Book safe??

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Theantifunie, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

LOL as we all do

2. HateFiat

HateFiat New Member

I would store a token amount inside a book safe as a deliberate decoy. But since criminals could be counted on searching/wrecking the place looking for more valuables, the only real option would be to break up the stack and store it in many different places and properties if possible. That way they would only get some of it and not all of it.

You might also buy a reasonably heavy safe, and put junk in it. By the time they realize it was a decoy... >:3

3. S. Ohno

S. Ohno Member

Do thieves actually look behind bookcases? What do they do, knock them over? What if it is bolted to the wall?
    I am sure no one will find the tunnel through the center of the earth to fort knox.

4. milkyspot

milkyspot Member

the best hiding places are which only familymembers know and shall not be discussed on the internets.

hollow books is the first thing i would look for hidden money.

yes, i also have a bankfault.

5. serial

serial Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I actually liked one persons idea to mix high power laxatives in 1/3 bottle of premium Bourbon then contacting the local hospitals if you have a break in. No law against having laxativs laying around the house and there is a good chance the thieves will drive the bottle that they can't sell being openef

6. SilverKendo

SilverKendo New Member

Instead of worrying where to hide your stack in your house I think your better and safer bet is to make your house less of a target. Keep bushes trimmed, get an alarm system and display the signs that you have the service, have motion activated flood lights outside, get a dog, keep your doors locked, if you can vary your schedule as you leave and come home, etc. Unless the burglar knows you and wants what you have the hassel isn't worth it and they'll just visit your neighbor instead.

7. Mitchell

Mitchell Member

What if they give it to or share it with an innocent person, who ends up ill or dead?

I'm not sure of the law on this, but even if it's the thief you kill, wouldn't that constitute voluntary manslaughter?

Your intent to seriously harm a person through poisoning would be demonstrated by the fact that you've put strong laxatives in the drink (what other reason could there be?), and without even needing the thieve to point the finger at you, you've already attested to your guilt by contacting the hospitals and informing them of your crime.

8. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

You can also summon a dragon from another realm and have the dragon keep patrol inside the house. Any intruders who dare enter become a tidy little meal for your dragon. Problem solved. :)

9. serial

I can live with myself if this happened. I don't believe that anyone who drinks with a thief is entirely innocent , besides they are receiving stolen goods. Furthermore laxatives won't kill them if they seek medical help which they are only going to avoid if they are criminals. Lastly I do actually have laxatives in the house for when I get bound up. It is medication that is legal to own and I am not responsible legally for the actions of some one who has stolen my medication them overdosed. Next you will Say chemist are liable if someone overdoses on stolen drugs

10. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Serial you would go down without a doubt. It's like putting a spiked pit in the garden. Lots of case law around. I remember one where a garage owner was sued by a thief who broke his legs when he fell into the hole that mechanics stand in to service under the car. Apparently the court decided that the owner was liable for leaving a dangerous hole inside a locked room. If they thief had died, the charge would've been manslaughter.

Junkies are incredibly cunning and mostly pretty smart (see Trivial Facts thread!) and will rip the place apart if they're hurting.

Pprofessional thieves are just that, professional. If you think you can do more than deter them from casual robbery you're going to lose. If a professional knows you have valuables they'll take them if they want.

The only truly safe place is in a well guarded vault facility. If you have enough stack to worry about, it's a very small expense in the scheme of things.

To quote a few old sayings - 'Penny wise, pound foolish', and 'The ship was lost for want of a ha'penny of tar'.

11. fishtaco

fishtaco Active Member Silver Stacker

What if Callisy is the robber?

12. serial

"Serial you would go down without a doubt. It's like putting a spiked pit in the garden. Lots of case law around"
    no it is not, what you described is a mantrap which is illegal. what I have described is my storage of an over the counter medication, total legal.
    "I remember one where a garage owner was sued by a thief who broke his legs when he fell into the hole that mechanics stand in to service under the car. Apparently the court decided that the owner was liable for leaving a dangerous hole inside a locked room. If they thief had died, the charge would've been manslaughter"
    I call bs, links please as I have heard this old chestnut so many times but people either have made it up or left out other issues central to the decision. either way I think your wrong but I do agree with one comment you made.
    professionals cant be stopped, the way I deal with them is store my valuables in a Safety deposit box so they don't target my house. its the junkies/petty thieves I am talking about who will enter your property without any idea what's in it if they can and steal anything worth stealing in there eyes eg alcohol, electronics, cash, jewellery .

13. BoliverT.

BoliverT. New Member

Some may deem this off topic but are citizens of Australia allowed to own firearms? Where I live you have the right to defend your property not that I would drop anyone in their tracks for stealing something but if it was home invasion that's a whole different ballgame as non felons have the right to own semi automatic assault rifles with thirty round clips and handguns with 17+1 I'm not sure if any gun store handgun has a clip with more capacity. Just saying.

14. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Well-Known Member

Yes, but under very strict conditions, and self defense is not one of them. They must also be kept in a safe with the ammunition separate.

We have quite good home invasion laws here, and you are allowed to defend yourself and others in your home.
    In this country it is incredibly rare to be the victim or a random gun crime, makes front page nationwide news if it happens.
    Being confronted by a criminal with a gun in this country is statistically so remote that very few here even gives a thought - except for the pro-gun owners of course.
    We do not have a gun culture at all.

15. Sonic

Sonic New Member

OTC Laxative+booze is not a lethal poison anyway so this whole tangent was pointless.

16. Niveka

Niveka New Member

Seeing as we're slightly off topic already... When I was 16 years old it was my dream to immigrate to Australia. I truly believed that the moment I got out of school I would pack everything I own into a backpack and buy a one way ticket to your wonderful country. Of course like most dreams time is very effective at chipping away at them until they are either distant memories of forgotten entirely. Also, I did make some big moves in my 20's and learned that no-matter where you go things are likely to be quite a bit like where you are right now, any far flung paradise is only that to those who are not there....

17. slvcoins

slvcoins New Member

This is probably the most important thing you can do to prevent robbers.

If no one knows you have PMs at home, making your home 'too risky' is the way to go.

Here's something interesting if you have to leave home for awhile. Simulate a fake TV while you're away.
    http://www.faketv.com/

18. Lord_Dudley

Lord_Dudley Active Member Silver Stacker

Has anyone tried putting their stack in a black painted low profile box and store it in the ceiling via manhole. Under the pinks batts?

I just get annoyed everytime I need to fondle the shiny babies I need to get a ladder from the garage.

19. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Well-Known Member

You just told everyone where you hide your shiny babies, and that the means to get them is in your garage.
    *slow clapping*

20. The Crow

The Crow Member Silver Stacker

Make sure to plant roses or other briars around windows. Supposed to be one of the most effective deterrents to house break-ins. Make sure that you buy the most thorny varieties and let them grow nice and thick.
    Flowers are just a bonus.

And I am fairly certain that in OZ, anything that reeks of "booby-trapping" your house is seriously out of the question.
    And I know of one fellow who sued a business for falling through their ceiling in the process of entering their premises after hours with nefarious purpose. I didn't hear the outcome, but the case seemed to be taken seriously.