Silver VS Gold once and for-all answer the question

Discussion in 'Silver' started by copperhead, Feb 7, 2015.

1. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

When I think back to the first days of stacking I had such a innocence if not ignorance. I have studied charts and see if you stack long enough you will be one with the highs and lows for silver or gold relative to the economy. Meaning silver at current prices is low as your buying power of $20 fiat is the same as $10 fiat 10 20 years ago give or take .

So what is the better investment
    Silver or Gold
    I think gold might be a bit overpriced
    and silver is and always seems a better deal
    silver I feel has more room to exceed and still be affordable
    can we believe the hype that silver is under priced / undervalued ?
    cause if it is indeed so .
    Silver is all that should be invested in
    as to Precious metals

2. JB3

JB3 Member

Except in the UK, where VAT on silver makes physical silver overpriced compared to gold.

So I hold predominantly silver in my allocated, offshore accounts and predominantly gold close to hand. (By value, that is, not weight!)

3. JB3

JB3 Member

I also have a small exposure to Pt, buying at times like these when it's cheaper than gold...

4. silverprepper999

silverprepper999 New Member

and except in third world countries like Bosnia, where people do not care about silver, only gold is valued. you can not sell silver bullion here, nobody (or very very few people) wants it or collects it. gold at contrary is easy to sell and everybody wants it. platinum and paladium? people would laugh if you offer to sell palladium bullion.... :D copper would be more accepted :D

5. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

Gold is insurance, silver is speculating.

6. silvestor

silvestor Member Silver Stacker

Interesting. Why do you say Bosnia is a third world country? I didn't think there was a single third world country in Europe.

7. Miloman

Miloman Active Member Silver Stacker

Ok here's the thing... rarity plays less of a role than what people think. It's all about the psychology of demand.

Platinum and palladium are both 30x rarer than gold and yet trade at a discount to gold. Yes I know the markets are controlled but a real physical squeeze if one were to happen would change that and to get the squeeze to happen would be far easier at these levels to do with platinum or palladium than silver or gold. Though if demand for silver and gold continues to outpace supply then it's only a matter of time.

Both silver and gold have been monetary metals BUT the psychology of gold is far greater than silver despite silver being the more common. I think the silver market will do well under the majority of circumstance but makes no mistake the populace believe in GOLD far more. Why? I think most here know the answers.

Even though silver is a form of money in that in the past had great acceptance and desirability with the populace all you need to do is simply travel with both a silver and gold coin around the world... and I've traveled a bit, and see what the vast majority of ordinary people are willing to accept? If you guessed gold, your right. But that's not to say silver won't be accepted in the future just that the continuity to the present of gold has been far stronger.

Even the forum member above spoke about how in Bosnia only gold was accepted. I think that there is a lesson in that.

So will the GSR reflect the occurrence in the earth of 16 to 1? Who knows, historically it is undervalued and the silver story ("psychology") is compelling enough to attract a substantial number of people who will likely figure it out.

I agree silver is a smart speculation but the psychology of gold is simply too strong to not own under the circumstances where one wants to own precious metals. Own both.

Disclosure: I hope to own gold one day and own 2 whole silver ounces and currently in the process of saving for my third ounce of silver.

8. Peter

Peter Well-Known Member

Gold is 1580/1800 of its highest price in aud,
    Silver is 21.40/48 of it's highest price.
    Most gold buyers would be ahead.

As they say, money talks.

9. boston

boston Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

This is on the mark!

10. theFNG

theFNG New Member

The F-ing New Guy here. I have just started stacking last month. My first investment was silver. I thought about it for a while as to go gold or silver. Here in the states, the US silver dollar is easy to get so I went with silver. Also in a SHTF world, most of the silver mines are in South America. I'm sure the US would invade and take over down there to control silver output and make the dollar linked to silver.

11. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

Their is a coin store salesmen that once mentioned something that I interpreted contrary to his conversation of what he meant .
    He said Gold is trickier to buy then silver . he went on to say he picked up 2 one oz gold coins & currently has been calling some clients to see who might buy them . He said you gotta do foot work to move it .
    Silver just simply sells as fast as he gets it .
    It occurred to me this conversation happened during golds recent below $1200 extravaganza . If gold could have a value of $3000
    only the rich will play .
    But silver has plenty of room for barter or selling to your average Joe .

12. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

In terms of cashing out your metal entirely or piecemeal, it really depends on where you live, what form your PM's come in, who you are, what avenues are readily open to you as a seller, and when you sell.

It's elementary my dear stackers!

13. Devils Metal

Devils Metal New Member

I would greatly disagree as you are not considering money invested. Look at increase in silver in last month at some given time say up $1.00 and godl was up $30. GSR was 70*$1.00= silver went up $70.00 at the same time gold only gained 30 bucks.

14. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

To hear this does bother me . I'd like to feel I have a PM universally wanted .
    Here in the USA people want it .
    Yet Gold seems like a part of our DNA humans just love it .

15. Bottle_fed_stang

Bottle_fed_stang New Member

This is precisely why I prefer silver to gold!

16. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

A stack is incremental in nature. Most of us can only afford silver.