What's your sale point? Do you have one?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Sonic, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Sonic

Sonic New Member

If silver is on the up and up, at what point are you cashing in? Would you cash in at all, or would it make you feel your precious metals are, well, more precious and be fearful of letting go? I haven't thought this far ahead yet. I can only hope it doesn't happen anytime soon, because I'm not ready.

And I'm not talking (necessarily) crazy moon prices, just a hypothetical steady incline, maybe reaching 40+ which is pretty high comparatively, would you have already sold before it reached that point, or take a chance and hold out? Since I came in the game at a pretty low price, I'm really not sure what I would do, but I'd be profiting no matter what, so I wouldn't be able to complain too much if I sold too early. Maximizing profits is the idea but there's an element of luck involved in that game.

2. silverprepper999

silverprepper999 New Member

2000 eur/oz gold is my selling point

3. Revils

Revils Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I try keep my stack at a certain % of my overall wealth - so sometimes need to sell some things when I buy too much or if spot goes up, sometimes need to buy more when the reverse happens. There isn't a price where I'd sell everything.

4. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

GSR 35. I'd flip my silver for gold.

5. serial

serial Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

When the value of the silver I have can clear my house debt. So about $250 an oz
    Not quite to da moon value but close I know. However I honestly believe it can happen and every year I add to my stack the necessary value get lower because I have more silver

6. Icon

Icon Member

Depends on if the economy is still up and running, or if it's about to crash hard. I would like to get enough to keep half my stack at zero cost.

7. Sonic

Sonic New Member

$250 sounds like a lunar price to me. I hope it happens eventually too but if silver is selling for that much then how much would a gallon of milk or gas be selling for? I wonder what, if anything, could trigger such a big price change without also affecting the prices of everything else. It would certainly be a golden time for us if silver was $200 but gas still $2.00.

8. JB3

JB3 Member

I do something similar, but I haven't yet sold to achieve that (I traded a bit of gold for USD last week, but not for this reason).

If spot rises, or I just have too much metal for my 'target' proportion, I just stop buying metal and invest in other asset classes until I catch up.

I find it much harder to sell metal than to buy it. This probably means I'm too attached to the concept of PMs to make a good investor, though!

9. robertc400

robertc400 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I too have a mortgage I would like to get rid of. When I started stacking I needed 100oz to free it. 3ys down the track and I only need $45oz to get there. So I'm exceited as that price is a real possibility. :)

10. motorbikez

motorbikez Member Silver Stacker

I haven't got a sale point I'm a collector and keep the coins I buy because I like them, I'm not saying I wouldn't sell a duplicate at some time, but I have no need to sell anything.

11. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Currency wars.

What will you hold?

12. Audeamus

Audeamus Member

It's a good question Sonic. For me it doesn't come down to a predetermined price. I hold Pm's for wealth protection and will only know the sell price based on the politics of the day. Personally I don't know why anyone would hold physical if the intention is to sell on a few dollar move, there are much better ways to do that trade.

I believe most of the serious stackers here would have difficulty answering your question specifically because stacking is a philosophy not a price point. Many have come and gone because they are chasing a price that never came or they lost the point off it all. I say this to the extent that if you really believed in holding PM's for the reason that printing fiat to oblivion cannot win against real money, then as the metal price dropped you would have no problem buying more because the core reason has not changed one bit, just the price. Dollar cost average and you will always buy at the bottom the reverse is also true.

Acknowledging there is defiantly a time to sell - Based what happened last week with the Swiss removing the peg and the start of ECB QE program. I would say we are looking down the barrel of all the reasons we hold PM's. The time to convert may be closer than I thought. So the answer to your question is No, but my finger would be on the trigger for a partial sale at $50-60 Silver and $2300-2400 Gold. I will also be looking at a GSR trade at some point in the cycle.

Just make sure you sell before everyone else!

13. Eruaran

Eruaran Member

Like Sammy I'd be flipping silver for gold, so for me also its not about the price its about the GSR.

14. ryan71

ryan71 Member

Trade for land at some point.

15. Peter

Peter Well-Known Member

When the world economy looks alot more stable I will sell.

16. HateFiat

HateFiat New Member

When I can turn a small profit on them or when the GSR plummets. I have no exact price at which I would sell, as the price of PMs is relative to supply, demand, geopolitical conditions, inflation, etc.

17. banks kept their metals

banks kept their metals New Member

My plan is to only sell if needed in the future to pay bills when I retire.

for sure playing the GSR flip back and forth when the ratio meets my points, 35 would be sweet if it happens as mentioned earlier.
    then I would return the flip to silver if ever the ratio returned higher.

why would I sell for fiat? Only if I need the fiat to purchase something or pay a debt.

Interest rates are so low now, until they rise, I'm keeping all my metals, expecting a rise soon (up $2 for this year, the up trend may have arrived)

18. SilverKendo

SilverKendo New Member

My silver stack has just now doubled from my initial stack I was left by my great grandmother (all US 90% silver). I have slightly more 999 silver than I do 900 junk (by ASW). Unless I am in need of cash to pay bills, some other living expense or the price of PMs go stupid high my plan is to hold the stack. I think I would like to even include it into intergenerational wealth transfer to my heirs (like my g-grandmother did). As it is, 1/2 my stack is already in the hands of the 4th generation (me). If silver went crazy, above $50-$60 for a sustained period of time, yeah I might sell. The GRS swaps seem like a strong-hand move but just too much work for me right now.