New RCM $100 for $100 Coin - 2015 Canadian Horse

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Spyder, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Spyder

Spyder Member

I just received notification of the newest coin in the $100 for $100 Royal Canadian Mint series. This is the Canadian Horse. Free shipping to Canada and USA residents with a max of 3 coins per household.

[​IMG]
    Source: Royal Canadian Mint

2. Spyder

Spyder Member

While some may consider these overpriced bullion, I like the diversification that they add to my holdings by essentially exchanging face value paper fiat for face value silver fiat. The other coins in the $20/$20, $50/$50 and $100/$100 series from the Royal Canadian Mint and the U.K. Royal Mint ( for ) have been truly artful.

3. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think if it was a direct choice between holding $100 in a piece of paper worth nothing or holding $100 in an ounce of silver worth $20 I would rather have the silver option.

I have a good number of the $20 for $20 and the 20 for 20 coins and they are pretty interesting but I lost interest when they started really cranking them out and never bothered with the $50 for $50, $100 for $100 or 100 for 100.

I think if you are investing in them with the hope of flipping them sometime down the track to a collector then these have proven to be a pretty safe bet.

The silver coins are ok if you don't want to spend the money, but if you do try you will find few places willing to accept them, so they are pretty much like any other non-circulating legal tender in that respect.

It is nice to get your money back should you want to, I bought some 1oz coloured dragon coins for around the same price and I will be hard pressed getting my money back on those if I chose to sell them now.

I guess they are comparable in price to other 1oz numismatic offerings so anyone complaining over how much metal you get for $100 is probably used to buying semi-numismatic or bullion offerings. Fortunately we live in a world where both are readily available so people who don't like the $X for $X programs can still get cheaper silver.

I would probably be collecting them all if I lived in Canada, and probably the same for the UK offerings as well. Sadly by the time I have paid eBay prices, foreign exchange, paypal and postage it is no longer a face value swap so it just ends up being a very expensive foreign coin.