Not Impressed with Lunar Skulls

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by aussiesilver, Feb 19, 2015.

1. aussiesilver

aussiesilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I must say i am not terribly impressed with the new Lunar Skulls.. Just had 2 arrive in a shoddy small padded bag. Both coins that i ordered were proof and both arrived in a flimsy plastic ziplock bag. Both the certificates also arrived in a seperate ziplock bag. No outer case or any thing presentable,not boxed at all.

The accompanying certificate simple shows that there are 500/2000 Proof and unc and my coins are numbered xxx/500 which i assume means that they are proof. Quality of coin is good with a number i believe in Black on the face of the Obverse of the coin on the rim which does detract from the look.

Anyone want to buy them :(

[​IMG]

2. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Looks okay but I think this series may have been overhyped.

3. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Can't make it out too well, is the coin in a capsule?

If so, it isn't too bad. I would rather spend the money on the coin than on a box.

4. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

Hey I love them. I think they're worth 500.00. Okay, maybe not 500.00, how about 225? :D Okay, I'll take 200. Definitely worth 200.00, yes? :lol:

5. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I am personally very happy that the coins are distributed like this and that they have resisted the urge to package up the coins in some ridiculous box. This is supreme professionalism. If you want some tacky packaging, there are plenty of 3rd party options available, or you could switch to the Star Trek coins.

Coin packaging thread: http://forums.silverstackers.com/to...ckaging-small-coins-in-huge-boxes-page-1.html

6. db23

db23 Member

If it wasn't advertised for sale with a box why would you expect it to come with one? FWIW - the Rwanda Proof coins don't come with a box and nobody seems to complain about that.

These came out much better than I expected them to, though I still expect we'll see the way over inflated premium come back down to earth over time and these will settle down around $60-80 USD.

7. aussiesilver

Is that an offer Barsenault?

8. barsenault

Oh man, I'm sorry, not an offer. that's what I've sold mine for...just hope my last one sells for that much. Maybe BB will take it off your hands for that much? :D

9. aussiesilver

When you spend around $150 for a proof coin which as much hype as this came with i would have thought they were a bit more generous in the packaging. Your a generous person BB.

Initially there was plenty of questioning whether they could get the result as good as the artwork,i dont believe they have. Time will tell

10. barsenault

I think the design is super fantastic. The high relief is stellar, like nothing else on the market. I think folks should continue to bid these marvelous works of art to the 200 and 300 dollar range. I mean the artistic appeal of the goat, with all it's fine detail, and mirror like proof...and ONLY 500 minted. I mean it as to be worth at least 200/300, if not close to 500.00. Yes?

11. TexasSilverBandit

TexasSilverBandit Member

Mine just came today and I got #80 out of 500. It was exactly what I expected. It was VERY WELL packaged and the COA and Coin were in separate zip lock bags. The number on the rim at first, I thought I got a coin with damage, but it is just the individually numbered coin, and it does slightly detract from the look, but it also adds to the uniqueness. With 500 and people really liking these, they are NOT going to come down as most won't sell at a loss! Some of these went for $300. It was absolutely the most expensive 1 oz. coin I have ever bought. I paid $231.88, and yes that is a LOT for a 1 oz. coin, but it was wildly popular and the first in this guys series of coins. Also got some BU, which I haven't received and those went for around $80-$90 each!

I WANT to get a BOX for this as it will protect it and give me a place to put my COA. The future will determine if we all got screwed, or these will stay what we paid for them, or, increase. Again, most paid a very high price, some got them for less when they first started being sold, but most paid around what I did.

I like it, just not the price....

12. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

Certainly not suggesting what holders of this coin should or shouldn't do with them, but it's probably a good idea to keep in mind that this series doesn't have much general awareness, even at this point, relatively speaking. I think it's pretty safe to assume that the "Apmex crowd" has no idea this series even exists, and might not for a while yet.

I could see the Lunar Skulls potentially gaining a fair amount more traction, with an increasing "cult" following, over the years, given its nature. Some collectors later to the game will want to complete their sets to-date, trying to hunt down this 1st year.

And with only 500 available?

What do you think some of them would be willing to pay in a few years?

Rhetorical question. Or not. :D

Good luck to whatever you do!

13. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Yes, exactly.

14. Shippeevt

Shippeevt Member

Yea I would complain to much about the packaging... I paid a lot for a 2014 2oz libertad proof and they don't come with a box or coa. But I know this coin is lacking something... Havent quite put my finger on it though.

15. Shippeevt

Shippeevt Member

I know I wasn't a fan of the random drawing of numbers... I was right there when this went up for sale and I got 230

16. Luker

Luker Member

I know what you mean , as I was probaly one of the first 10 people to order...but I am sure that those who ordered later (and most assuredly paid more) will be happy if they receive a low C.O.A. Then again, there are those who prefer certain numbers like 77 or 88, or 499...so perhaps the random draw all evens out. Perhaps his thinking was in line with artists who make low mintage limited edition prints. The idea there is that each print is an exact replica ; thus, the actual number has no relation to the selling price in the market. That said, I have yet to receive my four proofs, so I do have a chance of receiving a lower COA#. I imagine that I will also hold on to all of them for at least a few years.

Cheers,
    Luker

17. db23

db23 Member

In all fairness, do you think that Perth Mint selects COA numbers based on order sequence? It would have been a TON of extra work for them to try to sort COA numbers like that.

18. Nabullion Dynamite

Nabullion Dynamite Active Member

I didn't mind the random draw. I think I was # 13 purchased on Ebay. Got number 81. Who knows, perhaps the first early numbers were contracted to first coin company. I think the random generator was fair. Many people desire different numbers, not just the low numbers. Sequences and patterns too.

However if you order multiple your COA numbers should be numerical I think.

19. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

No one was promised that they would get an early number if they ordered early so there should be no reason why you aren't a fan of the randomness since no one forced anyone else to buy this coin nor was there a guarantee of serial number.

It's akin to a complaint that the lottery number I picked wasn't the winning number. :/

20. SilverKendo

SilverKendo New Member

I'm glad I didn't take a punt. Not a fan of this one. The design doesn't feel balanced to me. Maybe too much negative/blank space? I dunno? Something feels a little off and I can't put my finger on it. I hope everyone who ordered one is happy though.