.

I guess somebody made a mistake and ship you a Proof coin instead of Antique.

Sorry, that this happen you.

3. TexasSilverBandit

TexasSilverBandit Member

First of ALL, Thank You so much. Now it smacks me in the face!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was looking at each coin, on-line, and trying to see any design differences, I didn't even think to look at the finish!

The Mintage of 222, seems like it is worth more, due to the Lower Mintage, right? It is even priced higher in the Link I gave you. What would you do???? Keep it, make them give me a partial refund, or swap it out?

4. sriblo ag47

sriblo ag47 New Member

You're absolutely right, the Antique mintage of 222, is worth more, due to the lower mintage.. And also more desirable.

The seller on Ebay from Germany that sold you that coin, made a mistake and ship you a proof coin instead of Antique one.

Here's what i would do if this happen to me.

I would take a pictures of the coin and send them with the message to the seller, telling him what happen and ask him how he would resolve this issue.

Here's what kind of answer i would expect from the seller.

Apologize, giving me options. I keep the coin plus a partial refund, complete refund, exchange for the right coin and seller pays for return shipping with tracking #.

I can also write to the seller, if he has a family member or a friend living in the States, i can ship the coin to them, to save time and money to the seller. And seller can ship the right coin from Germany.

When i will received a message from the seller, then i can decide and make a decision what to do.

I hope this will help.

5. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

You need to first and foremost read very carefully the description of the auction you won. If it states "antique finish" and you received the proof finish then you certainly have a legit complaint and you can handle it the way you want. If you yourself made the mistake by not reading the auction description carefully, then you may not have any recourse. That said, you could still contact the seller and find out if s/he can exchange and you pay difference of price and shipping both ways.

If I am the seller and the buyer makes the mistake, I am under no obligation whatsoever to bend over backwards to somehow make up for someone else's mistake.

6. TexasSilverBandit

TexasSilverBandit Member

It was a mistake and the seller readily admitted it. He is from Germany, and I didn't realize it was HIM who sold it to me, we are somewhat friends, or have a good relationship, so I am not worried.

However, he told me to send him what I PAID for the other 2 I bought! The funny thing is the 2 I got were BOTH SUPPOSED to be 555 mintage, but even the other seller sent me one of each by mistake, but I was happy so I kept it. The box is identical except for the Mintage Number.

The bad thing for the seller, is I paid REALLY LOW prices for my coins, as I got lucky in auctions, BOTH in the $190's!!!!!!!!!!!!!! $200 average shipped! I paid about $287 for this one and MY GUESS, is he will refund me the difference of what I paid on the other 2 coins, vs. this one, so I might get lucky and get 3 of these coins for under $200 each!

I already bought more coins from this seller and we will have a good long term relationship I think. I will let you guys know the final outcome. But as you can see, it is an easy mistake to have made, but the ad clearly stated Mintage of 222 and Antique finish, so there is no discussion, the seller, by a simple Mistake, is in the wrong. It would be easier to refund me money than to mess with shipping coins back n forth to Germany, so we will see. Heck, I am fair, and so is he, so it should be easy. But I think if he matches the price, he is selling below his cost!

7. Luker

Luker Member

Sorry to add to your confusion but...

TopWorldCoins has the mintage of the antique version at 555:

http://www.topworldcoins.com/us-ca/...ged-the-world-3-oz-antique-finish-silver-coin

The Proof is also listed as having a mintage of 555:

http://www.topworldcoins.com/us-ca/...that-changed-the-world-3-oz-proof-silver-coin

8. TexasSilverBandit

TexasSilverBandit Member

That may be TRUE above, BUT, I have BOTH BOXES in my possession, and there is one box with 222 (Antique) and the other Proof with 555.

Even the sellers of this coin are confused. Trust me, I bought 2 Proofs, from the SAME vendor, and they sent me 2 different coins. 1 Proof (555) and one antique finish (222 mintage). I know what the coins are now, the sellers don't. the 222 is antique, the 555 is a proof. If someone takes a picture of the BOX that shows Antique with a Mintage of 555, I will believe it, otherwise, we got this figured out already. Us Texas boys are smart, eventually, just takes a few kicks by a mule to get the gears moving in the brain sometimes....

9. TexasSilverBandit

TexasSilverBandit Member

10. AgAuNEWS

AgAuNEWS Member

That is a beautiful piece and a super deal.

11. TexasSilverBandit

TexasSilverBandit Member

Hey Guys, just wanted to update the few following my thread. I got my 6 OZ Niue Coin today, in perfect shape and packaged so well!!!!!!!!! He said he had a GIFT for me on top of the bad ass deal he gave me. It was a Tom & Jerry Proof Coin from the Mint of Poland. That was nice. I wouldn't have bought it, BUT, on EBay several just sold for $75!

WOW, that was cool fo him. Now we have become friends on-line and that didn't hurt, but he didn't need to send me that, but I appreciated it! Now I have (2) 2013 Niue Fortuna Redux 6 oz. Cylinder Coin.

The Mintage is only 2,500 coins, so that isn't too bad! It really looks amazing and is heavy! Very unique piece.