Would You/Do you Store you Silver in a Bank Deposit Box ?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Liquid, Feb 9, 2015.

1. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

2. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

3. Silverlicious

Silverlicious Member

Just bury in the bush .. do NOT lose the GPS coordinates and make sure it's not in an area known for gold deposits. Just use a PVC pipe.. forget the bullshite about tarnishing.. ensure you wrap it a few times in good plastic. Put in PVCpipe, screw on the ends.. bury at least 3 feet.. then bury a can or two (soft drink) at two levels above your PVCpipe.. JUST in case someone comes along (LONG SHOT) with a detector.. the detector goes off, they find the first can, they check one more time for safe keeping, the detector goes off and finds the second can.. they then give up.. if you are really paranoid, you ca get a CCTV camera that is batery operated and runs off a SIM card.. it will capture video and photo from a built in sensor, and then email you a photo. Its like an alarm essentially. Anyone goes near your stack, you will at least be alerted. Cost? Maybe couple hundred for the camera, and another $00 or less per year for a SIM with data pack. You don't need to capture people near your stack, what you want is to be alerted so you can get there, or call the cops or your neighbour or whoever. It is an alarm!!!

4. ryan71

ryan71 Member

Some say, "Don't worry about the banks or the government raiding your safe deposit box or you bank account. It's never happened and it never will happen". I say, governments across the world have never been in the fix their in, right now.

5. Niveka

Niveka New Member

Boggles my mind how people are so eager to place control in other peoples hands. Why? How could that possibly be better than having control yourself? And the excuse about protecting yourself from theft is BS in my opinion, there are plenty of ways to manage your PM's yourself without involving third parties that are completely safe from theft. It's almost like these people are brainwashed to "hand it over".

6. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I too live in an apartment, but I bury my stack in the aspidistra pot.

7. Niveka

Niveka New Member

Do you have access to the roof of your apartment? If so attach your stack to a weather balloon and anchor it to the roof with thin cord, it will be virtually invisible to the naked eye.

8. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

:lol:

That's a joke right ?

:|

9. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Well-Known Member

Sounds like they had very specific safe deposit boxes in them. Of course people are going to know they contain valuables and raid them!
    I'm talking about regular Kennards et.al storage units that don't have these, and just store peoples old furniture and nick-knacks.

10. Niveka

Niveka New Member

No joke, works great for traveling too. Just tie the cord to your belt and to the average observer you are just a guy walking around town, they have no idea that you have 3000oz of ag floating 2000 feet above your head.

11. trew

Well you are probably looking at $1000 or more per year for storage units so how is that better ?

12. trew

Do you tie it to your car when you go driving around ?

Don't pilots complain about the balloon being tied to the plane ?

13. rara200284

rara200284 Member

If you hide it in your house, the base safety measure is to never tell people about your gold or silver. Loose lips sink ships. And I read how some people don't trust banks since they can close the banks down and you won't have access to your PM. Maybe you'll need your PM right now, or maybe not. Use your best judgment. Most people don't trust banks because look at what the U.S. Federal Reserve Bank does with other countries' gold.
    "Of course Germany, yes we still have all your gold. What? You want to take a look at your own gold for safe measure? We cannot let you do that, you only have our word."

14. GoldenEye

GoldenEye Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think the Kennards robbery was in a high security zone with 24 hour guard. Apparently it was fairly easy for a single person to enter and steal piles of cash, gold and jewelery from numerous boxes.

We've also recently had a member who had his home broken into and the alarm was disabled, phone lines cut, and a 500kg safe opened by force. Your house is not safe.

Burying your PMs might sound attractive, but it's clear that not all buried treasure is recovered by the owners. They're still finding PMs that were buried many years ago and this is probably only a small percentage of all that was lost.

I have never heard of places like Guardian Vaults being robbed in Australia. However, during extreme times (such as Nazi Germany) the Govt has been known to raid SDBs of law abiding persons.

There's no place that's 100% safe.

15. robertc400

robertc400 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

That's one of the funniest thing I've ever heard :)

16. tozak

tozak Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Please can you do a video for the inexperienced weather balloonists on the site here, believe it or not but some of us on here have never launched a weather balloon and would probably stuff it up and loose our 3000oz of Ag to lightning or some other logistical factors we have not considered.

17. serial

serial Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

no I didn't lose my stack in a boating accident. I lost it in a weather balloon accident. It floated of towards south Africa last time I saw it

18. SilverDJ

You likely wouldn't get one just to store your stack.
    But if you have one because you store personal stuff in there already , then it's probably not a bad option.
    BTW, a small Kennards locker is $25/month.

19. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAsKbfhLfIc[/youtube]

20. SilverDJ

Most people have TV sets worth more than 2 kilos of silver, yet they'll protect that silver like it belongs in Fort Knox!